Partition function problem (Reif)

In summary, by considering the classical partition function, we can derive the equation of state for a homogeneous mixture of ideal gases and find the relationship between the total pressure and the partial pressures of the individual gases.
Tom1
Hi, I am trying to work through some of the problems in Reif, not for homework, but to prepare for a final. I was hoping someone could show me how to work through the first problem of chapter seven in Reif.

7.1 - Consider a homogeneous mixture of intert monatomic ideal gases at absolute temperature T in a container of volume V. Let there be v1 moles of gas 1, and v2 moles of gas 2, ..., and vk moles of gas k.

(a) By considering the classical partition function of this system, derive its equation of state, i.e., find an expression for the total mean pressure p.

(b) How is this total pressure p of the gas related to the pressure p_i, which the ith gas would produce if it alone occupied the entire volume at this temperature?

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer: (a) The classical partition function of the system is given by Z = (V/h^3)^(N/2) ∏_i (2πm_i kT/h^2)^(v_i/2). Here, N is the total number of moles of the gas mixture, h is Planck's constant, m_i is the mass of the ith gas, and v_i is the number of moles of the ith gas. Taking the natural logarithm of both sides, we get ln Z = (N/2)ln(V/h^3) + ∑_i (v_i/2)ln(2πm_i kT/h^2). Using the Gibbs-Helmholtz equation, we can rewrite this expression as ln Z = (N/2)lnV - (3/2)NkTln(h/2π) + (3/2)NkT ∑_i (v_i/2)ln(m_i/M), where M is the molar mass of the gas mixture. Differentiating with respect to V and setting the result equal to the total mean pressure p, we get: p = (1/V) * (∂/∂V) ln Z = (N/V)kT - (3/2)NkTln(h/2π) + (3/2)NkT ∑_i (v_i/2)ln(m_i/M).(b) The pressure p_i that the ith gas would produce if it alone occupied the entire volume V at temperature T can be found by rewriting the above equation as p_i = (v_i/V)kT - (3/2)v_ikTln(h/2π) + (3/2)v_ikTln(m_i/M). This expression shows that the total pressure p is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of the individual gases.

Related to Partition function problem (Reif)

1. What is the partition function problem in statistical mechanics?

The partition function problem is a fundamental concept in statistical mechanics that describes the distribution of particles in a system with a given energy. It is used to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system, such as energy, entropy, and free energy.

2. How is the partition function calculated?

The partition function is calculated by summing over all possible energy states of a system, weighted by the Boltzmann factor. This involves taking into account the energy levels and degeneracies of the system, as well as the temperature and other relevant parameters.

3. What is the significance of the partition function in statistical mechanics?

The partition function is crucial in statistical mechanics as it allows us to calculate the average values of thermodynamic quantities and make predictions about the behavior of a system. It is also used to derive other important equations, such as the equation of state and the Gibbs free energy equation.

4. How does the partition function relate to the canonical ensemble?

The partition function is the key concept in the canonical ensemble, which describes a system in thermal equilibrium with a heat bath. It allows us to calculate the probability of a system being in a particular energy state, and thus determine the statistical behavior of the system.

5. What are the limitations of the partition function approach?

The partition function approach assumes that the system is in thermal equilibrium and is in contact with a heat bath. This may not always be the case, particularly for small or non-equilibrium systems. Additionally, the calculation of the partition function can become computationally intensive for complex systems with high energy states.