Photons emitted by a blackbody

In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the number of photons emitted per second by a 75 Watt light bulb and an 850 Watt microwave with wavelengths of 500nm and 150nm, respectively. The equation M(T)=σT^4 is mentioned, but it is noted that it does not take into account distance. The solution involves using E=hv or E=c/lambda to calculate the energy per photon and then using the given power to determine the number of photons emitted per second. The question of whether the quantum effects are important in these objects is raised, but no definitive answer is given.
DieCommie

Homework Statement

Consider a 75 Watt light bulb and an 850 Watt microwave. If the wavelengths of the radiation they emit are 500nm and 150nm, respectively, estimate teh number of photons they emit per second. Are teh quantum effects important in them?

Homework Equations

?

[tex] M(T) = \sigma T^4 [/tex] Now this gives me the watts per meter^2. But I don't know the meter^2. (This doesn't make sense to me because the watts/meter^2 should be a function of the distance, farther out --> less watts/meter^2, but this function says nothing of distance...)

The Attempt at a Solution

Dont know where to start!

edit- My thoughts are I need to get teh Joules per second emitted from the object. I can then turn this into photons per second using the relationship [tex] E = h\nu [/tex]

Thx for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your second thoughts are correct, you don't need to consider the blackbody (which the microwave isn't). Just use E=hv , or E = c/lambda to get the energy per photon then the power you have been given.
ps I think you have misread the wavelength for the microwave it should probably be a few cm, 150nm is UV.

Yes you are right, the microwave is 150 mm.

Now I have the answers in photons/second. The question "Are the quantum effects important in them?". I have to figure out if the quantized nature of the radiation is significant. hmm... I am thinking its no, but I have no reason for that. I don't see and quantized values in the equations I wrote...

Last edited:

Related to Photons emitted by a blackbody

1. What is a blackbody?

A blackbody is an idealized object that absorbs all incoming electromagnetic radiation and emits it in a continuous spectrum. It is often used as a theoretical model for understanding the behavior of real-life objects.

2. How are photons emitted by a blackbody?

Photons are emitted by a blackbody through a process called thermal radiation. As the blackbody absorbs energy, its temperature increases and it begins to emit photons in a continuous spectrum. The number and energy of photons emitted depend on the temperature of the blackbody.

3. How is the emission of photons related to the temperature of a blackbody?

The temperature of a blackbody is directly proportional to the energy of the photons it emits. This relationship is described by Planck's law, which states that the energy of a photon is equal to Planck's constant times the frequency of the photon, and is also proportional to the temperature of the blackbody.

4. Why is the emission of photons by a blackbody important?

The emission of photons by a blackbody plays a crucial role in many areas of science, including astrophysics, thermal imaging, and quantum mechanics. Understanding the behavior of photons emitted by a blackbody helps us to better understand the properties of light and the behavior of objects at different temperatures.

5. Can the emission of photons by a blackbody be controlled?

The emission of photons by a blackbody is a natural process that cannot be directly controlled. However, by manipulating the temperature and properties of the blackbody, such as its composition and surface properties, we can indirectly affect the emission of photons and study their behavior in different conditions.