Perpendicular Vector with given magnitude

In summary: Ah! In summary, the vector A has a magnitude of 9.43 and perpendicular lines with that magnitude are either B=-5i-8j or 5i+8j.
NEUhusky

Homework Statement

Given a vector A = 8i − 5j, find the vectors in the xy plane that are perpendicular to A and have a magnitude of 14.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find the vector perpendicular to A quite easily. I'm having trouble finding the perpendicular line when it has the given magnitude of 14. I have a feeling it's going to be an easy solution but something isn't clicking in my brain at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi NEUhusky! Welcome to PF! :wink:

The magnitude of ai + bj is √(a2 + b2) …

show us what you get. :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi NEUhusky! Welcome to PF! :wink:

The magnitude of ai + bj is √(a2 + b2) …

show us what you get. :smile:

Thanks! Glad I found this place! :smile:

Hm, well the magnitude of the given vector A is √(8^2+5^2) which is approximately 9.43.

Using the dot product I know that the perpendicular lines are either B = -5i-8j or 5i+8j because the dot product equals zero. Unfortunately the magnitude is still the same as A when it needs to be 14. Still kinda lost.

ah!

no, 5i + 8j is a point on the perpendicular line …

multiply it by anything, and you'll get more points on the perpendicular line …

choose the correct multiples to get 14. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
ah!

no, 5i + 8j is a point on the perpendicular line …

multiply it by anything, and you'll get more points on the perpendicular line …

choose the correct multiples to get 14. :wink:

Ugh, still a bit confused. Multiples to get 14 would be either 2 & 7 or 1 & 14. I'm not sure how that applies. Doesn't the magnitude ( √(a2 + b2) ) have to equal 14?

Hi NEUhusky! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
NEUhusky said:
Ugh, still a bit confused. Multiples to get 14 would be either 2 & 7 or 1 & 14. I'm not sure how that applies. Doesn't the magnitude ( √(a2 + b2) ) have to equal 14?

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

Yes, but it doesn't have to be an integer! :wink:

Related to Perpendicular Vector with given magnitude

1. What is a perpendicular vector with a given magnitude?

A perpendicular vector with a given magnitude is a vector that is perpendicular (or at a right angle) to another vector, and has a specific length or magnitude.

2. How do you find the direction of a perpendicular vector with a given magnitude?

The direction of a perpendicular vector with a given magnitude can be found by first determining the direction of the original vector, and then rotating it 90 degrees in either a clockwise or counterclockwise direction.

3. What is the relationship between the magnitude of a perpendicular vector and the magnitude of the original vector?

The magnitude of a perpendicular vector with a given magnitude will always be equal to the magnitude of the original vector, since they are essentially the same length. However, their directions will be perpendicular to each other.

4. How can perpendicular vectors with a given magnitude be useful in real-world applications?

Perpendicular vectors with a given magnitude can be used in many real-world applications, such as in engineering and physics, to describe the direction of forces or movements. They can also be used in navigation and mapping to determine the direction and distance between two points.

5. Can a vector have a negative magnitude?

No, a vector cannot have a negative magnitude. Magnitude is a measure of the length of a vector, and length cannot be negative. However, a vector can have a negative direction, which means it is pointing in the opposite direction of a positive vector with the same magnitude.