Path Independence: Solving a Physics Problem

In summary: Hi Davon. The notation in the second last formula with two ##i##s is 'Einstein notation', which is used in differential geometry. Also, the expression ##d\phi(\underline{r})## has a rigorous meaning in differential geometry but in many other uses is either a piece of notation that has no stand-alone meaning, or else just a hand-wave. This leads me to guess that the text might be written in a differential geometry context.Is that correct? The way of interpreting the proof is different in diff geom from what would be needed in other contexts.
davon806

Homework Statement

Hi,I am trying to understand the proof attached.
My problem is shown by a red arrow.Can someone explain those 2 steps?
And please answer it as simply as you can...Since I haven't done multivariable calculus..It is a physics course.Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let say the integral of A(r') 。d(r') is L(r),so if you take the definite integral it becomes L(r+dr) - L(r),but in the proof they said dr is infinitesimal so dr = 0,so L(r+dr) - L(r) = 0 =/= A(r) 。d(r) ?
path.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the integral was path dependent, then you couldn't combine the two integrals together because you could not guarantee that the integral from r to r + dr would pass through r0.

An infinitesimal dr does not mean dr = 0. It means that it is extremely small, the smallest you can get without being 0. Hence, you can consider A(r') to be constant over the interval r to r+dr and take it out of the integral.

Likes davon806
DrClaude said:
If the integral was path dependent, then you couldn't combine the two integrals together because you could not guarantee that the integral from r to r + dr would pass through r0.

An infinitesimal dr does not mean dr = 0. It means that it is extremely small, the smallest you can get without being 0. Hence, you can consider A(r') to be constant over the interval r to r+dr and take it out of the integral.
Sorry, why if A(r') is constant then it becomes A(r) ?

If you have a HW question with ∫ or ∂ in it, it's a safe bet it belongs in the Calculus HW forum. :wink:

Likes davon806
davon806 said:
Sorry, why if A(r') is constant then it becomes A(r) ?
I mean that it is constant in the interval r to r+dr, so A(r) = A(r+dr) = A(r+dr/2), etc. By convenience, you take the value to be the one at r. A is still a function of r.

Likes davon806
Hi Davon. The notation in the second last formula with two ##i##s is 'Einstein notation', which is used in differential geometry. Also, the expression ##d\phi(\underline{r})## has a rigorous meaning in differential geometry but in many other uses is either a piece of notation that has no stand-alone meaning, or else just a hand-wave. This leads me to guess that the text might be written in a differential geometry context.
Is that correct? The way of interpreting the proof is different in diff geom from what would be needed in other contexts.

andrewkirk said:
Hi Davon. The notation in the second last formula with two ##i##s is 'Einstein notation', which is used in differential geometry. Also, the expression ##d\phi(\underline{r})## has a rigorous meaning in differential geometry but in many other uses is either a piece of notation that has no stand-alone meaning, or else just a hand-wave. This leads me to guess that the text might be written in a differential geometry context.
Is that correct? The way of interpreting the proof is different in diff geom from what would be needed in other contexts.
Hi Andrew,it was actually part of the notes of my physics course,and I am still in my 2nd year of a physics degree so I guess it is irrelevant to the more advanced maths.My lecturer introduced Einstein notation for proving various vector identities(scalar product,vector product,curl,div,etc...)

Here's a way you can make the proof rigorous without any high-faluting maths:

Replace ##d\phi(\underline{r})## by ##\frac{d\phi(\underline{r}+h\underline{e}_i)}{dh}## where ##\underline{e}_i## is the ##i##th basis vector of ##\mathbb{R}^3## (I'm assuming here that the context is 3D Euclidean space).

Then on the right-hand side, divide by ##h##, replace ##d\underline{r}## by ##h\underline{e}_i##, and enclose both sides of the equation within ##\lim_{h\to 0}\Bigg(...\Bigg)##. Note that the LHS is, by definition, the ##i##th component of ##\nabla(\phi(\underline{r}))##.

Following steps similar to what's written above, but with these modifications, you should be able to deduce

$$\lim_{h\to 0}\left(\frac{d\phi(\underline{r}+h\underline{e}_i)}{dh}\right)=\underline{A}(\underline{r})\cdot\underline{e}_i$$

See how you go.

1. What is path independence in physics?

Path independence refers to the concept that the path taken by an object or system does not affect the final outcome or result of a physical problem. This means that the final state of the object or system depends only on the initial and final conditions, and not on the specific path taken to get there.

2. Why is path independence important in physics?

Path independence is important because it allows for simplification of complex problems. By only considering the initial and final states, we can focus on the key factors that affect the outcome and ignore unnecessary details. This makes problem-solving more efficient and helps us understand the fundamental principles at play.

3. How is path independence applied in real-life situations?

Path independence is applied in various real-life situations, such as in the study of conservative forces. For example, the work done by a conservative force does not depend on the path taken by the object, only on its initial and final positions. This concept is also used in circuit analysis and thermodynamics.

4. What are some common misconceptions about path independence?

One common misconception is that path independence means that the path taken by an object or system is irrelevant. In reality, the path can still affect the speed, acceleration, and other factors of the object or system, but it does not change the final outcome. Another misconception is that all physical problems are path independent, which is not true for non-conservative forces or systems.

5. How can one determine if a problem is path independent?

A problem is considered path independent if the final outcome or result is the same regardless of the path taken. To determine this, one can compare the final states of the object or system after taking different paths. If the final states are the same, then the problem is path independent. Additionally, if the forces involved are conservative, the problem is likely to be path independent.