Pendulum and constraining forces (Lagrangian mechanics)

In summary, the masspoint moves on a circular path under the influence of gravity, but must additionally maintain its position by applying a force in the radial direction. The equation of motion for the masspoint can be written as a function of only the Lagrange function and the potential energy.
JulienB

Homework Statement

Hi everybody! As always, I struggle with my special relativity class and here is a new problem I'd like to have some indications about:

A masspoint m moves in the x-y-plane under the influence of gravity on a circular path of radius r (see attached pic). Which constraining force ##\vec{z}## must be additionally be acting in the radial direction, so that the masspoint remains on the circular path? You must first establish the equation of motion for the masspoint m and integrate it for the case small angle ##\varphi##.

Homework Equations

Lagrangian mechanics, holonomic constraints

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I wrote the coordinates dependently of each other and in function of ##l##:

##x^2 + y^2 = l^2 \iff x^2 + y^2 - l^2 = 0##

If I understand my script correctly, such an equation ##f(x,y,l,t) = 0## means this is a case of holonomic constraint. Right? I am not sure if ##l## should be included in my function. Anyway I can rewrite ##x## and ##y## as

##x = l \cdot \cos \varphi## and ##y = l \ cdot \sin \varphi##
##\implies \dot{x} = - \varphi l \sin \varphi## and ##\dot{y} = \varphi l \cos \varphi##

I can now substitute those values in the Lagrange function to have an equation of motion only depending on ##l## and ##\varphi##:

##L = T - V = \frac{1}{2} m (\dot{x}^2 + \dot{y}^2) - mgh##
## = \frac{1}{2} m\varphi^2 l^2 (\cos^2\varphi + \sin^2\varphi) - mgh##
## = \frac{1}{2} m \varphi^2 l^2 - mgh##

That went pretty well until now, but now I'm blocked because of the ##h##. How can I express it in terms of ##l## and ##\varphi##? Geometrically I see the relation but I don't know what ##h## is. Anything I am missing?

Thanks a lot in advance.Julien.

Attachments

• Photo 12-05-16 18 36 03.jpeg
    Photo 12-05-16 18 36 03.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 495
Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't ##\left (1 - \cos\phi\right)## qualify for the job ?

@BvU You mean for ##h##? Did you see the picture? I searched a bit on the internet, and everyone seems to use a different coordinate system. For example in page 5 of this link (http://www.math.pitt.edu/~bard/classes/1270/mechanics.pdf) is ##h=-l\cos \varphi## apparently.

(Note that my teacher has inversed the ##x## and ##y## axes, probably to make it just confusing enough so that we don't get it.. I'm unsure why is ##y = -l \cos \varphi## in the link I put in post #3 and not ##l \cos \varphi## as for my ##x##. Is that just because my ##x## axis points downwards?)

I think I got it, I must have misunderstood something about the potential. Apparently I can just define a zero potential energy point which conveniently would be ##\varphi = 0##, then my potential would be as said @BvU ##V = -mg\Delta h = -mg l (1 - cos \varphi)##. Is that correct?

Thanks a lot for your answers ;)

JulienB said:
@BvU You mean for ##h##? Did you see the picture? I searched a bit on the internet, and everyone seems to use a different coordinate system. For example in page 5 of this link (http://www.math.pitt.edu/~bard/classes/1270/mechanics.pdf) is ##h=-l\cos \varphi## apparently.
Yes, potential can be defined wrt an arbitrary point.
And x/y are now out of the picture with this generalized coordinate, so which way they point isn't all that relevant anymore. But I agree the choice is somewhat unusual.

@BvU Okay thanks a lot :) Then I get an equation of motion ##m \ddot{\varphi} = \frac{-m g \cdot \varphi}{l}##. If I am not mistaken, one can find the constraint force from the equation of motion with ##\sum \vec{F} = \vec{F_G} + \vec{Z}##, right?

Does that mean ##\vec{Z} = \frac{-m g \cdot \varphi}{l} - mg##?Thanks a lot.Julien.

Last edited:

1. What is a pendulum and how does it work?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that is free to swing back and forth. The motion of a pendulum is governed by the force of gravity and the length of the pendulum's string or rod. As the pendulum swings, it oscillates between potential energy (at the highest point of its swing) and kinetic energy (at the lowest point of its swing).

2. How is Lagrangian mechanics used to study pendulums?

Lagrangian mechanics is a mathematical framework used to analyze the motion of systems, such as pendulums, by considering the total kinetic and potential energy of the system. By using Lagrangian mechanics, we can derive equations of motion for pendulums and understand how different forces (such as constraining forces) affect the motion of the pendulum.

3. What are constraining forces in Lagrangian mechanics?

Constraining forces in Lagrangian mechanics are forces that limit the motion of a system. In the case of a pendulum, the string or rod that holds the weight in place is a constraining force, as it restricts the pendulum's motion to a specific path. Constraining forces are important to consider when using Lagrangian mechanics to analyze the motion of a system.

4. How do different constraining forces affect the motion of a pendulum?

Different constraining forces can affect the motion of a pendulum in various ways. For example, a shorter string or rod will result in a faster swing, while a longer string or rod will result in a slower swing. Additionally, a constraining force that is not perpendicular to the motion of the pendulum (such as a curved path) will result in a more complex motion.

5. Can Lagrangian mechanics be used to study other systems besides pendulums?

Yes, Lagrangian mechanics can be applied to study various systems, such as mechanical systems, electrical circuits, and quantum systems. It is a powerful mathematical tool that allows scientists to analyze the behavior and motion of complex systems and derive equations of motion to understand their behavior.