Confused on statistical mechanics problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the total partition function for a dilute gas of non-interacting atoms in equilibrium with the surroundings at temperature T. The gas consists of N atoms with two intrinsic states of energies ε = 0 and ∆. The equations used to calculate the partition function include the discrete sum over energy levels for a classical system and the integral over energy levels for a quantum system. The question of whether to include the volume V in the partition function is discussed, but it is determined that it is not necessary to do so.
TroyElliott

Homework Statement

A dilute gas of N non-interacting atoms of mass m is contained in a volume V and in equilibrium with the surroundings at a temperature T. Each atom has two (active) intrinsic states of energies ε = 0 and ∆, respectively. Find the total partition function of the gas.

Homework Equations

Partition function.

The Attempt at a Solution

For discrete energy levels we normally write ##Z = \sum_{i}e^{-\beta \epsilon_{i}},## and the volume of the system appears in the energy spectrum e.g. particle in a box energy spectrum. For a classical system we write $$Z=\frac{1}{h^{3}}\int e^{H(q,p)}d^{3}qd^{3}p.$$ We can write

$$Z = \frac{V}{h^{3}}\int e^{-\beta p^{2}/2m}d^{3}p,$$
##\frac{p^{2}}{2m} = \epsilon## implies ##d\epsilon = \frac{p}{m}dp = \frac{\sqrt{2m\epsilon}}{m}dp## which means we can write ##dp = \sqrt{\frac{m}{2\epsilon}}d\epsilon## and the partition function becomes

$$Z = (\frac{m}{2})^{3/2}\frac{V}{h^{3}}\int e^{-\epsilon}\epsilon^{-3/2}d^{3}\epsilon.$$

Should I be including delta functions in order to pick off the two discrete energy levels? or is there an easier way in going about this problem?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You said yourself; “for discrete energy levels we use the discrete sum over energy levels,” but then you use the continuous energy formulation??

Finding a discrete sum by integrating over Dirac-delta spikes seems pretty silly!(Sorry if I’m missing something; I’m also learning the subject.)

I am just confused on how to incorporate the volume ##V## into the picture by evaluating ##Z = \sum_{i} e^{-\beta \epsilon_{i}} = (1+e^{-\beta \Delta})^{N}.## Maybe it is as simple as multiplying this by ##\frac{V}{h^{3}}.##

Just because they give the volume V doesn’t mean we have to use it!

I don’t know quantum mechanics, but I would think V would appear inside Δ. But since some authority tells us what Δ is, then I don’t think we need to use V.

Anyway I’ll shut up now. Let’s wait for someone who actually knows what they’re talking about to chime in! o0)

1. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that uses statistical methods to study the behavior of large systems of particles. It aims to explain macroscopic properties of matter, such as temperature and pressure, in terms of the microscopic behavior of individual particles.

2. What is the purpose of using statistical mechanics?

The purpose of using statistical mechanics is to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as gases, liquids, and solids, based on the interactions between their individual particles. It allows us to make predictions about macroscopic properties of matter without having to consider every single particle in the system.

3. How is statistical mechanics applied in real-world situations?

Statistical mechanics has a wide range of applications in various fields, such as thermodynamics, chemistry, and materials science. It is used to study the behavior of gases in atmospheric science, the properties of materials in engineering, and the behavior of particles in biological systems.

4. What are the main principles of statistical mechanics?

The main principles of statistical mechanics include the concept of entropy, which measures the disorder or randomness of a system, and the Boltzmann distribution, which describes the probability of particles having a certain energy in a system. It also involves the use of statistical methods, such as probability distributions and ensemble averages, to analyze the behavior of large systems.

5. What are some common challenges in solving statistical mechanics problems?

Some common challenges in solving statistical mechanics problems include understanding the underlying principles and assumptions, dealing with complex mathematical equations, and accurately representing the behavior of particles in a given system. It also requires a good understanding of statistical concepts and techniques, as well as strong analytical and problem-solving skills.