Ph.D. in Plasma Physics and Where?

In summary: This thesis looks at the use of cold plasmas for material processing. It seems as though the author has gained experience in material processing and has done some research in this area. Additionally, the author has a degree in engineering from a reputable university, so he likely has the skills required for a PhD in this field.
onur keskin
Hello everyone. I am new in this forum. I am from Turkey and I want to go abroad for Ph.D. but I have concerns and a lot of questions in my mind.
My GPA from BS is 2,98/4 (I know it is not good). This year my second year my master. Probably I will graduate with 3.50-4.00 GPA. My master thesis will be about Plasma material processing (experimental). Specifically, it is about material processing using cold plasmas ( especially materials are titanium or other metals.). Also, I had worked in private laboratory for 2,5 years which is about 17025 European Standard. I was responsible about Electrical and temperature measuring devices calibration (multimeters, power sources, power analyzers, frequency devices, RTD thermometers, electrical safety testers etc.). I have worked for 6 months for Standard LVD(low voltage directive) laboratory. It is accredited lab. about EN(european norm) and IEC. I know my academic area and my work area are different but I have to work because I do not have money and scholarship.
I want to do Ph.D. in Europe(Holland, Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, UK and etc.) or USA. This is my first concern. Which one is good about academically, life standard, opportunities, lab., and after Ph.D.? My second and biggest concern is that am I good enough for them. Why do they choose me? And what can I do until 2016-2017 academic year for preparing. I don't have enough computer skills. I know C++ basically and I know MS office programs. Is this a huge problem? I am studying English to take good or enough TOEFL and GRE score.
Based on all these, I am waiting for your advice and directive.

Good day.

onur keskin said:
Hello everyone. I am new in this forum. I am from Turkey and I want to go abroad for Ph.D. but I have concerns and a lot of questions in my mind.
My GPA from BS is 2,98/4 (I know it is not good). This year my second year my master. Probably I will graduate with 3.50-4.00 GPA. My master thesis will be about Plasma material processing (experimental). Specifically, it is about material processing using cold plasmas ( especially materials are titanium or other metals.). Also, I had worked in private laboratory for 2,5 years which is about 17025 European Standard. I was responsible about Electrical and temperature measuring devices calibration (multimeters, power sources, power analyzers, frequency devices, RTD thermometers, electrical safety testers etc.). I have worked for 6 months for Standard LVD(low voltage directive) laboratory. It is accredited lab. about EN(european norm) and IEC. I know my academic area and my work area are different but I have to work because I do not have money and scholarship.
I want to do Ph.D. in Europe(Holland, Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, UK and etc.) or USA. This is my first concern. Which one is good about academically, life standard, opportunities, lab., and after Ph.D.? My second and biggest concern is that am I good enough for them. Why do they choose me? And what can I do until 2016-2017 academic year for preparing. I don't have enough computer skills. I know C++ basically and I know MS office programs. Is this a huge problem? I am studying English to take good or enough TOEFL and GRE score.
Based on all these, I am waiting for your advice and directive.

Good day.
One may wish to look at Materials Science/Engineering programs, particularly those with Plasma Processing programs.

Likes babakdarabi
I believe that the University of Texas, Austin (UT) is highly ranked in plasma physics research. They are within the top 5 schools in the country, and they are a public school, which makes the cost somewhat lower. I would look into going there.

This may interest the OP:

http://www.differ.nl/

Also, I have recently briefly looked into the following thesis:

http://http://repository.tue.nl/773252

which was defended at the Technical University Eindhoven (https://www.tue.nl/) in 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Ph.D. in Plasma Physics?

A Ph.D. in Plasma Physics is an advanced degree that focuses on the study of plasma, which is the fourth state of matter that makes up a significant portion of the visible universe. This field combines principles from physics, chemistry, and engineering to understand the properties and behavior of plasma, which has a wide range of applications in fields such as astrophysics, fusion energy, and materials processing.

2. What are the requirements for a Ph.D. in Plasma Physics?

The specific requirements for a Ph.D. in Plasma Physics may vary depending on the university and program, but generally, you will need to have a strong background in physics and mathematics. Most programs also require students to complete coursework, pass qualifying exams, and conduct original research, which culminates in a dissertation.

3. What career opportunities are available with a Ph.D. in Plasma Physics?

Graduates with a Ph.D. in Plasma Physics can pursue careers in academia, research institutions, and government agencies. They can also work in industries such as aerospace, energy, and materials science, where their expertise in plasma physics can be applied to developing new technologies and solving complex problems.

4. What is the difference between experimental and theoretical plasma physics?

Experimental plasma physics involves conducting experiments and collecting data to study the properties and behavior of plasma. Theoretical plasma physics, on the other hand, uses mathematical models and simulations to understand the fundamental principles and predict the behavior of plasma. Both approaches are important in advancing our understanding of plasma and its applications.

5. Where can I pursue a Ph.D. in Plasma Physics?

There are many universities around the world that offer Ph.D. programs in Plasma Physics, including top-ranked institutions such as Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Princeton University, and University of California Los Angeles (UCLA). It is essential to research the specific program and faculty in order to find the best fit for your research interests and career goals.