Passion for Physics - Help Needed for UK Mature Student

• Thread starter Luke101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the most important thing for a beginner starting out in physics is to learn the mathematics well. To do this, you should buy a algebra/precalculus book and work through it. After mastering the mathematics, purchase a book like "physics for scientists and engineers" to learn the basics of physics.
Luke101
Hey guys and girls, i really need a bit of guidance and all input would be welcome.

I'm 21 and from the UK and a sucker for physics, I've read a lot of books including 'Quantum', 'a brief history of time', 'The grand design' to name a few and watched every documentary going pretty much. In other words, i have a real passion for physics, especially quantum mechanics. The only problem is you can only learn so much from these... It doesn't really go into technical sides.

I'd love to do a degree in Physics, the only problem is I have no confidence in my abilities. I've been out of school now for 6 years and upon leaving went straight into a apprenticeship. I have briefly looked into local Uni's and sent a couple e-mails to physics tutors. I think the 'Mature student' route would be best for me, with a foundation year. But to actually get on the course it would take another year, which works out pretty well. My plan is to study independently for a year, hopefully learning everything in the foundation year so i fly through it.

This is where i hope you people can help me :smile: Like i said, my maths and physics went as far as GCSE level, so ill be starting from scratch. I need to textbooks with problems etc that i can work from, Both mathematics and physics... EVERYTHING :p. I've got a year to work hard and get it under my belt, this will also help my assess my abilities although I am fairly confident i can take to it, i just need a firm foundation to build on. Theres nothing worse that been under prepaired, especially at the prices it costs to study in uni'

Thanks for taking the time to read thing,

Luke

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Luke :smile:

The most important thing right now is the mathematics. You need to know your mathematics well in order to start your studies in physics.

So, how much do you still remember from mathematics? If it isn't much, then maybe buy a algebra/precalculus book and work through it. If you still remember the basics, then perhaps you can go straight to calculus.

Once you mastered calculus, then purchase a book like "physics for scientists and engineers" to learn the basics of physics. You really can't go wrong with such a book!

Try to learn as much as you can this year. If you mastered the mathematics and only a bit of the physics, then you're truly ready to start uni!

I've pretty much forgotten it all :frown: But i don't think it'll take me long to to get the basics down before i move onto Calculus. Thanks alot!

If you, or anyone else, Have any other book recommendations then fire away.

Thanks again for the hasty reply!

Luke

Hello Luke,

have a look here, it's full of memory aides and a few hundred practice questions (all fully answered) for GCSE-IGCSE level physics (you can download the sample and try it out, you don't need an e-book - you can download free kindle for your computer software from the amazon website, it's worth it they've got bundles of free books for the kindle anyway).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZQRIXM/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Other than that go to the library and pick up an IGCSE physics book - I'd recommend this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0007755430/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The IGCSE stuff is a little more technical than the GCSE so it'll be a really good intro (also it's a good book - I had a copy right up until I leant it to one of my students... ) :-(

The physics foundation years are good fun ( I completed mine some time back at sussex uni ) and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The A level books are much of a muchness as they say, however go online and pick up an older book called A level physics by Muncaster. This is a very good, very clear book. Also it will be invaluable during your foundation year.

The best advice I can give is this : learn calculus backwards (foundation year - practice with pure maths by Bostock and Chandler), learn vector calculus backwards (1st year of degree) then learn electricity and magnetism backwards (2nd year of degree). All the other courses will branch from these.

Enjoy yourself,

Mike.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What inspired you to pursue a passion for physics as a mature student in the UK?

I have always been fascinated by the laws and principles that govern our universe. As a mature student, I have gained more life experience and I am now able to fully commit to my passion for physics.

2. What challenges have you faced as a mature student studying physics in the UK?

As a mature student, I have faced the challenge of balancing my studies with other responsibilities such as work and family. I have also had to catch up on the math and science courses that I may have missed out on in my earlier education.

3. How has your passion for physics evolved throughout your studies?

My passion for physics has only grown stronger as I have delved deeper into the subject. I have gained a better understanding of complex theories and have been able to apply them to real-world problems.

4. What advice do you have for other mature students who are interested in studying physics in the UK?

My advice would be to not let age hold you back. It is never too late to pursue your passion for physics. It is important to stay motivated and dedicated, and to seek out support from peers and professors.

5. How do you plan to use your degree in physics in the future?

I hope to work in a research or teaching position, where I can continue to explore the wonders of physics and inspire others to do the same. I also hope to contribute to advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe.