Physics: Decreasing Speed Parabola Equation

In summary, the initial position is the value of x when t=0, the initial velocity is 2a (where a is the coefficient of the t term), and the acceleration is 2a (where a is the coefficient of the t2 term). These quantities are used in the given equation to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration at any time t.
kalcorn
Homework Statement
• What is the equation of this motion?

• According to the equation, what was the car’s…

i. initial position (= constant term)

ii. initial velocity (= t coefficient)

iii. acceleration (= double the t2 coefficient)
Relevant Equations
X=A*T^2+BT+C
Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 3.01.42 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
kalcorn said:
i. initial position (= constant term)
ii. initial velocity (= t coefficient)
iii. acceleration (= double the t2 coefficient)

Right, but do you know why those quantities are those parts of the equation you stated? If ##x = At^2 + Bt + C##, then can you see how you find ##x(0)##, ##\frac{dx}{dt}(0)## and ##\frac{d^2 x}{dt^2}(0)##?

It should be easy enough to read the actual coefficients off of the little auto-fit box

I am seriously lost I never took physics or calculus in high school and this is my first college course regrading either.

kalcorn said:
I am seriously lost I never took physics or calculus in high school and this is my first college course regrading either.

That's okay. What do you know about how velocity and acceleration are defined in terms of rates of change?

I don't, I guess my big question overall is what is "t" like is it an actual number I need to plug into the equation or is it just a variable?

It's a parameter, if you choose any number for ##t## (so long as the time of the measurement is actually defined), and plug it into the equation, you will get out the position at that time.

Have you covered some calculus?

No, The highest level of math I ever had was algebra 2 and geometry.

In that case, it's going to be hard to convince you of why the things you put in the brackets are true. So I think you just need to take them as true, for now at least.

Ignoring the uncertainties for the moment, can you see what those three quantities are if the relation is $$x = -14.19t^2 +79.75 t+0.1982$$

Likes PhDeezNutz
Thats what I kinda thought was the equation I didn't put the negative or the t^2. It just looks very different from the "example" equations given in our powerpoint.

etotheipi said:
hard to convince you of why the things you put in the brackets are true
Not sure if you are reading it differently, but it looks to me that the descriptions in parentheses were provided as hints in the question, not added by @kalcorn. If so, there is no evidence of any work by the OP.

@kalcorn , am I right about that? Do you understand what is meant by a coefficient? If I write an equation like y=ax+b, can you identify the coefficient of x?

Likes kalcorn
haruspex said:
Not sure if you are reading it differently, but it looks to me that the descriptions in parentheses were provided as hints in the question, not added by @kalcorn. If so, there is no evidence of any work by the OP.

@kalcorn , am I right about that? Do you understand what is meant by a coefficient? If I write an equation like y=ax+b, can you identify the coefficient of x?
You’re correct those were given by the professor. I do not know what a coefficient is but I would guess a since it’s attached? Math and science are not my strengths. I’m going to school to be a severe interventions special education teacher and this just happens to be a required class, that I have no background knowledge in. Also the class is online with no lecture so I’m teaching myself due to covid.

kalcorn said:
You’re correct those were given by the professor. I do not know what a coefficient is but I would guess a since it’s attached? Math and science are not my strengths. I’m going to school to be a severe interventions special education teacher and this just happens to be a required class, that I have no background knowledge in. Also the class is online with no lecture so I’m teaching myself due to covid.
I did make the graph myself with a given video on loggerpro.

kalcorn said:
I do not know what a coefficient is but I would guess a since it’s attached?
Yes, it's the constant multiplier in the term.
The equation ##y=ax^2+bx+c## has three 'terms' on the RHS. If x is the independent variable and y the dependent variable (i.e. its value changes when x changes), and a, b and c are constants, we say that a is the coefficient in the quadratic (i.e. x2) term and b is the coefficient in the linear term.

In your equation x is the dependent variable and t the independent variable.
By convention, we start time at t=0, so the initial position is the value of x when t=0.
We can get the velocity (rate of change of position) at any instant by differentiating the equation with respect to t. The rules of differentiation give ##v=2at+b##. The initial velocity is the value of v when t=0.
To get the acceleration (rate of change of velocity) we differentiate again to get ##accn=2a##.

Likes kalcorn
haruspex said:
Yes, it's the constant multiplier in the term.
The equation ##y=ax^2+bx+c## has three 'terms' on the RHS. If x is the independent variable and y the dependent variable (i.e. its value changes when x changes), and a, b and c are constants, we say that a is the coefficient in the quadratic (i.e. x2) term and b is the coefficient in the linear term.

In your equation x is the dependent variable and t the independent variable.
By convention, we start time at t=0, so the initial position is the value of x when t=0.
We can get the velocity (rate of change of position) at any instant by differentiating the equation with respect to t. The rules of differentiation give ##v=2at+b##. The initial velocity is the value of v when t=0.
To get the acceleration (rate of change of velocity) we differentiate again to get ##accn=2a##.
Thank you. I do understand that a bit better now!

What is the equation for a decreasing speed parabola in physics?

The equation for a decreasing speed parabola in physics is y = -ax^2 + bx + c, where a is the coefficient of the squared term, b is the coefficient of the linear term, and c is the y-intercept.

What does the coefficient a represent in the equation for a decreasing speed parabola?

The coefficient a represents the rate at which the speed is decreasing. A larger value for a indicates a faster decrease in speed.

How does the coefficient b affect the shape of a decreasing speed parabola?

The coefficient b affects the direction and steepness of the parabola. A positive value for b will result in a parabola opening to the right, while a negative value for b will result in a parabola opening to the left. The absolute value of b also determines the steepness of the parabola.

What does the y-intercept represent in a decreasing speed parabola?

The y-intercept represents the initial speed of the object at the start of the parabola. In other words, it is the speed at which the object is moving when x = 0.

How can the equation for a decreasing speed parabola be used to solve real-world problems?

The equation can be used to model the motion of objects with decreasing speeds, such as a ball rolling up a hill and then slowing down as it reaches the top. By plugging in different values for the coefficients, the equation can also be used to analyze and predict the behavior of various systems in physics, such as projectiles and pendulums.