Pendulum made with a Ball and two light strings

In summary: G is the gravitational force, F is the force of weight on the pendulum, and S is the tension in the string.The OP has solved the problem.In summary,The OP has solved the problem.
Aristarchus_
Homework Statement
A ball is held at rest in position A by two light strings. We cut the horizontal cord so that the ball
begins to commute. Position B is the ball's greatest expanse on the opposite side of A

What is the ratio of the cord tension to the pendulum cord in position A before we cut the horizontal string, and the string pull in B?
The correct answer is ##1/cos^2##

$$Gx=F=tan⋅mg$$ and $$S=mg/cos$$
Relevant Equations
##1/cos^2##
1659083631264.png
Sketch

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cos of what angle? β?

"mgandS" does not make sense to me

malawi_glenn said:
cos of what angle? β?

"mgandS" does not make sense to me
Yes, cos of beta. LaTex does not seem to work, and this was just my desperate attempt. It is not necessarily correct

Aristarchus_ said:
LaTex does not seem to work
For in-line LaTeX, use a double-# delimiter instead of single-$

I've fixed that part of your OP. :smile:

Aristarchus_ said:
this was just my desperate attempt. It is not necessarily correct
I'd recommend drawing the 2 Free Body Diagrams (FBDs), one for the ball in each of the two positions. Then the solution should be pretty straightforward... :smile:

Aristarchus_ said:
$$Gx=F=tan⋅mg$$ and $$S=mg/cos$$
What are G, F, S and x? Or is that Gx?
And how did you obtain these equations?

Likes Delta2
Me on the other hand, if ##T_H## is the tension of the horizontal cord and ##T_C## the tension of the pendulum cord, I seem to get (by balance of forces on the x-axis) that $$\frac{T_H}{T_C}=\sin\beta$$.

Delta2 said:
Me on the other hand, if ##T_H## is the tension of the horizontal cord and ##T_C## the tension of the pendulum cord, I seem to get (by balance of forces on the x-axis) that $$\frac{T_H}{T_C}=\sin\beta$$.
It is likely there is a typo in the problem statement and that it should read
"What is the ratio of the cord tension of the pendulum cord in position A before we cut the horizontal string, and the string pull in B?"

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
It is likely there is a typo in the problem statement and that it should read
"What is the ratio of the cord tension of the pendulum cord in position A before we cut the horizontal string, and the string pull in B?"
Yes if that's the case then I get same result as the given answer.
To the OP(@Aristarchus_ : You should make two FBDs for position A and B as suggested by @berkeman. In position A you should take as x and y-axis the horizontal and the vertical (gravity). In position B you should take as x-axis the tangential axis and as y-axis the radial (direction of pendulum cord) axis.

Last edited:
Delta2 said:
In position A you should take as x and y-axis the horizontal and the vertical (gravity)
At a guess, the S in post #1 is the tension at A. If so, the OP has solved that part.

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
What are G, F, S and x? Or is that Gx?
And how did you obtain these equations?
"Gx" is Gx, S is the tension force

Aristarchus_ said:
"Gx" is Gx, S is the tension force
That still doesn’t tell me what these forces are in the context of the question. How are you defining G and F, and which tension is S?

1. How does a pendulum made with a ball and two light strings work?

A pendulum made with a ball and two light strings works by utilizing the force of gravity and the principle of conservation of energy. The ball is suspended from two strings of equal length, creating a balanced system. When the ball is pulled to one side and released, it swings back and forth due to the force of gravity. As it swings, it converts potential energy into kinetic energy and back again, creating a continuous motion.

2. What factors affect the motion of a pendulum made with a ball and two light strings?

The motion of a pendulum made with a ball and two light strings can be affected by several factors, including the length of the strings, the mass of the ball, and the strength of gravity. The longer the strings, the slower the pendulum will swing. A heavier ball will also swing slower, while a lighter ball will swing faster. Gravity also plays a role in the speed of the pendulum, with a stronger gravitational force causing the pendulum to swing faster.

3. How is the period of a pendulum made with a ball and two light strings calculated?

The period of a pendulum made with a ball and two light strings can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period (time for one complete swing), L is the length of the strings, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes that the pendulum swings in a perfect arc and that the mass of the ball is concentrated at a single point.

4. Can a pendulum made with a ball and two light strings be used to measure time?

Yes, a pendulum made with a ball and two light strings can be used to measure time. The period of the pendulum is constant as long as the length and mass of the strings remain the same. This makes it a reliable timekeeping device, and it was commonly used in clocks before the invention of more accurate timekeeping mechanisms.

5. Are there any real-world applications for a pendulum made with a ball and two light strings?

Yes, there are several real-world applications for a pendulum made with a ball and two light strings. It is commonly used in physics demonstrations to illustrate the principles of energy and motion. It is also used in some timekeeping devices, such as grandfather clocks and metronomes. Additionally, pendulums are used in seismometers to detect and measure earthquakes.