Physics books beyond gr 12 physics

In summary, the conversation revolved around the individual's interest in physics and their desire to explore it further. They asked for book recommendations and were suggested "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, which is commonly used in introductory physics courses. They also inquired about which version of the book to get and were given suggestions for other physics topics to explore, such as Quantum Mechanics and Classical Mechanics.
Anele
Hi everyone!

I really like physics from what I've seen so far, and I'd love to try some on my own to see if it's something I'm interested in possibly pursuing. I am planning on going into computer science, but this is something that I feel I should try.

Are there any books that would be good representations of more "real" physics, in my attempt to see if this is something I truly like, for someone who has done grade 12 university physics (In Canada)?

Thank you!

Anele

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you! Looks great!

Should I be getting the "Extended Edition" or the "Chapters 1-20" version of the above book by Halliday and Resnick?
Thanks!

Well the next level of physics would be something like Quantum Mechanics or Classical Mechanics. You could watch some online courses from MIT to get an idea or you could read Prof Susskind's recent books from the Theoretical Minimum series on Quantum Mechanics and Classical Mechanics. They would require you to be familiar with Calculus at least but would introduce you to the least action principle and other cool things.

Likes Anele

Related to Physics books beyond gr 12 physics

1. What topics are typically covered in physics books beyond grade 12 physics?

Physics books beyond grade 12 typically cover advanced topics such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, relativity, and particle physics.

2. Are these books suitable for self-study or do they require a background in higher-level mathematics?

It is recommended to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus, before attempting to self-study physics books beyond grade 12. These books often use mathematical concepts and equations to explain complex physical phenomena.

3. Will these books prepare me for a career in physics or engineering?

Yes, studying physics beyond grade 12 can provide a solid foundation for pursuing a career in physics or engineering. These books cover advanced topics that are essential for understanding and conducting research in these fields.

4. Can I find these books in my local library or do I need to purchase them?

It may be possible to find some physics books beyond grade 12 in your local library, but it is more likely that you will need to purchase them. These books are often used as textbooks in university-level courses and may not be readily available in public libraries.

5. Are there any online resources or study guides that can supplement these physics books?

Yes, there are many online resources and study guides available to supplement physics books beyond grade 12. These can include lecture notes, practice problems, and video tutorials. It is always helpful to use multiple resources when studying advanced topics in physics.