Percentage of Electrons Tunneling Through?

In summary: In this case, it is relevant to the change in thickness of the barrier. In summary, the percentage of electrons that will tunnel through the barrier when the thickness is decreased to 0.86 d can be calculated using the equation P(d*a) = exp(-2αd*a) = exp(-2αd)^a = 0.05^a, where a is the ratio of the decreased thickness to the original thickness.
Miley

Homework Statement

A stream of electrons is of energy E is incident on a potential barrier of height U and thickness d. Even though U >> E, 5% of the electrons tunnel through the barrier. If the thickness of the barrier decrease to 0.86 d, what percentage of the electrons will tunnel through?

Homework Equations

P(d) = 0.05 = exp(-2αd)
P(d*a) = exp(-2αd*a) = exp(-2αd)^a = 0.05^a

Here a is a constant.

Convert to %.

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I tried "reasoning" my way through it (haha), thinking that if the thickness (d) decreased from an arbitrary 1 (100%) to a 0.4 (40%), then that's a 60% change in the thickness, meaning the 5% would also change by 60%, making that a 3%.

But clearly...I'm missing something right in front of me. I guess what's throwing me this time is the equation offered in the hint of: P(d*a) = exp(-2αd*a) = exp(-2αd)^a = 0.05^a. Where did the "a" come from, and where do plug in numbers to convert it to said percent?

Physics news on Phys.org
Miley said:
Where did the "a" come from, and where do plug in numbers to convert it to said percent?
The hint is true for any a. You need to choose a value for a which is relevant to the problem.

1. What is the percentage of electrons that can tunnel through a barrier?

The percentage of electrons that can tunnel through a barrier depends on various factors such as the type and thickness of the barrier, the energy of the electrons, and the temperature. In general, the percentage is very small and follows an exponential decay with increasing barrier thickness.

2. What is the significance of electrons tunneling through a barrier?

Electron tunneling plays a crucial role in various electronic devices, such as transistors and tunnel diodes. It also has important implications in quantum mechanics and can be used for quantum computing and information storage.

3. How does the energy of the electrons affect the tunneling percentage?

The higher the energy of the electrons, the higher the probability of tunneling through a barrier. This is because higher energy electrons have a shorter wavelength and can better penetrate through the barrier.

4. Can the percentage of electrons tunneling through a barrier be controlled?

Yes, the tunneling percentage can be controlled by manipulating the properties of the barrier, such as its thickness or composition. It can also be influenced by external factors such as an applied electric field or magnetic field.

5. Does temperature have an effect on the percentage of electrons tunneling through a barrier?

Yes, temperature can affect the tunneling percentage. As the temperature increases, the thermal energy of the electrons also increases, making them more likely to overcome the barrier and tunnel through. However, at very low temperatures, quantum effects can dominate and lead to a decrease in tunneling percentage.