PH of solution containing HCl and bicarbonate

• Thread starter kmichel1985
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hcl Ph
In summary, the pH of a 1 Liter solution containing 0.000077 M HCl and 0.03 M Na-HCO3 will be near neutral, as the amount of HCl added is unable to substantially change the pH.
kmichel1985
This should be an easy one for some of you, but it's difficult to me because of my lack of chemistry knowledge. This is not a homework problem, but a calculation I need to do for my research.

I need to calculate the pH of a 1 Liter solution containing 0.000077 M HCl and 0.03 M Na-HCO3.
(not necessary to read --->) I started with 10 mL of 25% HCl, which has a concentration of 7.7 M HCl. I diluted this in 1 Liter of water bringing the concentration of HCl down to 0.077 M. I then take 1 mL of this solution and dilute it again in 1 L bringing the concentration of HCl down to 0.000077 M. To this solution I add 2.52 grams of sodium bicarbonate. This has a concentration of 0.03 M (2.52 g) x (1 mol / 84 g) x (1/L). The pKa for bicarbonate/carbonic acid, or HCO3 / H2CO3 is 6.4. The pKa for carbonate/bicarbonate, or CO3/HCO3 is 10.3. Bicarbonate, a buffer, reacts with HCl, as follows:

NaHCO3 + HCl <--> H2CO3 + NaCl

If you don't want to do calculations, could you tell from just looking at the concentrations that I will have a near neutral pH? I'm growing microorganisms.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
If you want to know pH, it is better to measure it.

Amount of HCl you added is three orders of magnitude lower than the amount of bicarbonate, so it is not able to substantially change the pH of the solution - which means you are close to the pH of the bicarbonate (##\frac{pK_{a1}+pK_{a2}}{2}##, see derivation here). pH calculator shows pH changes just by a few hundredths.

Thanks for the help. I just used the calculator and got the same result. Someone else told me I could use Henderson-Hasselbach, but in that equation do I also use the intermediate pKa? This person told me to:

1.) assume that all the HCl is reacted with the bicarbonate to form H2CO3
2.) assume that initially HCO3 and H2CO3 are equimolar
3.) add the concentration of HCl lost to H2SO3 and subtract it from HCO3.

kmichel1985 said:
Thanks for the help. I just used the calculator and got the same result. Someone else told me I could use Henderson-Hasselbach, but in that equation do I also use the intermediate pKa? This person told me to:

1.) assume that all the HCl is reacted with the bicarbonate to form H2CO3
2.) assume that initially HCO3 and H2CO3 are equimolar
3.) add the concentration of HCl lost to H2SO3 and subtract it from HCO3.

That's also a correct approach. Yes, you need to use pKa1 here, as it will be about equilibrium between H2CO3/HCO3-.

Note that HH equation has its limitations, especially when the pH calculated is far from the pKa value, pr when the pKa is small or too high.

Based on the information provided, it appears that you are creating a buffer solution with a mixture of HCl and bicarbonate. The pKa values of bicarbonate and carbonate suggest that this buffer will be able to maintain a near neutral pH, as you suspected. However, to accurately calculate the pH of this solution, you would need to take into account the dissociation of both HCl and bicarbonate, as well as the formation of carbonic acid. This would require a more detailed calculation than just looking at the concentrations. Additionally, the presence of microorganisms can also affect the pH of the solution, so it would be important to monitor the pH during your research. I would recommend consulting with a chemist or conducting a more thorough calculation to ensure the accuracy of your pH measurement for your research.

What is the pH of a solution containing HCl and bicarbonate?

The pH of a solution containing HCl and bicarbonate depends on the concentration of each component and their equilibrium reactions. Generally, a solution with a higher concentration of HCl will have a lower pH, while a higher concentration of bicarbonate will have a higher pH. The actual pH can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.

What is the role of bicarbonate in the pH of a solution containing HCl?

Bicarbonate acts as a buffer in a solution containing HCl. It helps to maintain a stable pH by reacting with excess H+ ions from the HCl. This reaction produces carbonic acid, which then dissociates into water and carbon dioxide. The presence of bicarbonate helps to prevent drastic changes in pH when an acid or base is added to the solution.

How does the concentration of HCl affect the pH of a solution containing bicarbonate?

The higher the concentration of HCl, the more acidic the solution will be. This is because HCl is a strong acid that dissociates completely in water, producing a high concentration of H+ ions. These H+ ions can react with bicarbonate, increasing the concentration of carbonic acid and lowering the pH of the solution.

What happens to the pH of a solution containing HCl and bicarbonate when more HCl is added?

If more HCl is added to the solution, the pH will decrease. This is because the added HCl will increase the concentration of H+ ions, causing more bicarbonate to react and producing more carbonic acid. This will shift the equilibrium towards more H+ ions and lower the pH.

Can the pH of a solution containing HCl and bicarbonate be changed without adding more acid or base?

Yes, the pH of the solution can be changed by altering the concentration of HCl and bicarbonate. For example, adding more bicarbonate will increase the pH by providing more buffer to react with H+ ions. Similarly, adding more HCl will decrease the pH. However, these changes are limited by the equilibrium reactions between HCl, bicarbonate, and carbonic acid.