Period of Oscillation Homework Statement

In summary, the period of the oscillator is given by: ##T=\sqrt{8m}\int^a_0\frac{dx}{\sqrt{V(a)-V(x)}}.##
Robben

Homework Statement

Assume that the potential is symmetric with respect to zero and the system has amplitude ##a##, show that the period is given by : ##T=\sqrt{8m}\int^a_0\frac{dx}{\sqrt{V(a)-V(x)}}.##

Homework Equations

##E = \frac12 m(\frac{dx}{dt})^2+V(x)##

The Attempt at a Solution

For a particle, I know that at ##t=0## if we release it from rest at position ##x=a## we then have ##\frac{dx}{dt}=0## at ##t=0## and thus ##E=V(a)##. So when the particle reaches the origin for the first time it has gone through one quarter of a period of the oscillator. Thus, I have to integrate with respect to t from ##0## to ##\frac{T}{4}## and rearrange the equation ##E## for ##\frac{dx}{dt}##. But from here I am not sure how to set it up properly to get ##T=\sqrt{8m}\int^a_0\frac{dx}{\sqrt{V(a)-V(x)}}.##

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi. Indeed you already have everything to set up your integral:
If you substitute your value of E in Hamilton's equation, can you separate the variables (functions of x on one side, functions of t on the other)?

Goddar said:
Hi. Indeed you already have everything to set up your integral:
If you substitute your value of E in Hamilton's equation, can you separate the variables (functions of x on one side, functions of t on the other)?

I have ##V(a) -V(x) = \frac12m(\frac{dx}{dt}2) \implies 2\sqrt{V(a)-V(x)} = m\frac{dx}{dt} \implies \implies \sqrt{\frac{2}{m}}dt = \frac{dx}{\sqrt{V(a)-V(x)}}## but I am confused on how they to get ##T##.

What about integrating both sides? You know the limits of the integrals (for t and x) from your first post, so what do you get?

When I am integrate I am not sure how they got the ##\sqrt{8m}##.

What do you get when you integrate dt from 0 to T/4?

Goddar said:
What do you get when you integrate dt from 0 to T/4?

We will get ##T/4## if we integrate dt from 0 to T/4.

Ok, then what is (T/4)⋅(2/m)1/2?
This is just algebra...

Goddar said:
Ok, then what is (T/4)⋅(2/m)1/2?
This is just algebra...
Oh wow.. how dumb am I. Thank you very much!

Can you show step by step procedure? I am confused

juliocezario30 said:
Can you show step by step procedure? I am confused
The thread is a year old. Quite possibly neither participant still uses PF. If you have been given the same homework problem, please follow forum rules by posting your own attempt. A new thread might be best.

Related to Period of Oscillation Homework Statement

1. What is the Period of Oscillation?

The Period of Oscillation refers to the time it takes for a complete cycle of a repetitive motion to occur. It is typically denoted by the symbol T and is measured in seconds.

2. How is the Period of Oscillation calculated?

The Period of Oscillation can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(l/g), where l is the length of the oscillating object and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula is known as the Pendulum Equation and is applicable to simple pendulums and other oscillating systems.

3. What factors affect the Period of Oscillation?

The Period of Oscillation is affected by the length of the oscillating object, the strength of gravity, and the stiffness of the system. Other factors such as air resistance, friction, and mass of the object may also have an impact on the Period of Oscillation.

4. How is the Period of Oscillation related to frequency?

The Period of Oscillation and frequency are inversely related. This means that as the Period of Oscillation increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa. The relationship between the two can be represented by the formula f = 1/T, where f is the frequency.

5. What are some real-life examples of Period of Oscillation?

The Period of Oscillation can be observed in many natural phenomena and man-made objects. Some examples include a swinging pendulum, a bobbing buoy in the ocean, a vibrating guitar string, and the motion of a swing at a playground. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to study the behavior of various systems.