Physics and Philosophy are intertwined....

In summary, this thread is about philosophy and physics and how they are related. However, because there is too much philosophy and not enough physics, this thread is not appropriate for the PhysicsFourms forum.
Johnny Yuma
TL;DR Summary
An article in weekend WSJ on page C9 went into this via a book review of "The Dream Universe" by David Lindley. Book mentions "universal expansion at an accelerating rate"....Hermann Weyl and Paul Dirac.....Higgs bosun......The Theory of Everything, etc., etc.
I know zilch about both of the above. But I thought maybe this could be discussed a bit...and I could learn something. (Me, who got thru high school with a C- average and no college). About a year ago I submitted a question similar to this... and the moderator shot it down as not germane to physics. This might get shot down also, but I am 80 y/o and content with ...restin' and digestin' and reading the bad jokes thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, what were you wanting to discuss? The book "The Dream Universe"? Or the two topics mentioned? Or how philosophy and physics are related?

I wanted to know how, or if, philosophy and physics are related. I kinda think they are.

Johnny Yuma said:
I wanted to know how, or if, philosophy and physics are related. I kinda think they are.
University of Oxford seems to so.
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/physics-and-philosophy said:
Physics and Philosophy are historically intertwined and each continues to contribute to developments in the other. Philosophy played a crucial role in the two revolutions of 20th-century physics – namely, relativity and quantum mechanics – and continues to contribute both to foundational research in theoretical physics and to the articulation and critique of scientific method. Conversely, discoveries in physics provide profound implications for philosophical inquiry, such as the nature of space and time and the behaviour of matter at the quantum realm. Students on this course can expect to investigate not only central developments in both subjects, but also this interplay.

My knowledge of this area is very limited, but I believe they are certainly related. Physics, and science as a whole, has its origins as a branch of philosophy, and the philosophy of science is still an active area. I'm sure others here have far more knowledge about this topic than I, so I'll leave this thread to them.

Some physicists consider philosophical questions, and some philosophers consider physics questions, and all of the empirical sciences share certain philosophical underpinnings... so yes, the two are related.

However, we lack the capacity to effectively moderate discussions of philosophy, and there is plenty of physics to cover without delving into philosophy, so we generally do not allow these discussions. (The only exception is the "Quantum Interpretations and Foundations" subforum, where it is sometimes impossible to disentangle philosophy and interpretation - but QM is unique in this respect).

So we're sorry but this thread is out of scope for PhysicsFourms and it is closed.

• Sad
Likes Bystander, Motore, Dale and 1 other person

What is the relationship between physics and philosophy?

The relationship between physics and philosophy is complex and multifaceted. On one hand, physics is a branch of science that seeks to understand the natural world through empirical observation and mathematical models. On the other hand, philosophy is a discipline that explores fundamental questions about existence, knowledge, and reality. While physics focuses on understanding the physical world, philosophy delves into the underlying principles and assumptions that govern our understanding of the world.

How have physics and philosophy influenced each other?

Physics and philosophy have a long history of influencing each other. For example, the ancient Greek philosopher Aristotle's ideas about motion and causation heavily influenced the development of physics in the Middle Ages. In turn, the scientific revolution of the 17th century, led by figures such as Isaac Newton and Galileo Galilei, had a profound impact on philosophical thought, particularly in the areas of epistemology and metaphysics. Today, physics and philosophy continue to inform and challenge each other in areas such as quantum mechanics, cosmology, and the nature of reality.

What are some key philosophical concepts that have shaped physics?

Some key philosophical concepts that have shaped physics include determinism, reductionism, and materialism. Determinism is the belief that all events in the universe are ultimately determined by prior causes, which has influenced the development of classical mechanics. Reductionism is the idea that complex phenomena can be explained by breaking them down into simpler components, which has been a guiding principle in fields such as particle physics. Materialism is the philosophical position that everything in the universe is ultimately made up of physical matter, which has had a significant impact on the development of modern physics.

How has the study of physics influenced philosophical thought?

The study of physics has had a profound influence on philosophical thought in several ways. First, it has challenged traditional philosophical ideas about the nature of reality, causation, and the relationship between mind and matter. For example, the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics have called into question our understanding of space, time, and causation. Second, the success of physics in explaining and predicting natural phenomena has led to a more empirically-driven approach to philosophical inquiry. Finally, the study of physics has inspired new philosophical questions and debates, such as the nature of consciousness and the possibility of multiple universes.

How can an understanding of both physics and philosophy benefit society?

An understanding of both physics and philosophy can benefit society in numerous ways. First, it can lead to a deeper understanding of the natural world and our place within it, helping us to make more informed decisions about issues such as climate change and technological advancements. Second, it can foster critical thinking skills and promote a more nuanced understanding of complex issues. Finally, it can inspire new ideas and innovations that have the potential to improve our lives and address global challenges.