PhD Topic Change: Is It Common for Physicists?

In summary, the conversation is about whether it is common for physics graduate students to change the topic of their research focus while in graduate school. The speaker shares their personal experience of changing their research focus from experimental to computational physics and advises that personal motivation should guide one's path. Clarification is requested about the meaning of "graduate school" and "topic" in the question, and it is pointed out that the person asking the question is an undergraduate student seeking advice on which undergraduate schools to attend.
Josh0768
Is it common for physics grads to change the topic of their research focus (staying within physics) while at graduate school?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not aware of the statistics regarding how common it is however I myself did it. Completed my master on an experimental project and my PhD was completely different subject in computational physics. I was lucky to discuss my differences with my professor at an early stage in PhD and settled the issue by seperating our ways. (I do not regret this decision even once when I turn back and look.) Your own motivation should shape your way.

Josh0768 said:
Is it common for physics grads to change the topic of their research focus (staying within physics) while at graduate school?
Maybe explain how you mean, "grad school" or PhD program.
Did you mean, Masters degree for one topic and then PhD for a different topic? Did you mean, start PhD in one topic but want to change to a different topic?

Why do you need to know, given that you are still in high school? As pointed out "graduate school", "topic', "focus" can mean many things. If you could be clearer in the question, you might get better answers.

Vanadium 50 said:
Why do you need to know, given that you are still in high school? As pointed out "graduate school", "topic', "focus" can mean many things. If you could be clearer in the question, you might get better answers.
"You" who? josh0768 is an undergraduate student according to profile page. I already have a degree , something beyond high school which I already graduated years before that.

symbolipoint said:
josh0768 is an undergraduate student according to profile page

He's asking about which undergrad schools to attend here and here.

1. Is it common for physicists to change their PhD topic?

Yes, it is fairly common for physicists to change their PhD topic. This can happen for a variety of reasons, such as a change in research interests or a shift in the availability of resources or funding for a particular topic.

2. How does changing a PhD topic affect the length of the program?

The length of a PhD program can be affected by changing the topic, as it may require additional time to adjust to a new area of research and develop new skills. However, this can also vary depending on the individual and their progress in the program.

3. Will changing a PhD topic affect career opportunities?

In most cases, changing a PhD topic will not significantly impact career opportunities. Employers are often more interested in the skills and knowledge gained during the PhD program rather than the specific topic of research.

4. How should one go about changing their PhD topic?

The process for changing a PhD topic may vary depending on the institution and program. It is important to discuss the potential change with your advisor and department to ensure a smooth transition and to understand any requirements or procedures.

5. Can changing a PhD topic be beneficial?

Yes, changing a PhD topic can be beneficial in many ways. It can allow for a more fulfilling research experience and may open up new opportunities for collaboration and funding. It can also lead to a more well-rounded skill set and a broader understanding of the field.