Physics Car Assignment : rubber band car

In summary, the conversation is about a physics project involving creating a car that accelerates the fastest for a distance of 3.0m. The car is powered by rubber bands attached to the axles and calculations must be made to determine the thrust, normal force, coefficient of friction, force of friction, and power. The formulas F=ma, P=E/t, Ek=1/2mv2, and Ff=coefficient of friction X the normal force are mentioned. It is suggested to calculate the mass, acceleration, velocity, and energy of the car first before using those values to find the other variables.
gr11physics
1. i have a physics project where we have to make a car that accelerates the fastest during 3.0 m. it also must be accelerating for the whole 3.0m. I am using a simple rubber band car where the rubber bands are attached to both axels and are wound up. i have to make a bunch of calculations but the only ones i cannot seem to figure out are; the thrust (applied force), normal force, coefficient of friction, force of friction, and the power. how should i go about finding these ?

2. F=ma
P=E/t
Ek=1/2mv2
Ff=coefficient of friction X the normal force

3. can't attempt solution as i don't understand the above

Physics news on Phys.org
. You need to calculate the mass, acceleration, velocity, and energy of your car. Then you can use these values to calculate the thrust, normal force, coefficient of friction, force of friction, and power.

Related to Physics Car Assignment : rubber band car

1) What is a rubber band car?

A rubber band car is a small vehicle powered by the energy of a stretched rubber band. It is a popular physics assignment for students to explore concepts of potential and kinetic energy, as well as motion and friction.

2) How does a rubber band car work?

A rubber band car works by converting the potential energy stored in the stretched rubber band into kinetic energy to move the car. When the rubber band is released, it contracts and pulls the axle, causing the wheels to rotate and propel the car forward.

3) What materials are needed to make a rubber band car?

The materials needed to make a rubber band car may vary, but generally include a wooden base, a rubber band, four wheels, and an axle. Other materials such as straws, popsicle sticks, and rubber bands can also be used to create a more complex design.

4) How can I improve the performance of my rubber band car?

To improve the performance of a rubber band car, you can experiment with different materials, such as using a longer or thicker rubber band, or reducing friction by using smooth wheels or adding lubricant to the axles. You can also adjust the design and weight distribution of the car to achieve better balance and stability.

5) What physics concepts are involved in a rubber band car?

A rubber band car involves several physics concepts, such as potential and kinetic energy, motion, friction, and forces. It also allows for hands-on exploration of concepts such as elasticity, energy transfer, and mechanical advantage.