How Do You Calculate Maximum Height and Range of a Projectile?

The vertical component of the speed is Voy = (V) sin θ, where V is the initial speed. Using the formula for maximum height, H = Voy^2 / 2g, we can substitute for Voy and get H = (V^2 sin^2 θ) / 2g. This shows that the maximum height reached by the projectile is dependent on the initial speed and the angle of launch. 2) To find the angle of launch for maximum height to equal horizontal range, we can use the formulas x = xo + Vox*t + 1/2at^2 and y = yo + Voy*t + 1/2at^2. Since the initial and final heights are the same, yo =
ArmadylGS
1) A projectile is launched with a speed of vo
at an angle of θo with respect to the horizontal. Derive an equation for the max height it reaches above its starting point in terms of g, θo, vo

I set Vox = vo and Voy = (V) sin θ, I tried everything and have no idea how the answer is H = (vo^2 sin^2 θ) / 2g

2) Calculate the angle of launch for an object so that maximum height of the object is equal to its horizontal range.
I worked with the formulas x = xo + vox*t + 1/2at^2 and y= yo + voy*t + 1/2at^2 and tried to set them equal to each other by solving for t on both sides. I did not know what to do after that.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ArmadylGS said:
1)

I set Vox = vo and Voy = (V) sin θ, I tried everything and have no idea how the answer is H = (vo^2 sin^2 θ) / 2g

Why did you set Vox = vo? vo is the speed of the launched projectile at the angle θ.

What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion and behavior of physical objects under the influence of forces. It is based on Newton's laws of motion and is used to explain the movements of objects on a macroscopic scale.

What are the main principles of classical mechanics?

The main principles of classical mechanics are Newton's laws of motion, which state that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

What is the difference between kinematics and dynamics?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering the forces that cause it, while dynamics is the study of motion and the forces that cause it. In other words, kinematics focuses on the description of motion, while dynamics focuses on the cause of motion.

What is the role of calculus in classical mechanics?

Calculus is essential in classical mechanics as it is used to describe the relationships between position, velocity, and acceleration of an object. It allows us to calculate the exact values of these quantities at any given time and predict the future motion of an object.

What are some real-world applications of classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics has countless real-world applications, including designing structures and machines, analyzing the motion of planets and satellites, predicting the trajectories of projectiles, and understanding the dynamics of fluids and gases. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and meteorology.