Passing an integral through an infinite sum

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the equation $\tan^{-1}(x)=\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{2n+1}x^{2n+1}$ and the possibility of switching the order of the sum and integral. It is determined that this is possible under certain conditions, such as uniform convergence.
DeadOriginal

Homework Statement

I want to show that
$$
\tan^{-1}(x)=\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{2n+1}x^{2n+1}.
$$

Homework Equations

I start with
$$
\int\frac{1}{1+x^{2}}dx.
$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to be able to do the following:
$$
\int\frac{1}{1+x^{2}}dx=\int\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{n}x^{2n}dx=\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty}\int (-1)^{n}x^{2n}dx
$$
but I am afraid that the infinite sum might create problems. Can anyone take a look? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The order of the sum and integral can be switched, since they are both sums, so that's fine.

So it seems that [itex]\frac{1}{1+x^2}[/itex] can be expressed as an infinite geometric series so long as [itex]|x^{2}|\leq 1[/itex].

Where
[itex]\frac{1}{1-r}=\sum_{i=0}^{∞} r^{i}[/itex]
when [itex]|r|\leq 1[/itex]

we can say that

[itex]\frac{1}{1+x^2}=\sum_{i=0}^{∞} (-x^2)^{i}=\sum_{i=0}^{∞} (-1)^{i}(x)^{2i}[/itex]
when [itex]|x^{2}|\leq 1[/itex]

Hope this helps:)

jfizzix said:
The order of the sum and integral can be switched, since they are both sums, so that's fine.

They cannot always be switched. Only under certain conditions is that statement valid. While this can be done so here it is bad habit to think the statement as always true.

To reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fubini's_theorem

Thanks guys! That helps a lot.

Have you heard about uniform convergence? Long story short, it allows us to verify if the following relationships actually hold :

$$\int_{a}^{b} \sum_{n=0}^{∞} a_nx^n = \sum_{n=0}^{∞} \int_{a}^{b} a_nx^n$$
$$\frac{d}{dx} \sum_{n=0}^{∞} a_nx^n = \sum_{n=0}^{∞} \frac{d}{dx} a_nx^n$$
$$lim_{x→a} \sum_{n=0}^{∞} a_nx^n = \sum_{n=0}^{∞} lim_{x→a} a_nx^n$$

Related to Passing an integral through an infinite sum

1. What is "Passing an integral through an infinite sum"?

"Passing an integral through an infinite sum" is a mathematical concept where an integral, which represents the area under a curve, is applied to an infinite sum of terms. This is often used in calculus and can help simplify complex equations.

2. Why would someone want to pass an integral through an infinite sum?

Passing an integral through an infinite sum can help solve difficult equations that involve infinite series. It can also provide a more efficient way to calculate certain values, such as the value of pi.

3. Are there any limitations to passing an integral through an infinite sum?

Yes, there are limitations to this concept. It can only be applied to certain types of infinite series, such as geometric or telescoping series. It also requires the function to be continuous and the series to converge.

4. How is passing an integral through an infinite sum different from evaluating an integral?

Passing an integral through an infinite sum involves applying the integral to a series of terms, while evaluating an integral involves finding the area under a single curve. This concept can be seen as a special case of evaluating an integral.

5. Can passing an integral through an infinite sum be used in real-world applications?

Yes, this concept has various real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and finance. It can be used to calculate the sum of an infinite number of values, which can be useful in modeling and predicting certain phenomena.