PHD in Computer Science with a concentration in Chaos Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of doing research in the field of Chaos Theory within a Computer Science department for a Phd program. It is emphasized that a faculty member must be willing to supervise the research in order for it to be feasible. The individual also considers the option of studying Computational Physics, specifically in Quantum Information, and asks if self-teaching Physics to a moderate level would be sufficient for this field. The conversation ends with a recommendation to start a new thread for this question.
tkfriend89
Hi everyone,

I am working on a second bachelor's degree in Computer Science, and am hoping to enter a Phd program in fall of 2019. Recently, I have taken an interest in Chaos Theory and was wondering if it is possible to do research in the field in the Computer Science department, or if it is usually the work of Physics Phds?

I plan on taking Physics 1, and Differential equations in the Spring 2018.

So far I have taken:
Calc 1 -3, Linear Algebra, Discrete mathematics, Calculus-based Probability, and Time Series Analysis. Along with my Computer science classes.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
tkfriend89 said:
Hi everyone,

I am working on a second bachelor's degree in Computer Science, and am hoping to enter a Phd program in fall of 2019. Recently, I have taken an interest in Chaos Theory and was wondering if it is possible to do research in the field in the Computer Science department, or if it is usually the work of Physics Phds?

I plan on taking Physics 1, and Differential equations in the Spring 2018.

So far I have taken:
Calc 1 -3, Linear Algebra, Discrete mathematics, Calculus-based Probability, and Time Series Analysis. Along with my Computer science classes.

Thanks.

Here's the thing. To do a research work in a PhD program, there has to be a faculty member the department that you enrolled into supervise your work. Typically, this person is an expert in the very area that you are working in. This faculty member controls almost every aspect of your work, and may even be the person who pays you research assistantship to do such work.

So the question isn't just "if I can do this work", rather, is there anyone in the department who CAN and willing to be the academic advisor/supervisor of that work! There is no point in wanting to do such-and-such, and there's no one there who is willing to be your official supervisor, because the dept. and the school will not let you continue.

Contact the school and the dept. you wish to enroll for your Ph.D work. Ask then this very same question you're asking here and see if there is at least one faculty member who knows this topic AND is willing to be your supervisor.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Here's the thing. To do a research work in a PhD program, there has to be a faculty member the department that you enrolled into supervise your work. Typically, this person is an expert in the very area that you are working in. This faculty member controls almost every aspect of your work, and may even be the person who pays you research assistantship to do such work.

So the question isn't just "if I can do this work", rather, is there anyone in the department who CAN and willing to be the academic advisor/supervisor of that work! There is no point in wanting to do such-and-such, and there's no one there who is willing to be your official supervisor, because the dept. and the school will not let you continue.

Contact the school and the dept. you wish to enroll for your Ph.D work. Ask then this very same question you're asking here and see if there is at least one faculty member who knows this topic AND is willing to be your supervisor.

Zz.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I did a bit more soul searching yesterday, and it seems something along the lines of "Computational Physics" may be more aligned with what I am looking for.

I did end up researching different Quantum Information labs at schools like Pit and Maryland. Those seemed like a great intersection between Physics and CS, but it seems like I would need the knowledge of at least a B.S in Physics to go along with my Phd in CS. Do you think that If I self teach Physics to the level of scoring Moderately high on the Physics GRE, would be sufficient knowledge for something like Quantum Information? I'm talking about something like 2 years of self study from scratch.

tkfriend89 said:
Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I did a bit more soul searching yesterday, and it seems something along the lines of "Computational Physics" may be more aligned with what I am looking for.

I did end up researching different Quantum Information labs at schools like Pit and Maryland. Those seemed like a great intersection between Physics and CS, but it seems like I would need the knowledge of at least a B.S in Physics to go along with my Phd in CS. Do you think that If I self teach Physics to the level of scoring Moderately high on the Physics GRE, would be sufficient knowledge for something like Quantum Information? I'm talking about something like 2 years of self study from scratch.

This is now a different question. Start with this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...if-my-bachelors-degree-isnt-in-physics.64966/

Zz.

1. What is a PHD in Computer Science with a concentration in Chaos Theory?

A PHD in Computer Science with a concentration in Chaos Theory is a doctoral degree program that combines the study of computer science with chaos theory, a branch of mathematics that studies complex and unpredictable systems. This field of study explores the applications of chaos theory in computer science, including artificial intelligence, data analysis, and cryptography.

2. What are the requirements for a PHD in Computer Science with a concentration in Chaos Theory?

The specific requirements for a PHD in Computer Science with a concentration in Chaos Theory may vary depending on the university or program, but typically include completing coursework, passing comprehensive exams, and conducting original research in the field. Some programs may also require students to teach or complete a dissertation.

3. What career opportunities are available with a PHD in Computer Science with a concentration in Chaos Theory?

Graduates with a PHD in Computer Science with a concentration in Chaos Theory may pursue careers in academia, conducting research and teaching at universities. They may also work in research and development for government agencies or private companies, or in industries such as data analysis, finance, and technology.

4. How long does it take to complete a PHD in Computer Science with a concentration in Chaos Theory?

The length of a PHD program can vary, but on average it takes 4-6 years to complete. This includes coursework, research, and dissertation writing. The time may also be impacted by factors such as whether the student is attending full-time or part-time, and their progress in completing the required milestones.

5. What skills and knowledge will I gain from a PHD in Computer Science with a concentration in Chaos Theory?

Students in this program will develop a strong foundation in computer science principles, as well as advanced knowledge in chaos theory and its applications in computer science. They will also gain experience in conducting research, analyzing data, and presenting findings. Additionally, students may develop skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication.