Physics applications in cancer research/treatment

In summary, there are a lot of different branches of physics that have applications to cancer therapy, with medical physics being the most immediate branch. Some examples of research in this field include breath analysis for early cancer detection, modeling of disease progression and response, and nano-material research. Other branches such as drug delivery kinetics and techniques for targeting cancer cells are also being explored.
Matthew Slater
I am a third year undergraduate physics major. Often time people ask what I want to do with physics, and I didn't really have an answer for them. I guess I always assumed I'd pursue a masters degree in some kind of engineering, but I want to be able to do something that I'm passionate about. Something that has impacted my life tremendously has been cancer, and I would like to eventually work on developing better treatment methods for the disease.
What fields of physics would I need to get into in order to work on developing either treatment methods or machinery used in treatment? Could you also provide some examples in which physics research is being used in medical treatments? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You may want to look into medical physics.

There are a lot of different branches of physics that have applications to cancer therapy. Medical physics is the most immediate branch. About 80% of medical physicists are involved in radiation oncology and the majority of those play a direct clinical role - supporting day-to-day clinical operations, commissioning new equipment, developing new procedures, planning treatments, running QA programs, etc. The other 20% or so work in diagnostic imaging, MRI, nuclear medicine, radiation protection or some combination. Examples of some interesting research going on right now in the field can be found here: PMB Highlights 2014.

Advances in cancer diagnosis and treatment can also from other branches of physics (the border of where medical physics stops and other branches begin is very fuzzy - particularly once you step outside of the clinical profession) . Some examples that come to mind include:
  • breath analysis using laser spectroscopic techniques for early cancer detection
  • modeling of disease progression and response
  • modeling the kinetics of drug delivery
  • nano-material research
  • techniques for http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/magazine/physicstoday/article/67/2/10.1063/PT.3.2275
  • all the work coming out of the NCI's http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/magazine/physicstoday/article/67/11/10.1063/PT.3.2578

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How is physics used in cancer treatment?

Physics is used in cancer treatment in several ways. One of the main applications is the use of radiation therapy, in which high-energy particles are directed at cancer cells to kill them or prevent them from growing. This requires precise targeting and delivery of the radiation, which involves using imaging techniques such as CT scans and MRI to map the tumor and surrounding tissues. Additionally, physics is used in the development and testing of new cancer treatment technologies, such as proton therapy and photodynamic therapy.

2. What is the role of imaging in cancer research and treatment?

Imaging plays a crucial role in both cancer research and treatment. It allows doctors to detect and diagnose tumors, monitor their growth and response to treatment, and plan and guide treatment procedures. Different types of imaging techniques, such as X-rays, ultrasound, and MRI, use various physical principles to produce images of the body's internal structures, including tumors. These images are essential for accurate cancer diagnosis and treatment planning.

3. How does physics contribute to the development of new cancer treatment methods?

Physics plays a crucial role in the development of new cancer treatment methods. Scientists and engineers use principles of physics, such as radiation physics, acoustics, and optics, to develop and test innovative cancer treatment technologies. For example, physicists have developed new methods for delivering radiation to tumors more precisely and with fewer side effects. They have also developed new imaging techniques for detecting and monitoring tumors, such as photoacoustic imaging.

4. What are some challenges in using physics for cancer treatment?

One of the main challenges in using physics for cancer treatment is the need for precise targeting of the tumor while minimizing damage to healthy tissues. This requires advanced imaging techniques and treatment delivery methods, as well as accurate modeling and simulation of the physical processes involved. Additionally, the development and testing of new cancer treatment technologies can be time-consuming and expensive, requiring collaboration between physicists, engineers, and medical professionals.

5. How can physics help improve cancer treatment outcomes?

Physics can help improve cancer treatment outcomes in several ways. By developing more precise and targeted treatment methods, physicists can help reduce the side effects of cancer treatment and improve patient outcomes. Additionally, physics can contribute to the development of new imaging techniques that can detect tumors at an earlier stage, allowing for more effective treatment. Furthermore, ongoing research in physics and cancer treatment can lead to the discovery of new treatment methods and strategies that can improve overall survival rates for cancer patients.