Phase Difference Homework: Find Magnitude of Phase Difference at Detector

In summary, the conversation discusses two sources, A and B, emitting long-range radio waves at a wavelength of 550 m. Source A is shown to be 90° ahead of source B, but also lags behind due to a longer distance rA compared to rB by 140 m. The question asks for the magnitude of the phase difference at the detector, which was initially calculated to be -0.732 rad but was later corrected by a friend.
KingBigness

Homework Statement

Sources A and B emit long-range radio waves of wavelength 550 m, with the phase of the emission from A ahead of that from source B by 90°. The distance rA from A to a detector is greater than the corresponding distance rB from B by 140 m. What is the magnitude of the phase difference at the detector?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially, source A leads source B by 90°, which is equivalent to \frac{1}{4} wavelength.
However, source A also lags behind source B since rA is longer than rB by 140 m, which is \frac{140}{550}=0.2545 wavelength. So the net phase difference between A and B at the
detector is -0.732 Rad.

This is wrong though, can someone help me =D

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How'd you come up with -0.732 rad? It looks like you completely ignored one of the terms.

To be honest I'm not sure.
I have tried everything I can think off but all my answers are wrong.

Thank you for your time but I asked a friend and he showed me. It was just a stupid mistake that I missed thank yiu

Hello,

To find the magnitude of the phase difference at the detector, we can use the formula:

Phase difference = (2π/λ) * (rA - rB)

Where λ is the wavelength (550 m in this case), and rA and rB are the distances from sources A and B respectively to the detector.

Substituting the given values, we get:

Phase difference = (2π/550) * (rA - rB)

= (2π/550) * (rA - (rA - 140))

= (2π/550) * 140

= 0.4036 radians

Therefore, the magnitude of the phase difference at the detector is 0.4036 radians.

Related to Phase Difference Homework: Find Magnitude of Phase Difference at Detector

1. What is phase difference and why is it important in this homework?

Phase difference is the difference in phase between two waves. In this homework, we are using it to determine the magnitude of the phase difference at a detector, which is important in understanding the behavior of waves and their interactions.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of phase difference at a detector?

The magnitude of phase difference at a detector can be calculated by finding the difference in phase between the two waves at that point. This can be done by subtracting the phase of one wave from the other.

3. What are some real-world applications of phase difference?

Phase difference has many real-world applications, such as in signal processing, interference patterns, and the behavior of sound and light waves. It is also used in fields like telecommunications, astronomy, and medical imaging.

4. Can phase difference be negative?

Yes, phase difference can be negative. This occurs when one wave is behind the other in terms of phase, resulting in a negative value when calculating the phase difference.

5. How does the frequency of the waves affect the phase difference at a detector?

The frequency of the waves does not directly affect the magnitude of the phase difference at a detector. However, it does play a role in determining the wavelength of the waves, which can then impact the phase difference. Higher frequency waves have shorter wavelengths, which can result in a larger phase difference at a given point.