PhD: UChicago vs UZH: Ranking Impact for Future Prospects

In summary, the person is considering whether to pursue a PhD at University of Chicago or Université Zurich, and has considered the ranking differences between the two universities. They mention that the "topness" of UChicago might be an advantage in the future when looking for a job, but ultimately decide that it is not worth risking a certain opportunity for a maybe. They mention that Zurich is close to CERN and has a great landscape.
dark photon
I was about to start my PhD in physics at UZH (Universität Zürich, not to be confused with ETH Zürich, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology) in April when the Coronavirus lock down trapped me in my country (not Switzerland nor USA) a few days before my plane was supposed to lift of. So now basically I am waiting for airplanes to fly again, go to Zürich and start my PhD. All the paperwork is already done and they are there waiting for me.

The thing is that somehow I have been offered a chance to purse a PhD at UChicago in a mixture with Fermilab. Googling some universities rankings I found that for physics UChicago stands more or less in the top 15 while UZH is in the top 100. So now I have some very specific questions:
  • Is this ranking difference something that matters while doing my PhD? (Having more fund, access to better labs, etc.)
  • Might the "topness" of UChicago be an advantage in the future when looking for job, be that in academy or industry?
I know that answering this questions might be hard, but maybe someone can share some experience... Also, this is not the only point to be considered when choosing a PhD because there are other things like who is the advisor, the topic, the group, the salary, etc. So I would like to focus this topic in this two specific questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
We have a saying here: A sparrow in hand is better than a pigeon on the roof.

What counts in the end is the degree and the number of publications, more than the university. I wouldn't risk a certain opportunity for a maybe. And Zürich is only an hour away from Geneva.

fresh_42 said:
A sparrow anywhere is better than a pigeon!

I don't know Zurich -- I do know University of Chicago and Argonne (I haven't been to Fermilab yet) -- they're great institutions (I admit to being biased).

Thanks for your replies. I worked for 6 months at Fermilab and it was a great experience. I also went once to UChicago and the place is very impressive. I have never been in Zurich before but it is close to CERN and my job is going to be developing hardware for the LHC so it promises to be very nice.

fresh_42 said:
What counts in the end is the degree and the number of publications, more than the university

Okay!

fresh_42 said:

Here we say "mejor pájaro en mano que cien volando".

Likes fresh_42
dark photon said:
I have never been in Zurich before ...
I mean it is not as if we talked about a university somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Switzerland has high standards, so your decision is a bit of a luxury problem. Zürich is very pretty with its great lake, but a bit expensive. The landscape makes up for it.

dark photon said:
Thanks for your replies. I worked for 6 months at Fermilab and it was a great experience. I also went once to UChicago and the place is very impressive. I have never been in Zurich before but it is close to CERN and my job is going to be developing hardware for the LHC so it promises to be very nice.
Okay!

I can see that you are a native Spanish speaker (I used Google Translate above and your statement above comes out as "Better bird in hand than a hundred flying" -- not sure how accurate is the translation).

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes sysprog
dark photon said:
Okay!
Apparently we've improved our bird-catching since Roman Empire days -- Est avis in dextra, melior quam quattuor extra -- (if) a bird is in the right (hand), (that) is better than four (birds) outside (of the hand).

1. What is the difference between UChicago and UZH in terms of their PhD programs?

UChicago and UZH are both highly reputable universities with strong PhD programs. However, UChicago is located in the United States while UZH is located in Switzerland. This difference in location may impact the types of research opportunities and collaborations available to students.

2. Which university has a higher ranking for their PhD programs?

According to the 2021 QS World University Rankings, UChicago is ranked #10 for its PhD programs while UZH is ranked #73. However, rankings should not be the sole factor in choosing a PhD program as other factors such as research interests and faculty mentorship should also be considered.

3. How does the ranking of a university's PhD program impact future career prospects?

The ranking of a university's PhD program can play a role in future career prospects, but it is not the only determining factor. Employers may consider the reputation and prestige of the university, but they also value the skills and experience gained during the PhD program. It is important to choose a program that aligns with your research interests and offers opportunities for professional development.

4. What are the research opportunities like at UChicago and UZH?

Both UChicago and UZH have strong research programs with opportunities for collaboration and funding. UChicago is known for its interdisciplinary approach to research, while UZH has a strong focus on international collaborations. It is important to research the specific departments and faculty at each university to determine which aligns best with your research interests.

5. How do the cultures of UChicago and UZH differ and how might this impact the PhD experience?

The cultures of UChicago and UZH may differ due to their geographical locations and backgrounds. UChicago is known for its rigorous and competitive academic environment, while UZH is known for its more laid-back and collaborative atmosphere. It is important to consider which culture would be the best fit for your personal and academic goals.