Phase change material steady melt temp, like ice water?

In summary: RGEES provides a 59F PCM- Shane is talking with a company about a 59F PCM- Shane is also looking at other PCMs to find the best solution
shane2
Ice melting in a box has the water coming off it at a temp just above freezing until all the ice is gone.

Are all phase change materials pretty much the same, with their immediate containment container exterior staying pretty much just above their phase change temp until all the PCM inside has melted? Or, are there additional considerations with PCM, like that it does not conduct internally as well and thus needs to be in flat thinner panels rather than just a big barrel of it?

I'm asking because I'll have a 65 gallon tank of hydroponic nutrient solution inside a very well insulated box (4" freezer panels) starting off at an ideal temp of 60F degrees. The nutrient fluid comes and goes via pipes and is cooled back down to a little less than 60F before returning to keep tank contents at 60F.

I have just enough room in that box for another identical 65 gallon tank that could be filled with a phase change material to buffer temp inside box in case I ever had exterior temps exceed my ability to chill returning fluid sufficiently. That excess heat would be from both externally rising ambient temps conducting into the box and also the fluid coming back into box much hotter than usual, too.

Would the best strategy be to have the 65 gallons of PCM, located in box next to nutrient 65 gallon tank, be designed to melt and absorb heat at, let's say, 61F, thus tempering and slowing down additional excess heat gain in nutrient tank during those extra hot periods that exceeded my usual ability to keep a cap on nutrient tank temps rising via my chilling incoming fluid?

What am I missing here or additional considerations to address to maximize efficiency of PCM helping maintain desired 60F temp?

Thank you for any comments.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you can arrange to cool the PCM to say a couple of degrees below the phase change temperature, then you can use the PCM to cool all your returning solution. Failure of the cooling will then allow the PCM to maintain low temperatures without having to change the solution flow path. Consider using a coiled tube in the top of the PCM tank to chill the bulk PCM, with a separate coiled tube in the bottom of the PCM tank that cools the solution as it returns to the reservoir.

Have you identified a 61° PCM yet? Do solids float or sink, what is the density of the solid and of the liquid phases? Some PCMs have varying composition and so, unlike pure water, do not have a narrow phase change temperature. For example, fats and waxes will have transitions over about 10° or more depending on molecular weight distribution and chemistry. Some compounds may change chemically over time and so change transition temperature.

You are using the solid to liquid phase change so your heat sink will be into the solid phase. Solids obstruct thermal siphoning and so you need a coiled tube passing through the PCM in the tank. You need to consider the forces due to freeze-thaw cycles that might damage the heat exchange coils or the reservoir.

Another possibility would be to fill lengths of flat rubber tube, or “hot-water-bottles”, with PCM, then immerse them in the solution reservoir.

Balumcore,
Yes, of course, running my return line through the PCM would be very efficient, thank you for that.

Also, I can easily bypass it or not right there, always like retaining options in testing new systems.

I'd found a 59F PCM here...
http://www.rgees.com/products.php
...and am talking with them, but also looking and learning from others, too, like at...
http://www.puretemp.com/

- Shane

1. What is a phase change material (PCM)?

A phase change material is a substance that can store and release large amounts of thermal energy as it undergoes a change in its physical state, from solid to liquid or vice versa. This process is known as a phase change and it occurs at a specific temperature called the melting point or freezing point.

2. How does a PCM maintain a steady melt temperature like ice water?

A PCM maintains a steady melt temperature through the process of latent heat. As the PCM absorbs heat from its surroundings, it undergoes a phase change from solid to liquid, releasing latent heat in the form of thermal energy. This process continues until all of the PCM has melted and reached its steady melt temperature.

3. What are the advantages of using a PCM with a steady melt temperature?

There are several advantages of using a PCM with a steady melt temperature, such as:

• It can store and release large amounts of thermal energy, making it an efficient way to control temperature.
  • It can maintain a constant temperature, reducing the need for external heating or cooling.
  • It is environmentally friendly and does not emit harmful gases or chemicals.
  • It has a long lifespan and can be reused multiple times without losing its effectiveness.

4. What are some common applications of PCMs with steady melt temperature?

PCMs with steady melt temperature have a wide range of applications, including:

• Thermal energy storage in buildings to reduce heating and cooling costs.
  • Temperature control in food and beverage storage and transportation.
  • Thermal management in electronics and batteries.
  • Heat regulation in medical devices and equipment.
  • Temperature control in textiles and clothing.

5. How do scientists determine the steady melt temperature of a PCM?

The steady melt temperature of a PCM is determined through experimental testing in a controlled environment. Scientists use techniques such as differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) to measure the heat flow during the phase change and determine the specific temperature at which the PCM melts or freezes. The steady melt temperature can also be affected by factors such as the composition and purity of the PCM, as well as the presence of impurities or additives.