PF's favorite movies poll - nominations

In summary, the poll will be conducted, nominations will be accepted, and the final poll will be posted in a new thread.
DaveC426913 said:
So, you highlight another nuance of this topic:
The ask was actually "favorite" - not "better"
Yes, that was exactly my intention, and maybe I should have been more descriptive about that.

To everybody:

My intention was for participants (nominators) to list your favorite movies (primarily), not the movies you consider the best (there could of course be overlapping here, since some of your favorite movies may also be among those you consider to be the best ones).

The reason is that my objective with the upcoming poll is to get a list of the most liked movies among PF members. And thus the final poll result will mainly reflect movie popularity and not (necessarily) esthetic value.

And if anyone wants to change the nominations due to this or anything else, feel free to do so.
Just post a new nominations post here in the thread and write e.g. "Updated nominations:" first in the post. :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I won't change anything in my list for the moment, it has a sort of balance. But I thought of a few oustanding films maybe forgotten, not mentioned by anyone yet that I could see, but that somebody like might like to be reminded of :oldsmile: :

High Noon
The Invasion of the Body Snatchers
The Hill
King Solomon's Mines
Small Time Crooks

Likes DennisN
DennisN said:
Yes, that was exactly my intention, and maybe I should have been more descriptive about that.

To everybody:

My intention was for participants (nominators) to list your favorite movies (primarily), not the movies you consider the best (there could of course be overlapping here, since some of your favorite movies may also be among those you consider to be the best ones).

The reason is that my objective with the upcoming poll is to get a list of the most liked movies among PF members. And thus the final poll result will mainly reflect movie popularity and not (necessarily) esthetic value.

And if anyone wants to change the nominations due to this or anything else, feel free to do so.
Just post a new nominations post here in the thread and write e.g. "Updated nominations:" first in the post. :smile:
I think I'll stick with mine and curse my bad memory.
Rambo first blood is one that I should not have forgotten but I will have to live with it.

Likes DennisN
What about favorite movie about a physics hero. _Infinity_ is about Richard Feynman up to just after WWII.

The movie deals with his experiences just before being on the bomb project to just after.

There are many of the beloved stories form _Surely you Must Be Joking_ and _What do You Care What Other People Think?_, the two books of anecdotes Feynman published. Such as going out through a hole in the fence, then in through the front gate, then out through the hole and in through the gate, again and again until somebody noticed. Or getting a double-dorm room to himself by putting his wife's bathroom stuff and nightgown out on the other bunk, scandalizing the cleaning staff. And, of course, "safe cracking."

On of the more emotional parts is, of course, his wife's illness. She was in a sanatorium not very far from Los Alamos, trying to cope. They would send letters with little codes to challenge each other, and that was not allowed in a war-time weapons lab. So they both but most especially she chaffed under this requirement.

There were also many little stories about his efforts to manage the trip between the lab and the sanatorium. Borrowing cars, sharing rides with other people from the lab, etc. And dodging some trouble when one of the people he caught a ride with was Klaus Fuchs.

When she died, Feynman repressed the emotion because he was deep in the most intense part of the bomb project. We get to watch with him as the Trinity test goes off. He managed to hold it in until months later when he was walking down a street and saw a dress in a shop window, and happened to think how much his wife would like that dress. And then he lost it.

Likes epenguin
DEvens said:
What about favorite movie about a physics hero. _Infinity_ is about Richard Feynman up to just after WWII.

The movie deals with his experiences just before being on the bomb project to just after.

There are many of the beloved stories form _Surely you Must Be Joking_ and _What do You Care What Other People Think?_, the two books of anecdotes Feynman published. Such as going out through a hole in the fence, then in through the front gate, then out through the hole and in through the gate, again and again until somebody noticed. Or getting a double-dorm room to himself by putting his wife's bathroom stuff and nightgown out on the other bunk, scandalizing the cleaning staff. And, of course, "safe cracking."

On of the more emotional parts is, of course, his wife's illness. She was in a sanatorium not very far from Los Alamos, trying to cope. They would send letters with little codes to challenge each other, and that was not allowed in a war-time weapons lab. So they both but most especially she chaffed under this requirement.

There were also many little stories about his efforts to manage the trip between the lab and the sanatorium. Borrowing cars, sharing rides with other people from the lab, etc. And dodging some trouble when one of the people he caught a ride with was Klaus Fuchs.

When she died, Feynman repressed the emotion because he was deep in the most intense part of the bomb project. We get to watch with him as the Trinity test goes off. He managed to hold it in until months later when he was walking down a street and saw a dress in a shop window, and happened to think how much his wife would like that dress. And then he lost it.
That's on another thread, I can't remember which though.
I watched it recently, it's not focused on the physics that much but it's still good.

DEvens said:

Ah, I had forgotten that genre! I love it! The intellectual biography film.

Sort of film shown only in Arts Cinemas. Though in more recent years tending to break out of that area with bigger productions as with "Theory of Everything". And the various films based on Turing. And "A Dangerous Method" about Jung and Freud. Hope to see Ramanujan.The most obscure of these, and probably the obscurest film mentioned on this thread :approve: :oldbiggrin: must be "Death of a Neapolitan Mathematician" about Renato Caccioppoli who only in a place like PF would a few people have heard of. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_a_Neapolitan_Mathematician
Googling the title turns up many pages and you can see clips from it, but I think not much in English.

Other films of that type I remember one on Wittgenstein and there is one on Hannah Ahrend. But the best of all IMO is "Song of Summer" about the singular English composer, Frederick Delius, with a part also for the Australian composer and whirlwind, Percy Grainger. I won't put it on my list but you can see it all on Youtube

Last edited:
Hi PF'ers!
The clock is ticking... :smile:
If anyone wants to nominate their 20 favorite movies and have not done so yet, I suggest doing it here in the thread as soon as possible. For more information, see the first post.

I plan to post my nominations some time tomorrow and then start to go through all the submitted nominations in order to do a final poll of the favorite movies on PF (and maybe a Venn-like analysis).

Likes pinball1970
Here are my nominations (chronologically listed, not ranked) with brief comments inspired by @epenguin.
I also add below some honorable mentions which could have been on a larger list of more than 20 movies.

Science Fiction:

1. The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars V, 1980)
Sinister, mature and very well written. The chemistry between Leia (Fisher) and Solo (Ford) is great, as well as the chemistry between Luke (Hamill) and Yoda, who is played by a puppet.

2. Back To The Future (1985)
Science fiction, action, humor, drama, romance and good music. This allround movie has definitely stood the test of time.

3. Aliens (1986)
Action... good action... no, exceptionally good action. And very thrilling.

4. Contact (1997)
Jodie Foster, James Woods et al. in a movie that elegantly aims for the stars.

5. The Truman Show (1998)
A science fiction satire about a very popular reality tv show that is recorded live 24/7 in the largest studio ever built. Jim Carrey is splendid as Truman Burbank, which is a role that is remarkably serious considering Carrey's other roles. The movie is also eerily visionary; compare with modern popular media like reality tv, personal blogs and personal video channels on youtube nowadays.

Drama:

1. Casablanca (1942)
Tight story, great dialogue, entertaining and suspenseful.

2. The Right Stuff (1983)
The story of test pilots trying out new aircraft and trying to break the sound barrier, and the story of the first American astronauts and the Apollo program.

3. Amadeus (1984)
A wonderfully filmed tale about brilliance, envy, romance, plotting and madness.

4. Empire of the Sun (1987)
Great story, good acting, beautiful and engaging.

5. Almost Famous (2000)
Good story, good acting, thoughtful and funny.

Thriller/Action:

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
A great, thrilling adventure with a historical and mythological flavor.

2. The Untouchables (1987)
A thrilling police versus gangsters story with great actors.

3. The Silence Of The Lambs (1991)
Thrilling to the bone.

4. Shutter Island (2010)
A thriller mystery story with quite many surprises.

5. The Imitation Game (2014)
A WW2 drama/thriller based on a true story. Great acting.

Other (comedies/animated):

1. The Jungle Book (Disney, 1967)
Great story, great music and entertaining. I love it.

2. The Sting (1973)
A wonderful heist movie with many surprises.

3. Life of Brian (Monty Python, 1979)
A very funny comedy with serious messages underneath it all.

4. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1998)
A very funny comedy about two competing con men on the riviera.

5. Shrek (2001)
He's green and the movie is very funny.

Honorable mentions:

Schindler's List, Mission Impossible 3 and/or 4, Nikita, Pulp Fiction, Jurassic Park, Blazing Saddles, Groundhog Day, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch, As Good as It Gets, Bitter Moon, Bridge of Spies, Erin Brockovich, Falling Down, Fight Club, Apollo 13, Gandhi, Gladiator, Gran Torino, Little Miss Sunshine, Mississippi Burning, Munich, The Name of the Rose, The Shining, Angel Heart, A New Hope (Star Wars), Alien, Terminator 2 and some other science fiction :smile:.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
I'll keep the thread open for a while, if anyone else decides to sneak in some more nominations :smile:.
I plan to go through all nominations some time tomorrow!
See you!

What would movies be without poster art?
1573338388726.png

All versions of Shakespeare's "Lear" tend to unsettle. "Ran" turns and rattles the cinematic world placed in feudal Japan. Fool -- sensing the obvious -- wraps the self-deposed monarch within alternating wreaths of contempt and compassion.

I miss Lear's daughters particularly enigmatic Cordelia, but the two scheming brothers and their conniving wives more than counter the one prince and consort who care for the aged ruler.

Likes DennisN
BillTre said:
Empire of the Sun (cinematically superb IMHO, great symbolic use of an atom bomb)
I agree, as you can see in my nominations post above. Nice to see that someone else chose that one too :smile:. I may not have remembered it if I didn't go through my entire movie library when I chose my favorites.

Likes BillTre and Klystron
@Bystander, I have a couple of questions...
Bystander said:
GB&U
Could you please clarify which movie this is`? I don't understand.

And,
Bystander said:
12. Back to the Future
13. " " " "
14. " " " "
In 13 and 14, do you mean the two Back to the Future sequels?

collinsmark said:
I'm somewhat confident that this is the definitively correct list.
4. The Princess Bride
Inconceivable!

Likes collinsmark
DennisN said:
I have a couple of questions...
Good, Bad, & Ugglllyyyy. (Had to stop & think a minute...shorthand simply does not work for movie lists) Yes, and yes.

Likes DennisN
Here is my list arranged chronologically to disambiguate title degeneracies with remakes, spin-offs, etc.
Dracula 1931
Alexander Nevsky 1938
Casablanca 1942
The African Queen 1951
The Crimson Pirate 1952
The Seven Samurai 1956
Some Like It Hot 1959
North by Northwest 1959
Divorce Italian Style 1962
Dr. Strangelove 1964
The Good the Bad and the Ugly 1966
The Graduate 1967
M*A*S*H* 1970
The Godfather I 1972
American Graffiti 1973
The Sting 1973
Young Frankenstein 1974
Raiders of the Lost Ark 1981
Tootsie 1982
Lord of the Rings, Return of the King 2003

Likes Klystron and DennisN
Crimson Pirate; damn, 'nother that slipped by me.

Hi all, and thanks for all nominations, and thanks to @kuruman for submitting new nominations.
I got a bit delayed due to real life stuff, but now I will go through all nominations and make a list of movies that have got the most nominations.

This is what I want to say in the meantime. :smile:

Likes pinball1970
Hi again, I am going through the nominations and making a list of movies with more than one nomination, and it looks like we are going to get a very fine list of movies for the final poll.

I have however found one arbitrary nomination:

@Klystron nominated The Maltese Falcon (1931) (since Klystron specified the year 1931)
Klystron said:
Maltese Falcon

and @marcusl nominated
marcusl said:
The Maltese Falcon
without any specification.

So my question to @marcusl is which movie you mean, since there are three movies with this name:

Wikipedia said:
The Maltese Falcon (1931 film), adaptation of Dashiell Hammett novel, staring Ricardo Cortez and directed by Roy Del Ruth
The Maltese Falcon (1936 film), another adaptation, released as Satan Met a Lady, with Warren William, directed by William Dieterle
The Maltese Falcon (1941 film), best-known adaptation of novel, staring Humphrey Bogart and directed by John Huston
(quote from from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Maltese_Falcon)

I never knew about the others. I was thinking of Bogart in 1941.

Likes DennisN
Ok fellows, some intermediary stats...

We have got nominations from 14 persons, and I have calculated that 39 movies got more than one nomination.

Movies with the most nominations:

There were three movies with 4 nominations:
  • Casablanca
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • The Godfather
closely followed by four movies with 3,5 nominations:
  • Alien
  • Aliens
  • Life of Brian
and then a bunch of movies with 3 and 2 nominations.

Here is an image which shows the nominations count for these 39 movies:

49051782728_cc4318f019_b.jpg

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
Which Thing is that Thing?
There were at least three.
I like the second one.

I officially protest the American hegemony of this list! Luc Besson deserves better!

Likes Klystron
fresh_42 said:
Luc Besson deserves better!
Agreed.

fresh_42 said:
I officially protest the American hegemony of this list! Luc Besson deserves better!
Wiki says he was involved with making 89 films. Do you have a couple of favorites?
Aside from "The Fifth Element", as I've watched it about 1000 times. I love that movie.

fresh_42 said:

Then Jean Renoir deserves much better! :oldgrumpy:

Likes Klystron
OmCheeto said:
Do you have a couple of favorites?
I like him as I writer, too: Wasabi, The Transporter, Léon. Especially Wasabi is similar to the Fifth Element, even though a different story and setup, but similar in action and comic style.

Likes OmCheeto
OmCheeto said:
Wiki says he was involved with making 89 films. Do you have a couple of favorites?
Aside from "The Fifth Element", as I've watched it about 1000 times. I love that movie.
I liked The Big Blue (Le Grand Bleu) and Nikita (La Femme Nikita) very much, but I haven't seen them in a long time. I also like The Fifth Element and Léon. And the corrupt DEA agent Norman Stansfield in Léon, played by Gary Oldman, is in my opinion one of the best villains of all time (one clip here).

Last edited:
Likes Klystron and OmCheeto
DennisN said:
Hi again, I am going through the nominations and making a list of movies with more than one nomination, and it looks like we are going to get a very fine list of movies for the final poll.

I have however found one arbitrary nomination:

@Klystron nominated The Maltese Falcon (1931) (since Klystron specified the year 1931)and @marcusl nominated

without any specification.

So my question to @marcusl is which movie you mean, since there are three movies with this name:(quote from from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Maltese_Falcon)
I changed my nomination to the 1941 John Huston version; close to the original novel and superb acting. Thanks.

Likes DennisN
fresh_42 said:
Greatness is not interested in nationality Fresh only Greatness.
If we did top 20 classical composers the USA probably would not do too well.

Anyway what does 3, 5 mean? It's either 3 votes or 5 am I missing something?
Also does position count for anything? More for @DennisN

pinball1970 said:
Greatness is not interested in nationality Fresh only Greatness.
Yes, and I was only half way serious. However, the real reason for that bias is another: the knowledge of movies. You cannot nominate what you do not know, and this is not caused by greatness, rather by market presence instead.

pinball1970 said:
Anyway what does 3, 5 mean? It's either 3 votes or 5 am I missing something?
No votes, only nominations.
BillTre, in post #11, grouped two movies and wanted to give them half a point each, so I did that when I counted nominations.

pinball1970 said:
Also does position count for anything? More for @DennisN
No, position (nominations) does not mean anything other than a guideline for me on which movies to include in a final poll. I was just providing some stats for us stat nerds :smile:.

I am currently thinking about what to do in a final poll and how many movies to include. Among the 39 movies with more than one nomination we have the following options:

At least 4 nominations: 3 movies
At least 3.5 nominations: 3 + 4 = 7 movies
At least 3 nominations: 3 + 4 + 10 movies = 17 movies
At least 2 nominations: 39 movies

Last edited:
The longer this thread ran the more movies I remembered which could also be on my list, many from other users' nominations, many somehow in between, e.g. "The African Queen" with Bogey and Hepburn, "The Caine Mutiny", and definitely "We're No Angels" - a little jewel with Bogart, Ustinov and Aldo Ray which we all have forgotten! I think my ultimate list would easily exceed 100 200 - I have forgotten Walter Matthau, some domestic movies, Chabrol, Sidney Poitier, Helen Hunt, Morgan Freeman, Nicholas Cage, and and and ...

Summary: The more you list the better! My selection will definitely be different from my list!

Last edited:
Likes Klystron, Bystander and BillTre
fresh_42 said:
Sidney Poitier, Helen Hunt, Morgan Freeman, Nicholas Cage, and and and ...
Yup.

A criticism on Internet polls -- that people tend to nominate their latest current favorites -- actually provides a useful criteria. With enough responses from around the globe one expects many great movies to be listed that may not have entered an individual's list but certainly demand attention. This works both ways.

For example I neglected to include "Casablanca" but expect many others to list this great flick. While I often ignore the director while enjoying a movie, I found myself listing several movies by director such as Kurosawa and Kubrick. I do not mind the restriction to 20 favorite films as I agree with almost every entry made by other members.

For instance I was enthralled by "Jean de Florette" and sequel "Manon of the Springs" but did not remember to list them. I like all of Gerard Depardieu's work that I have seen including his excellent version of "Cyrano" (1990) equal to Jose Ferrer's award winning performance (1950). I also enjoyed Steve Martin's comedic take on Cyrano in "Roxanne" staring Daryl Hannah in the eponymous role. So many movies to choose from. :smile:

Likes DennisN and fresh_42
Klystron said:
I also enjoyed Steve Martin's comedic take on Cyrano in "Roxanne" staring Daryl Hannah
Roxanne Kowalski: Nobody had a coat?
C.D. Bales: I thought you said you didn't want a coat...
Roxanne Kowalski: Why would I not want a coat?
C.D. Bales: You said you didn't want a coat!
Roxanne Kowalski: I was being ironic.
C.D. Bales: Oh, ho, ho, irony! Oh, no, no, we don't get that here.

I love this scene. There are so many places where they don't get that there.

Likes Klystron and DaveC426913