What Are the Best PhD Programs in High Energy Theoretical Physics?

In summary, a PhD in theoretical physics is an advanced degree that focuses on studying the fundamental principles and laws of the universe through original research, theory development, and mathematical and computational methods. The requirements for obtaining this degree can vary, but often include coursework, comprehensive exams, and a dissertation. Graduates with a PhD in theoretical physics can pursue careers in academia, research, and various industries. The length of time to complete the degree is typically 4-6 years, and important skills for success include mathematical and analytical abilities, critical thinking, proficiency in coding, and effective communication.
Sil3nt
Hello everyone,

I am a physics master's student in continental europe, and I am starting to look into phd positions in (mostly theoretical) high energy physics. I know this has been discussed quite a few times around here as i browsed a bit around but still, I am wondering which are the best places to apply to in HEP.
Right now I am mostly interested in theoretical particle physics (qft, and maybe strings when i'll know enough to judge...) and cosmology (but I am also open to a more experimental path like particle phenomenology or even astrophysics if the subject is interesting enough)
I think I am a pretty strong candidate, I graduated top5% from my bachelor and have some research experience (cern summer student and an internship in planetary physics the summer before but no publications alas), but the more I read, the more I feel like there will be 100 people just as good applying for any interesting positions...

The places that caught my attention for now are

-Cambridge, DAMTP
-Oxford, Mathematical Institute
but from what i understand it is almost impossible to get into these without doing the part iii in cambridge

-Oxford, Theoretical Physics
it seems to be very competitive but they are doing some pretty cool stuff in the particle theory group.

-ENS Ulm, theoretical physics
very good on the math side from what i understand

-Imperial College, theoretical physics
I don't know too much about the research at imperial. I have heard some not too nice things about the level in math there, but they seem to have a decent group in string & cosmology

-ETH Zurich
they have a pretty good theoretical physics department, and also lots of connections with cern on the experimental side

-Cambridge, Cavendish
not as theoretical but I am also open to particle phenomenology, and they are involved in interesting experiments.

-Oxford, Particle Physics
also not theoretical but they are doing some interesting research on atlas, and on neutrino experiments like SNO. from the website it also seems way less competitive then the theoretical program

-University of Toronto
i did an exchange year in Canada, and from what i understand they have an excellent physics department

I didn't really look into US universities as they all seem to require to take the GRE.
On that topic, how much preparation does it take ? are the scores very important? I'd like to apply to US universities as well but I really won't have time to take more than a week or so to prepare for that this year, and I don't really want to take a gap year on the off chance that i score well enough and get accepted into a better program...

Any comments or suggestions on other research groups ?

Sorry if I'm not too coherent, it's 4 am and way past my bedtime...

Cheers,
Silent

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dear Silent,

First of all, congratulations on your achievements and your interest in pursuing a PhD in theoretical high energy physics. It is a challenging and exciting field, and I am sure you will make a great contribution to it.

In terms of your question about the best places to apply for a PhD in HEP, it is important to keep in mind that there is no one "best" place to apply. Different universities and research groups have their own strengths and areas of focus, so it is important to find a program that aligns with your research interests and goals. That being said, some of the places you have mentioned are indeed well-known for their research in theoretical particle physics and cosmology.

Cambridge and Oxford are both excellent choices, but as you mentioned, they can be very competitive. It is not necessary to do the Part III program at Cambridge to be considered for a PhD, but it certainly helps. Keep in mind that these programs also have a strong focus on mathematics, so if that is an area of interest for you, it may be worth considering.

ENS Ulm is also highly regarded for its theoretical physics program, particularly in the area of mathematical physics. Imperial College and ETH Zurich are also top choices, with strong research groups in theoretical physics and connections to CERN.

In terms of US universities, it is true that many of them require the GRE for international applicants. The amount of preparation needed for the GRE depends on your own strengths and weaknesses, but it is definitely worth putting in some time to familiarize yourself with the format and content of the exam. Many universities also consider other factors, such as your academic record and research experience, so a high GRE score may not be the only determining factor in your application.

In addition to the universities you have mentioned, there are many other excellent research groups around the world that may be of interest to you. I would recommend doing some more research on specific research topics and reaching out to potential supervisors to learn more about their work and opportunities for graduate studies.

Overall, my advice would be to focus on finding a program and research group that aligns with your interests and has a strong track record of producing successful PhD candidates. Don't be discouraged by the competitiveness of some programs, as there are many great opportunities out there. Best of luck in your search and future studies.

1. What is a PhD in theoretical physics?

A PhD in theoretical physics is an advanced degree that focuses on the study of the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of the universe. It involves conducting original research, developing new theories and models, and using mathematical and computational methods to understand complex phenomena.

2. What are the requirements for obtaining a PhD in theoretical physics?

The requirements for obtaining a PhD in theoretical physics vary depending on the university and program, but typically involve completing coursework, passing comprehensive exams, and conducting original research that culminates in a dissertation. Many programs also require students to teach or assist in teaching undergraduate courses.

3. What career opportunities are available with a PhD in theoretical physics?

Graduates with a PhD in theoretical physics can pursue careers in academia, research institutions, government agencies, and the private sector. They may work as professors, researchers, consultants, or in industries such as technology, aerospace, and energy.

4. How long does it take to complete a PhD in theoretical physics?

The length of time it takes to complete a PhD in theoretical physics varies, but it typically takes around 4-6 years. This can depend on factors such as the student's research progress, the complexity of their project, and their enrollment status (full-time or part-time).

5. What skills are important for a successful PhD in theoretical physics?

Some important skills for success in a PhD in theoretical physics include strong mathematical and analytical abilities, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, proficiency in coding and computational methods, and the ability to communicate complex ideas effectively. Perseverance, curiosity, and a passion for discovery are also important qualities for a successful PhD in this field.