Pauli Spin Operator Eigenvalues For Two Electron System

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is studying for a qualifying exam and has found a potential error in the answer key for a past exam question. The question involves a two electron system and the student believes that the eigenvalues for the sigma squared operator should be different based on their understanding of Sakurai. They provide a link to an image and ask for clarification. Another person responds with a reference to a problem involving two spin half particles and provides the solution, which confirms that there is an error in the answer key.
xdrgnh
I'm studying for a qualifying exam and I see something very strange in the answer key to one of the problems from a past qualifying exam. It appears the sigma^2 for a two electron system has eigenvalues according to the picture below of 4s(s+1) while from my understand of Sakurai it should have eigenvalue of s(s+1). Can anyone shed some light on this, I suspect it is an error.
Screen%20Shot%202017-08-26%20at%2011.01.47%20PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Your image didn't appear to come through. It might be better to link to a reference if you have one.

PeterDonis said:
Your image didn't appear to come through. It might be better to link to a reference if you have one.
Yes I see. I have a link to a google drive.

Anyway I can just upload a photo on my desktop?
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9_oicNQsA7bSFFxT1czal9hclU

if you have access to the google drive it would be under 2009 part 2, the quantum question 2.

xdrgnh said:
here is the image.

This doesn't give enough context. Do you have an actual reference?

PeterDonis said:
This doesn't give enough context. Do you have an actual reference?
Consider two s = 1/2 spins. Their interaction with each other is described by the Hamiltonian: Hex = A~σ1 · ~σ2 , where A is a positive constant, and ~σ1 and ~σ2 are vectors with components given by the Pauli matrices. In addition, a magnetic field B~ is applied to spin #1 only, so that the Zeeman Hamiltonian of the system is HZ = gµBB~ · ~σ1 . Here µB is the Bohr magneton and g is the g-factor. This is the problem.

(a) Assume that a static field is applied, B~ = Bzˆ where ˆz is the unit vector along the z-axis. Find the eigenenergies of the system. Plot the spectrum as a function of B for fixed A, labeling all relevant features. Also find the eigenfunctions for B = 0 and in the limit of infinitely large B. (40 points) this is this is the question they are referring to. Also here is the image of the solution which I think has an error in it.

http://imgur.com/N4AxroC

xdrgnh said:
It appears the sigma^2 for a two electron system has eigenvalues according to the picture below of 4s(s+1) while from my understand of Sakurai it should have eigenvalue of s(s+1). Can anyone shed some light on this, I suspect it is an error.
It's ##\hat S^2## whose eigenvalue is ##\hbar^2 s(s+1)##. To get the eigenvalue of ##\hat \sigma^2##, use ##\hat {\mathbf S} = \frac{1}{2} \hbar \hat {\mathbf \sigma}##.

1. What is the Pauli spin operator?

The Pauli spin operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the spin of a particle. It was first introduced by the physicist Wolfgang Pauli in 1925.

2. How does the Pauli spin operator work?

The Pauli spin operator is a 2x2 matrix that acts on the spin state of a particle. It has two components, the spin-up (represented by the matrix [1 0; 0 0]) and spin-down (represented by the matrix [0 0; 0 1]) states. The operator measures the spin of a particle along a particular axis, and the eigenvalues of the operator represent the possible outcomes of this measurement.

3. What is the significance of the eigenvalues of the Pauli spin operator?

The eigenvalues of the Pauli spin operator represent the possible values of the spin measurement of a particle. They are +1/2 and -1/2 for the spin-up and spin-down states, respectively. The eigenvalues can also be thought of as the probabilities of measuring the particle in a particular spin state.

4. How is the Pauli spin operator used in a two-electron system?

In a two-electron system, the Pauli spin operator is used to describe the spin states of both electrons. Each electron has its own spin operator, and the two operators can be combined to determine the overall spin state of the system. The eigenvalues of the combined operator represent the possible outcomes of measuring the total spin of the two electrons.

5. Can the Pauli spin operator be used for particles other than electrons?

Yes, the Pauli spin operator can be used for any spin-1/2 particle, not just electrons. It is commonly used for particles such as protons, neutrons, and quarks, which also have a spin of 1/2. However, it cannot be used for particles with a different spin value, such as photons, which have a spin of 1.