Phyphox free cell phone app for sensors

In summary, at the Fall SCAAPT meeting, the conversation discussed a free cell phone app called phyphox that allows users to collect data using their phone's sensors. The conversation also mentioned that phyphox can support bluetooth devices and has impressive example experiments. One person shared their experience using phyphox in their classroom, particularly for sound-related topics, and another person plans to use it more for their sonography class. Additionally, a link to a video showcasing how to use phyphox for physics experiments was shared.
vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
At the Fall SCAAPT meeting, I learned about a free cell phone app, phyphox, which allows users to collect various types of data using their phones' sensors. I downloaded it, but I haven't looked into it very much yet. I just thought I'd mention it since others might find it useful or just fun to mess around with.

Likes gmax137, robphy, anorlunda and 1 other person
Science news on Phys.org
Wow! I've been studying some of the example experiments. Very impressive.

I would not be surprised if we hear about phyphox often in PF's near future.

Edit: A good way to get acquainted is to search "phyphox experiments" on Youtube.

phyphox can support bluetooth devices,
e.g. the PocketLab (although it only supports two of its sensors).
1670510025031.png
1670508631380.png

I did the "salad slug" experiment this semester. First time I ever used that kitchen gadget.
Perhaps this tells you something about my eating habits...

• Haha
Likes anorlunda
I use it innmy classrooms regularly, especially when the topic of sound is treated.

Likes vela and robphy
haushofer said:
I use it innmy classrooms regularly, especially when the topic of sound is treated.
I’m going to start using it more regularly because of the applications with sound. (One of my classes is primarily for sonography students.)

1. What is phyphox?

Phyphox is a free cell phone app that allows you to use the sensors on your phone to collect and analyze data.

2. What types of sensors can phyphox use?

Phyphox can use a variety of sensors including the accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer, light sensor, microphone, and GPS.

3. Can phyphox be used for scientific experiments?

Yes, phyphox can be used for scientific experiments as it allows for accurate data collection and analysis using your phone's sensors.

4. Is phyphox easy to use?

Phyphox has a user-friendly interface and provides step-by-step instructions for setting up and running experiments, making it easy to use for both students and scientists.

5. Is phyphox available on all types of phones?

Phyphox is available for free on both Android and iOS devices, making it accessible to a wide range of users.