Pebble Shot with Spring Constant - how to setup?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the maximum height reached by a 49 g pebble shot straight up with a catapult. The elastic potential energy of the catapult is converted to gravitational potential energy, which can be calculated using the formula U=mgy. By setting the two energies equal and solving for height, the approximate answer of 30m can be obtained.
Schoomy

Homework Statement

You shoot a 49 g pebble straight up with a catapult whose spring constant is 320 N/m. The catapult is initially stretched by 0.30 m. How high above the starting point does the pebble fly? Ignore air resistance.

Homework Equations

Unsure?

The Attempt at a Solution

49g pebble = 0.049kg

Physics news on Phys.org
When the spring is stretched how much elastic potential energy does it have?

This is the energy that is converted to gravitational potential energy to raise it to the maximum height.

Uelastic = (.5)(320N/m)(0.3m2) = 14.4.

But then what? How do I turn this into a height?

what is the formula for gravitational potential energy?

Ugrav = mg[tex]\Delta[/tex]y

I can find U grav, but i don't see what that would get me?

Ug = (0.049kg)(9.8)(0.3)
= 0.144

Schoomy said:
I can find U grav, but i don't see what that would get me?

Ug = (0.049kg)(9.8)(0.3)
= 0.144

0.3 is not the height. if y is the height and U=mgy, and you know the energy it has is equal to the elastic potential energy (which you found to be 14.4J) can you find the height y?

Yep. It was y that I was looking for...duh. So I just leave it blank, set Ug equal to 14.4, and solve for y, giving me roughly 30m as an answer.

Thanks!

Related to Pebble Shot with Spring Constant - how to setup?

1. What is a pebble shot with spring constant?

A pebble shot with spring constant is an experiment that involves launching a pebble using a spring-loaded launcher and measuring the distance it travels. The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of the spring and affects the distance the pebble travels.

2. What materials do I need to setup a pebble shot with spring constant?

To setup a pebble shot with spring constant, you will need a spring-loaded launcher, a pebble, a ruler or measuring tape, and a flat surface to conduct the experiment on.

3. How do I setup the pebble shot with spring constant?

To setup the experiment, attach the spring-loaded launcher to a flat surface and adjust the spring tension to the desired level. Then, place the pebble in the launcher and aim it towards the measuring tape. Make sure the launcher is at a consistent angle for each trial.

4. How do I measure the distance the pebble travels?

After launching the pebble, use the ruler or measuring tape to measure the distance it travels. Make sure to measure from the starting point of the pebble and not the point where it lands. Repeat the experiment multiple times and take the average distance to get a more accurate result.

5. What is the purpose of conducting a pebble shot with spring constant experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the relationship between the spring constant and the distance the pebble travels. By adjusting the spring tension, you can see how it affects the launch distance of the pebble. This experiment also helps to understand the concept of potential and kinetic energy.