Partridge in a pear tree (SHM)

• Thread starter aozer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shm Tree
In summary: the partridge is at equilibrium when its mass is 5.05kg and its height is 0.050m above the spring. its speed is .151m/s when it is at this position.
aozer
A partridge of mass 5.05 kg is suspended from a pear tree by an ideal spring of negligible mass. When the partridge is pulled down 0.100 m below its equilibrium position and released, it vibrates with a period of 4.15 s.

i figured out the first three parts, but part four has me stuck.

What is its speed as it passes through the equilibrium position?
.151m/s
What is its acceleration when it is 0.050 m above the equilibrium position?
-0.115 m/s^2
When it is moving upward, how much time is required for it to move from a point 0.050 m below its equilibrium position to a point 0.050 m above it?
0.692s
The motion of the partridge is stopped, and then it is removed from the spring. How much does the spring shorten?
I have no idea...

ive been stumped on this for a while now. i honestly have no idea how to even approach this part. can anybody help me out??

Physics news on Phys.org
One equation: Fg=kx, where Fg is the weight of the pear on the spring

Edit: on second thought, I'm not sure if they give you k. I forgot some SHM equations, but you can probably derive that from the previous eqs (potential energy, angular frequency). I got to brush up on that stuff.

Last edited:
aozer said:
ive been stumped on this for a while now. i honestly have no idea how to even approach this part. can anybody help me out??
Find the spring constant. Hint: How are the period, mass, and k related?

yea, i already found k to be .4539. i used omega=(2pi)/4.15 and then set k=omega^2/m to get it.

i tried using F=kx but it didnt work.

mg/k=x but i got 109.14 and it said it is wrong. doesn't that solve for the equilibrium position?

aozer said:
i used omega=(2pi)/4.15
OK.
and then set k=omega^2/m to get it.
Not OK.

oh wait, k=omega^2*m haha

ok, i got that, but i still don't know what to do.

i tried mg/k=x but it still comes up with the wrong answer.

edit:nvm i got the answer...

Related to Partridge in a pear tree (SHM)

1. What is a "Partridge in a pear tree"?

A "Partridge in a pear tree" is a phrase from the popular Christmas carol, "The Twelve Days of Christmas." It refers to a type of bird, the partridge, sitting in a pear tree.

2. Is a "Partridge in a pear tree" a real bird?

Yes, a partridge is a real bird that is commonly found in Europe, Asia, and parts of Africa. It is known for its distinctive call, which can sound like a repeated "chuck-chuck-chuck."

3. Why is a "Partridge in a pear tree" mentioned in "The Twelve Days of Christmas"?

The phrase is part of a cumulative song that counts down the days of Christmas. It is believed to have originated in England in the 16th century and the partridge was chosen as the first gift because it was a traditional game bird and a symbol of Jesus Christ.

4. What is the significance of a pear tree in relation to the partridge?

The pear tree in the song is believed to represent the Tree of Life mentioned in the Bible. It is also said to symbolize the eternal nature of love and the bond between two people.

5. Has the meaning of a "Partridge in a pear tree" changed over time?

While the phrase may have had religious connotations in the past, it is now primarily associated with the festive season and gift-giving. It is also often used as a metaphor for something valuable or cherished, such as a loved one or a special possession.