[PDE] Transforming Nonhomogeneous BCs into Homogeneous Ones

In summary, the conversation discusses a challenging problem in a text that involves a heat equation and boundary conditions. The speaker has found a solution manual online but it contains a different solution. The conversation then delves into the steps taken to solve the problem, including finding the steady state solution and constructing a homogenous problem. However, the book's answer does not satisfy the original problem's boundary conditions.
Arkuski
So there's this problem in my text that's pretty challenging. I can't seem to work out the answer that is given in the back of the book, and then I found a solution manual online that contains yet another solution.

The problem is a the heat equation as follows:

PDE: [itex]u_{t} = α^2u_{xx}[/itex]

BCs: [itex]u(0,t) = 1[/itex]
[itex]u_x(1,t)+hu(1,t) = 1[/itex]

IC: [itex]u(x,0) = \displaystyle\sin (πx)+x[/itex]

Also, [itex]0<x<1[/itex].

We assume that [itex]u(x,t) = S(x,t)+U(x,t)[/itex] and that [itex]S(x,t) = A(t)[1-x]+B(t)[x][/itex]. By substituting these into the BCs, I get [itex]A(t) = 1[/itex] and [itex]B(t) = \frac{2}{1+h}[/itex]. Now we have [itex]S(x,t) = 1-x+\frac{2x}{1+h} = 1+x\frac{1-h}{1+h}[/itex]. With the steady state solution in place, we construct our homogenous problem as follows:

PDE: [itex]U_{t} = α^2U_{xx}[/itex]

BCs: [itex]U(0,t) = 0[/itex]
[itex]U_x(1,t)+hU(1,t) = 0[/itex]

IC: [itex]U(x,0) = \displaystyle\sin (πx)+x\frac{2h}{1+h}-1[/itex]

If I try to solve this one, it turns into an eigenvalue problem which isn't covered until the next section and the IC is a nightmare. Anyways, the book gives me the following answer:

[itex]x+e^{-(πα)^2t}\displaystyle\sin (πx)[/itex]

Moreover, the solution manual I found on the top of pg 16 looks as if it's solving an entirely different problem. Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks to me like all your work is correct as far as you went. The book's answer$$
x+e^{-(πα)^2t}\displaystyle\sin (πx)$$doesn't solve the original problem's boundary conditions, so it isn't the answer to the problem. After all, you would expect the answer to depend on ##h##.

Related to [PDE] Transforming Nonhomogeneous BCs into Homogeneous Ones

1. What is the purpose of transforming nonhomogeneous boundary conditions into homogeneous ones in PDEs?

The purpose of transforming nonhomogeneous boundary conditions into homogeneous ones in PDEs is to simplify the problem and make it easier to solve. Homogeneous boundary conditions have the advantage that they can be easily solved using separation of variables, while nonhomogeneous boundary conditions require more complex techniques.

2. How do you transform nonhomogeneous boundary conditions into homogeneous ones?

In order to transform nonhomogeneous boundary conditions into homogeneous ones, we need to subtract a particular solution from the nonhomogeneous boundary conditions. This particular solution is obtained by assuming a solution to the nonhomogeneous problem and solving for the unknown coefficients using the given boundary conditions.

3. What are the benefits of using homogeneous boundary conditions in PDEs?

Using homogeneous boundary conditions in PDEs simplifies the problem and allows for easier and more accurate solutions. Homogeneous boundary conditions also have the advantage of being easier to manipulate and combine with other boundary conditions.

4. Can all nonhomogeneous boundary conditions be transformed into homogeneous ones?

No, not all nonhomogeneous boundary conditions can be transformed into homogeneous ones. Some nonhomogeneous boundary conditions cannot be satisfied by a particular solution and therefore cannot be transformed.

5. Are there any limitations to transforming nonhomogeneous boundary conditions into homogeneous ones in PDEs?

Yes, there are limitations to transforming nonhomogeneous boundary conditions into homogeneous ones. In some cases, the transformed problem may have a solution that does not satisfy the original nonhomogeneous boundary conditions. Additionally, the particular solution used for transformation may not exist or may be difficult to determine.