Physical interpretation of a plasma (Te, Tv, Tr)

In summary: I think the first statement is saying that the electron temperature governs the gas temperature. The second statement is saying that the temperature of the plasma has an effect on the other temperatures. The third statement is saying that if the temperature of the plasma is increased then there may be more drastic conditions in the plasma.
rwooduk
I'm trying to understand the physical implications of electron temperature (Te), vibrational temperature (Tv), rotational temperature (Tr) and translational temperature (To) of a plasma.

I am reading often that Te > Tv > Tr ≃To, in terms of what is happening inside the plasma what does this statement mean? Is the plasma in equilibrium? How can this be possible?

I am also a little confused why for non-equilibrium plasmas the above now becomes Te > Tv > Tr ≃Tg

Is this suggesting that the electron temperature governs the gas temperature (Tg)? Why is the first one To and here we have Tg?

Final question, I read in a paper that where Te and Tv are increased there will be "more drastic" conditions in the plasma. What does this mean? Does it mean the electrons in the gas have much more energy? Would they be more likely to "escape" the plasma if there was a means for it to do so?

Sorry if my terminology here is incorrect, it's been a while since I looked at plasmas. Thanks for any help with this!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the plasma in contact with anything that is at a lower temperature, such as in a glass tube? The electrons get affected the most by stimuli such as electromagnetic waves and/or electric fields such as in a discharge tube, which has a voltage difference in going from cathode to anode and associated electric fields to sustain it. The heavier ions don't react nearly as quickly and their temperature would be influenced by the walls of the discharge tube. This is probably a rather incomplete answer, but I have only some experience with plasmas and plasma physics. Perhaps others can supply additional insight.

Charles Link said:
Is the plasma in contact with anything that is at a lower temperature, such as in a glass tube? The electrons get affected the most by stimuli such as electromagnetic waves and/or electric fields such as in a discharge tube, which has a voltage and associated electric fields to sustain it. The heavier ions don't react nearly as quickly and their temperature would be influenced by the walls of the discharge tube. This is probably a rather incomplete answer, but I have only some experience with plasmas and plasma physics. Perhaps others can supply additional insight.

Thanks for the reply. The plasma is inside a cavitating bubble, therefore yes it is surrounded by water. It is not subject to EM waves or E fields. I am trying to understand how a change in each of the "temperatures" would effect the nature of the plasma.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between electron temperature (Te), ion temperature (Tv), and neutral temperature (Tr) in a plasma?

Electron temperature (Te) refers to the average kinetic energy of the free electrons in a plasma, while ion temperature (Tv) refers to the average kinetic energy of the ions. Neutral temperature (Tr) refers to the average kinetic energy of the neutral particles present in the plasma. In general, Te is higher than Tv, and both are higher than Tr due to the higher mobility and lower mass of electrons compared to ions and neutral particles.

2. How are Te, Tv, and Tr measured in a plasma?

Te and Tv can be measured using various diagnostic techniques such as Langmuir probes, Thomson scattering, or laser-induced fluorescence. Tr can be measured using spectroscopic methods that analyze the emission or absorption of neutral particles in the plasma.

3. How do changes in Te, Tv, and Tr affect the behavior of a plasma?

Changes in Te, Tv, and Tr can significantly impact the properties of a plasma, such as its density, conductivity, and stability. For example, an increase in Te can lead to a decrease in plasma density, while an increase in Tv can lead to a decrease in plasma conductivity.

4. What is the relationship between Te, Tv, and Tr in a plasma?

In a plasma, Te and Tv are typically in thermal equilibrium, meaning they have the same temperature. However, Tr may be different from Te and Tv due to the slower energy exchange between neutral particles and charged particles in the plasma.

5. How do external factors, such as magnetic fields, affect the interpretation of Te, Tv, and Tr in a plasma?

External factors, such as magnetic fields, can have a significant impact on the interpretation of Te, Tv, and Tr in a plasma. Magnetic fields can affect the motion and behavior of charged particles, leading to changes in their temperature and ultimately affecting the overall behavior of the plasma.