Physics 101 - Exam 1 - How should I start to review?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prepare for an upcoming algebra-based physics exam. Suggestions include asking the instructor for guidance, practicing solving problems, and looking at previous exams for reference. The importance of completing and understanding assigned homework is emphasized.
Turkishking
Hi Guys,

I will have my first exam for algebra based physics October 7. How should I start to review? The questions in the book are simple in my opinion? What do guys suggest?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have the material down, then do some more problems, eat well, sleep well. Good luck!

Turkishking said:
Hi Guys,

I will have my first exam for algebra based physics October 7. How should I start to review? The questions in the book are simple in my opinion? What do guys suggest?

I suggest you ask this question to your instructor.

Zz.

Are there different books I can look at?

hi , I am a graduate of boğaziçi university from turkey.
if you find the questions of previous years exams of phys 101 course, that will be very helpful. I did it and I got BA. :smile:

Turkishking said:
Hi Guys,

Usually the best guidance is from the course instructor. If the exam is expected to have a lot of problems to solve, then practice solving a lot of problems. Students from past semesters might tell you whether this instructor tends to ask problems of similar content and difficulty to the homework that was assigned, or if she seems to throw curve balls - problems significantly different or harder than the assigned homework.

When I teach intro courses, my goal is to reward students who have been diligent in both completing and understanding the assigned homework. My exams were 100% problem solving. While I did not ask questions EXACTLY like homework problems, it was easy for students to see how each problem on my exams was well represented in the assigned homework. On the other hand, students who were less than diligent on the assigned homework often found my exams difficult and perhaps punitive. Mission accomplished!

Real learning happens when doing the homework and preparing for the graded events. A well constructed exam rewards real learning and shows students where they need to improve. It is often hard to see how an instructor is thinking about it before the first exam, but your best bets are: 1) Ask the instructor 2) Look at exams from past semesters (if available) 3) Ask former students. The goal of looking at exams from past semesters IS NOT the expectation that the same problems may be asked, but to determine how closely the prof tends to follow the content and level of difficulty of the assigned homework.

Last edited:
Likes donpacino

1. What topics should I focus on when reviewing for Physics 101 Exam 1?

When reviewing for Exam 1, it is important to focus on the basics of mechanics, such as kinematics, forces, and energy. You should also review the fundamental laws and principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy.

2. How should I organize my review for Exam 1?

It is recommended to start by reviewing your class notes and textbook, paying attention to key concepts, formulas, and problem-solving strategies. You can also create study guides or flashcards to help you review and practice solving problems.

3. Are there any online resources that can help me review for Exam 1?

Yes, there are many online resources available to help you review for Exam 1. Some helpful resources include practice problems and quizzes, lecture notes and videos, and virtual simulations and demonstrations.

4. What should I do if I am struggling to understand a particular topic?

If you are struggling with a specific topic, it is important to seek help as soon as possible. You can reach out to your professor or teaching assistant for clarification, attend review sessions or study groups, or utilize online resources for extra practice and explanations.

5. How can I best prepare for the format of Exam 1?

To prepare for the format of Exam 1, it is helpful to practice solving problems similar to those that will be on the exam. This will help you become familiar with the types of questions and the time constraints. It is also important to get a good night's rest before the exam and to arrive early to ensure you have enough time to complete the exam.