PF Poll: Who Bets on SUSY Solution?

In summary: This thread sums up why I dislike this section. It's more about cheerleading (rah ! rah! for our theory!) than science. This particular poll asks people to decide between choices that are not exclusive: do you walk to work or bring a lunch?

Where would you put your dollar on?

• SUSY

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • LQG

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • CCC

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • MWI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • neither of the above

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • a mixture of the above

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
Today I was watching some videos which were posted here on PF. E.g. a long interview with Sir Roger Penrose on CCC. That made me ask, how are the current theories supported by the members of PF. Is there a majority who would bet on a SUSY solution? So ...

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm split between SUSY and LQG, but for the time being anyway, I'm going with SUSY.
(but my bet is in Euro currency).

I'm not sure whether these choices make sense. E.g., SUSY and LQG aim to explain different things.

haushofer said:
I'm not sure whether these choices make sense. E.g., SUSY and LQG aim to explain different things.

Since he didn't put string theory, I voted SUSY - very high energy SUSY :)

This thread sums up why I dislike this section. It's more about cheerleading (rah ! rah! for our theory!) than science. This particular poll asks people to decide between choices that are not exclusive: do you walk to work or bring a lunch?

Bah, humbug!

Likes strangerep, Demystifier, bapowell and 2 others
Vanadium 50 said:
This thread sums up why I dislike this section. It's more about cheerleading (rah ! rah! for our theory!) than science. This particular poll asks people to decide between choices that are not exclusive: do you walk to work or bring a lunch?

Bah, humbug!
You can dislike this section how much you like, but the fact of the matter is that people who come here in physicsforums are mostly people who aren't well versed in the mathematical technicalities of these theories, so if they come to this section they mostly ask naive questions without into going to technicalities; but as every scientist knows the details are the most important part of every science.
There's no easy route to go in science.

I don't mind naive questions. I mind uninformed opinions.

Likes Urs Schreiber and Frimus
I don't mind if you close this thread, I agree that it's quite ridiculous poll, but we had similar polls when Marcus were alive.

Vanadium 50 said:

Bah, humbug!

Are you a cheer leader for Frequentist thinking or do you believe the space of theories is discrete?

It was meant to be a fun and to look at tendencies. Not as a serious discussion on the various models. There are already plenty of them.
Penrose has been far less picky as he talked about, e.g. the entropy problem in his model and those of others.
I simply was curious where the majority tends to.
Close it, I don't mind.

Last edited:
MathematicalPhysicist said:
I don't mind if you close this thread, I agree that it's quite ridiculous poll, but we had similar polls when Marcus were alive.

Marcus died?

Vanadium 50 said:
[...] this section [is] more about cheerleading (rah ! rah! for our theory!) than science.
Yeah -- too much like religion.

In fact, I'm VERY OFFENDED that Pastafarianism was not included on the list of options.

1. What is the SUSY solution and why is it important in science?

The SUSY solution, or the Supersymmetric solution, is a theoretical framework in physics that aims to unify the understanding of fundamental particles and forces in the universe. It proposes the existence of a new type of symmetry between matter and forces, which could potentially explain the discrepancies between the Standard Model of particle physics and the theory of gravity. It is important in science because it has the potential to solve some of the biggest mysteries in physics, such as the nature of dark matter and the unification of all fundamental forces.

2. How does the SUSY solution work?

The SUSY solution proposes that every known fundamental particle has a "superpartner" with a different spin. This symmetry between particles and their superpartners could potentially explain why particles have different masses and why gravity is so weak compared to other forces. Additionally, it predicts the existence of new particles that could be detected by high-energy particle colliders.

3. What evidence supports the SUSY solution?

So far, there is no direct evidence for the existence of SUSY particles. However, there are some indirect pieces of evidence that support the SUSY solution. For example, the theory predicts the existence of a type of particle called the neutralino, which could potentially explain the abundance of dark matter in the universe. Additionally, the unification of forces and the cancellation of divergent terms in calculations also provide some evidence for SUSY.

4. Why is there debate about the SUSY solution?

While the SUSY solution is an attractive theory, there is still no experimental evidence to support it. Some scientists argue that the lack of evidence and the complexity of the theory make it less likely to be the correct solution. Additionally, some versions of the theory have been ruled out by experimental data, leading to ongoing debates and refinements of the SUSY framework.

5. What are the potential implications of the SUSY solution?

If the SUSY solution is proven to be correct, it would revolutionize our understanding of the universe and have significant implications for particle physics and cosmology. It could also potentially provide a unifying theory for all fundamental forces and lead to new technologies and advancements in our understanding of the universe.