Phase Shift of Reflected Wave in Conductive Material

In summary, the question is asking for the phase shift of the electric field of the reflected wave compared to the incident wave when an electromagnetic wave is shed on a conductive material. The solution involves using Maxwell's equations and boundary conditions to find the reflection coefficient, which can be expressed in terms of the complex refractive index. This material can be found in the second half of Griffiths' textbook on electromagnetism.
E92M3

Homework Statement

An EM wave normally shed on a conductive material ([itex]\tilde{\epsilon}=\epsilon+i\epsilon_i,\mu_0[/itex]). Calculate the phase shift of the electric field of the reflected wave relative to that of the incident wave.

Homework Equations

[itex]\nabla^2\textbf{E}=\mu\epsilon\frac{\partial^2\textbf{E}}{\partial t^2}+\mu\sigma\frac{\partial\textbf{E}}{\partial t}\Rightarrow\tilde{\textbf{E}}=\tilde{\textbf{E}}_0e^{i(\tilde{k}z-\omega t)}[/itex]

[itex]\nabla^2\textbf{B}=\mu\epsilon\frac{\partial^2\textbf{B}}{\partial t^2}+\mu\sigma\frac{\partial\textbf{B}}{\partial t}\Rightarrow\tilde{\textbf{B}}=\tilde{\textbf{B}}_0e^{i(\tilde{k}z-\omega t)}[/itex]

[itex]\tilde{k}=k+i\kappa\qquad;\qquad k=\omega\sqrt\frac{\epsilon\mu}{2}\left[\sqrt{1+\left(\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon\mu}\right)^2}+1\right]^{\frac{1}{2}}\,,\qquad\kappa=\omega\sqrt\frac{\epsilon\mu}{2}\left[\sqrt{1+\left(\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon\mu}\right)^2}-1\right]^{\frac{1}{2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If I express [itex]\tilde{k}[/itex] as [itex]\tilde{k}=Ke^{i\phi}[/itex] where [itex]K[/itex] is a constant, I have a phase difference [itex]\phi=\tan^{-1}\frac{\kappa}{k}[/itex]. This however seem to be the phase difference between the E and B field and not between the incident and reflected wave. I am the grader of a course using the second half of Griffiths' EM textbook, but I don't seem to be able to find the solution to this question there.

Physics news on Phys.org
From Maxwell equations you can derive how the B and E waves are related. You also have to know that the tangential components of E and B/μ are continuous at an interface, and that can happen only if there is a reflected wave in addition to the incident wave. Applying the boundary conditions, you get the reflection coefficient at normal incidence in terms of the complex k as r=(ko-k)/(ko+k) (where ko is ω/c). Or you can write that k=ω/c N with N the complex refractive index, and then r= (No-N)/(No+N). You must find related material in Griffiths'.
ehild

What is the definition of phase shift of reflected wave?

The phase shift of a reflected wave is the difference in the phase of the incoming wave and the reflected wave at a specific point in space.

How is phase shift of reflected wave calculated?

The phase shift can be calculated by dividing the wavelength of the incoming wave by the change in angle between the incoming and reflected waves.

What factors affect the phase shift of reflected wave?

The phase shift is affected by the change in angle of the incoming and reflected waves, the wavelength of the incoming wave, and the properties of the reflecting surface.

Why is phase shift of reflected wave important?

The phase shift of reflected waves is important in various fields such as acoustics, optics, and electronics. It helps in understanding the behavior of waves and can be used to manipulate and control them in practical applications.

How can the phase shift of reflected wave be utilized?

The phase shift of reflected wave can be utilized in various applications such as radar systems, signal processing, and interference patterns. It can also be used in medical imaging techniques like ultrasound and sonar technology.