People who gain weight as they age

In summary: Seriously though, it's a virtual impossibility to live like our ancestors. It would be folly to pretend that diet, lifestyle and fitness have only to... ...have a minimal impact on weight gain as we age.In summary, Americans are getting older and gaining weight, which seems disrespectful to their partners.
pergradus
Maybe I'm old-fashioned or stuck up or something, but this really bothers me, and it seems to be a growing trend that people gain weight and become flabby as they get older.

To me this seems so disrespectful to your partner. A man or woman was attracted to you based on how you looked when he/she met you - and obviously they like that kind of physique. How is it that people just let themselves go to crap once they get married?

It seems so selfish and inconsiderate of how your partner feels, and though I'm a young guy and won't be married for a long time, i would always try to stay in shape so that I look good for my wife, and would hope she'd do the same for me. I understand this probably sounds shallow to most people, but I feel that physical attraction is a huge part of a relationship, and it's just a fundamental part of being a human being.

I mean, you wouldn't go out on a date with someone with shabby clothes and food stains all over yourself, so why would you neglect your physical appearance? Also I'm saying "you" a lot, but I'm not necessarily addressing the reader or accusing anyone here, just addressing Americans in general.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I would call it a "growing trend", it's just a reality of physiology and it has always existed.

You have to work a lot harder to stay in shape as you age, believe me. Plus you get injured easier and you take much longer to heal...oh, plus you never completely heal.

And young people seem to think they can eat anything...ha, well it *will* all catch up with you. Take a tip: get into the habit of eating healthy as a young person, so you don't have to recalibrate later in life after the damage has been done.

But fundamentally, you have to stay in shape for yourself, not anyone else. Your health has to be a priority for you.

I am actually looking forward to gaining some weight .. I keep on losing it. :biggrin:

lisab said:
And young people seem to think they can eat anything...

:shy:

rootX said:
I am actually looking forward to gaining some weight .. I keep on losing it. :biggrin:

Lol, I didn't name names :-p!

rootX said:

I only weigh about 10 lbs more now than I did in HS; that being over 45 years ago. And that's because I like beer so much.

lisab said:
Lol, I didn't name names :-p!

Everyone tells me that same thing but I guess it's hard to learn unless you have first hand experience:biggrin:.

dlgoff said:
I only weigh about 10 lbs more now than I did in HS; that being over 45 years ago. And that's because I like beer so much.

I am 114 pounds (down by 3 pounds from few months ago), even the girls whom I know weigh more than me :smile:.

When I first met my daughter, she only weighed 7 lbs. However she let herself go and has gained 100 lbs over the years. But if you think that's disrespectful, you should hear the things she calls me.

pergradus said:
I understand this probably sounds shallow to most people
It would be shallow if you knew better. But you say you're young, and then confidently predict that your life will be peaches and cream in 10 or 20 years such that you will stay in shape.

So it's not shallow; it's naive. We'll talk again in a decade or two. :biggrin:

i'm not going to argue for the current obesity epidemic, but it is quite natural for people to put on a few extra pounds as they age. and believe it or not, a few extra pounds correlates to better life expectancy in the aged than being skinny.

also, when you get really old, metabolism screws up in a lot of other ways that can't be well-controlled for, like sarcopenia. and arthritis and years of accumulated injury slow us down even further.

but yeah, if you're under 40 or so, it's pretty much your own fault.

Proton Soup said:
but yeah, if you're under 40 or so, it's pretty much your own fault.
Or your ancestors' fault.

DaveC426913 said:
Or your ancestors' fault.

even if you're a Pima Indian, if you live a lifestyle similar to your ancestors, then obesity won't become a problem. so, even with thrifty genes, the input-output equation still rules.

not that there aren't a few genuine disorders...

Proton Soup said:
...if you live a lifestyle similar to your ancestors...
The municipal government frown upon chasing buffalo across the plains for days at a time on a lot the size of mine.

Seriously though, it's a virtual impossibility to live like our ancestors. It would be folly to pretend that diet, lifestyle and fitness have only to do with how many calories one takes in.

pergradus said:
Maybe I'm old-fashioned or stuck up or something, but this really bothers me, and it seems to be a growing trend that people gain weight and become flabby as they get older.

To me this seems so disrespectful to your partner. A man or woman was attracted to you based on how you looked when he/she met you - and obviously they like that kind of physique. How is it that people just let themselves go to crap once they get married?

It seems so selfish and inconsiderate of how your partner feels, and though I'm a young guy and won't be married for a long time, i would always try to stay in shape so that I look good for my wife, and would hope she'd do the same for me. I understand this probably sounds shallow to most people, but I feel that physical attraction is a huge part of a relationship, and it's just a fundamental part of being a human being.

I mean, you wouldn't go out on a date with someone with shabby clothes and food stains all over yourself, so why would you neglect your physical appearance? Also I'm saying "you" a lot, but I'm not necessarily addressing the reader or accusing anyone here, just addressing Americans in general.
OK. I'm not married, so take this with a grain of salt:

Marriage isn't dating. It's common for people to pick dates based off of sexiness. However, this is a horrible metric for determining marriage compatibility! Sexiness does not correlate at all with whether your partner is an emotional match, has the same opinion on having children, has the same moral views, is willing to live within the same financial means as you are, etc. etc. etc.

So, chances are that if two people have been married a long time, they are way less concerned with looks than two teenagers are.

Physical attraction generates strong emotional responses very quickly, thus, it's easy to get carried away by them. However, if you choose a husband or wife and your decision is based largely on physical appearance, you are setting yourself up for marriage difficulties, regardless of how well your partner ages.

Sex and marriage have nothing to do with each other.

Just ask most married guys! :biggrin:

The simple fact is that the OP has no idea what marriage is about. It's pretty foolish to state assumptions based on nothing, rather than posing a question.

I'm still young (27), physically fit, and married, and I can tell you (the OP) without a doubt that you are simply very ignorant of this subject.

S_Happens said:
The simple fact is that the OP has no idea what marriage is about. It's pretty foolish to state assumptions based on nothing, rather than posing a question.

I'm still young (27), physically fit, and married, and I can tell you (the OP) without a doubt that you are simply very ignorant of this subject.

Are you saying that if your wife doesn't take care of herself and gains 30+ pounds of weight, you'd feel just as attracted to her? If so, that's fine; I'm just curious about whether this is what you think.

it's naive.

The simple fact is that the OP has no idea...and I can tell you (the OP) without a doubt that you are simply very ignorant of this subject

i'll guess the OP is < 20 y.o., based on the last time i had ideas as arrogant as that!

The missus and I have been destroying the sanctity of marriage for over 20 years now. In the meantime, our physical appearance has changed somewhat, not all of it for the better. This mutual display of disrespect hasn't changed our feelings for each other though. We're as willing to fight, bicker, disagree, and then make up as ever. Are you prepared to see your wife wrinkle, gray, and sag right before your eyes even while staying skinny for you? Or is that disrespectful too?

Jimmy Snyder said:
Are you prepared to see your wife wrinkle, gray, and sag right before your eyes even while staying skinny for you?

A good point. If the OP insists that his spouse must remain attractive, will he leave her when things sag and spots grow and stuff falls out?

Or does he draw some sort of line between things becoming unattractive that can't be controlled without a lot of effort/surgery and things that become unattractive because she doesn't jog daily?

DaveC426913 said:
A good point. If the OP insists that his spouse must remain attractive, will he leave her when things sag and spots grow and stuff falls out?

Wha'ts the average length of a marriage these days? 5 years? 3 years? Whatever, it's hardly long enough to worry about wrinkles.

Its probably more reasonable for him to complain about mutual health seeking as a way to attempt to offset increasing health costs that go along with aging; I imagine that preventative health care is far, far less expensive than corrective procedures.

Incidentally, this is not old-fashioned at all; I'm positively archaic in many, many things. I've never heard of weight as a concern in a relationship.

DaveC426913 said:
Or does he draw some sort of line between things becoming unattractive that can't be controlled without a lot of effort/surgery and things that become unattractive because she doesn't jog daily?

That's a very important distinction, isn't it? Not being able to violate the laws of biology is very different from deliberately neglecting your health.

S_Happens said:

So if your wife gained 100 lbs you'd be perfectly fine with that? And not because of some medical issue, but because (like the vast majority of the Americans) people simply stop caring.

Jimmy Snyder said:
The missus and I have been destroying the sanctity of marriage for over 20 years now. In the meantime, our physical appearance has changed somewhat, not all of it for the better. This mutual display of disrespect hasn't changed our feelings for each other though. We're as willing to fight, bicker, disagree, and then make up as ever. Are you prepared to see your wife wrinkle, gray, and sag right before your eyes even while staying skinny for you? Or is that disrespectful too?

That's a stupid comparison, because people can't control their aging, but people can control what they eat and whether they choose to exercise or not. Funny how neither of my grandparents have become heavy as they aged, but it seems like you guys are suggesting that getting fat is an inescapable reality of aging.

But why are you jumping straight to the elderly to make your point - most people get married in their late twenties/early thirties. Wheres the excuse for people in their 40's and 50's?

This is thread is nonsense filled with generalizations ... like "because (like the vast majority of the Americans) people simply stop caring"., "A man or woman was attracted to you based on how you looked when he/she met you - and obviously they like that kind of physique",...

Once I had considered all prerequisites for getting into a relationship: finance, home, car, job... but I didn't think of physical appearances. Thinking of it again, I don't see quite distinct future me married or even in a relationship :cry:.

It's important to respect your partner's needs, not to assume that you know what they are, or that they will not change over time.

rootX said:
This is thread is nonsense filled with generalizations ...
This.

The thread is rife with accusers supposing they've walked a mile in someone else's shoes and then supposing why they do what they apparently do, such as "... because (like the vast majority of the Americans) people simply stop caring..."

DaveC426913 said:
The municipal government frown upon chasing buffalo across the plains for days at a time on a lot the size of mine.

Seriously though, it's a virtual impossibility to live like our ancestors. It would be folly to pretend that diet, lifestyle and fitness have only to do with how many calories one takes in.

of course not. it's got a lot to do with energy expenditure, which was the bigger point.

rootX said:
... I don't see quite distinct future me married or even in a relationship :cry:.

Skinny guys can have fun too. :devil:

Proton Soup said:
of course not. it's got a lot to do with energy expenditure, which was the bigger point.

Which is also virtually imposisble to do at the same level as our ancestors without some artificial working out.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it takes effort to work it into a schedule.

I remember reading in Scientific American that one advantage to gaining a little weight as you age is that it helps prevent bones from breaking as they get more brittle.

pergradus said:
So if your wife gained 100 lbs you'd be perfectly fine with that? And not because of some medical issue, but because (like the vast majority of the Americans) people simply stop caring.

My answer to that doesn't change the fact that you have a gross misunderstanding of marriage in general. Physical attraction only goes so far, and is much more relevant in the dating/single world. I'm not going to school you on marriage or give you the details on why I have a successful one.

In the end, it is certainly subjective. It may or may not be important to someone, but that is for them to decide. Statistically, it is not one of the major reasons for divorce, which means there are bigger things to worry about. This is what my point is, and is what shows your lack of understanding about marriage.

S_Happens said:
Statistically, it is not one of the major reasons for divorce, which means there are bigger things to worry about.

This is a good point, worth noting. It is a quantifiable and objective take on the subject of what is not a deal-breaker in a marriage.

I understand that statistically, most divorces involve issues of money, no?

Lichdar said:
I understand that statistically, most divorces involve issues of money, no?
and communication issues.