Why are v and a decreasing as the oribit radius increases?

In summary: I don't think there is one included in this problem.Solving the problem requires the... equation for centripetal acceleration.
simphys
Homework Statement
The planets Venus, Earth, and Mars all move in approximately
circular orbits around the sun. Use the data in the table to find (a) the
speed of each planet in its orbit and (b) the centripetal acceleration of each
planet. (c) As the size of a planet’s orbit increases, does the speed increase
or decrease? Does the centripetal acceleration increase or decrease?

Planet Orbital radius (m): Venus 1.08 * 1011 Orbital period (days): 225
Planet Orbital radius (m): Earth 1.50 * 1011 Orbital period (days): 365
Planet Orbital radius (m): Mars 2.28 * 1011 Orbital period (days): 687
Relevant Equations
a = v^2 / R
I don't understand part (c) the answer is decreasing for both. I would have it decreasing for the centripetal acceleration and then increasing for the velocity, why is that not correct?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have been given ##R## and ##T## so you can calculate v -- if you have the right relevant equation (not ##a = v^2 / R##). You see the ##v## are decreasing with ##R##.
simphys said:
I would have it decreasing for the centripetal acceleration and then increasing for the velocity, why is that not correct?
Well, perhaps you have the wrong relevant equation ? What does ##a## have to do with anything ?

##\ ##

Likes simphys
BvU said:
You have been given ##R## and ##T## so you can calculate v -- if you have the right relevant equation (not ##a = v^2 / R##). You see the ##v## are decreasing with ##R##.

Well, perhaps you have the wrong relevant equation ? What does ##a## have to do with anything ?

##\ ##
not the right one?? So are we talking Kepler's law that or something like that??

That is strange.. this chapter is about 2d-3d motion, I don't know orbital motions yet.

simphys said:
Homework Statement:: The planets Venus, Earth, and Mars all move in approximately
circular orbits around the sun. Use the data in the table to find (a) the
speed of each planet in its orbit and (b) the centripetal acceleration of each
planet. (c) As the size of a planet’s orbit increases, does the speed increase
or decrease? Does the centripetal acceleration increase or decrease?

Planet Orbital radius (m): Venus 1.08 * 1011 Orbital period (days): 225
Planet Orbital radius (m): Earth 1.50 * 1011 Orbital period (days): 365
Planet Orbital radius (m): Mars 2.28 * 1011 Orbital period (days): 687
Relevant Equations:: a = v^2 / R

I don't understand part (c) the answer is decreasing for both. I would have it decreasing for the centripetal acceleration and then increasing for the velocity, why is that not correct?

Thanks in advance!
The planets are held in orbit by the Sun's gravity, which obeys an inverse square law. Everything follows from that.

Likes simphys
For a circular orbit, the ##a## is constant and provided by the force of gravity -- for which you can think up a relevant equation of the form ##a=\ldots \ ##.

The two ##a## drop out and there remains something of the form ##v\propto \ldots \ ##.

##\ ##

Likes simphys
BvU said:
For a circular orbit, the ##a## is constant and provided by the force of gravity -- for which you can think up a relevant equation of the form ##a=\ldots \ ##.

The two ##a## drop out and there remains something of the form ##v\propto \ldots \ ##.

##\ ##
PeroK said:
The planets are held in orbit by the Sun's gravity, which obeys an inverse square law. Everything follows from that.
is this law a = 1/d^2 by any chance, if not it is okay. if so it'd be decreasing.

BvU said:
Well, perhaps you have the wrong relevant equation ? What does a have to do with anything ?
I disagree. It is the only relevant equation to compute acceleration from the given data apart from the equation for finding the velocity. That this is caused by Newton’s law of gravitation is a separate issue.

Likes BvU
simphys said:
is this law a = 1/d^2 by any chance, if not it is okay. if so it'd be decreasing.
The gravitational force decreases with distance, hence so must the centripetal acceleration. It would be better if you equated these formulas to obtain expressions for ##a## and ##v##.

PeroK said:
The gravitational force decreases with distance, hence so must the centripetal acceleration. It would be better if you equated these formulas to obtain expressions for ##a## and ##v##.
Again, I do not believe that that is the purpose of this assignment. The assignment gives radius and orbital period and together with the kinematics of circular motion this is sufficient. The reference to gravity as the centripetal force is superfluous. In fact, the given data leads us to conclude the inverse square law for gravitational acceleration rather than assuming it as input.

Likes PeroK
Orodruin said:
Again, I do not believe that that is the purpose of this assignment. The assignment gives radius and orbital period and together with the kinematics of circular motion this is sufficient. The reference to gravity as the centripetal force is superfluous. In fact, the given data leads us to conclude the inverse square law for gravitational acceleration rather than assuming it as input.
You're right. I didn't read the question!

I downplayed ##a## and at the same time put ##a=a## at center stage. Appears inconsistent, so oro objected. I meant to steer away from the value to the two proportionalities, one as1/r, the other as 1/r^2.

BvU said:
I downplayed ##a## and at the same time put ##a=a## at center stage. Appears inconsistent, so oro objected. I meant to steer away from the value to the two proportionalities, one as1/r, the other as 1/r^2.
Solving the problem requires the relationship between the radius and circumference of a circle. The importance of elementary geometry! :smile:

PeroK said:
Solving the problem requires the relationship between the radius and circumference of a circle. The importance of elementary geometry! :smile:
Technically, for (c), you just need to know that there is a linear relationship 😉

Orodruin said:
Technically, for (c), you just need to know that there is a linear relationship 😉
That's what I meant! :smile:

PeroK said:
That's what I meant! :smile:
Orodruin said:
yeah, yeah of course guys, but.. a = 4pi^2R / T^2 gives us an increase no decrease? That's what I don't get

simphys said:
yeah, yeah of course guys, but.. a = 4pi^2R / T^2 gives us an increase no decrease? That's what I don't get
I think you are just supposed to calculate and compare six numbers (in whatever units you prefer): centripetal acceleration of Venus, Earth and Mars; and, orbital speed of Venus, Earth and Mars.

Likes simphys
PeroK said:
I think you are just supposed to calculate and compare six numbers (in whatever units you prefer): centripetal acceleration of Venus, Earth and Mars; and, orbital speed of Venus, Earth and Mars.
What do you mean?
It's about part c right? where there needs to be answered with increase/decrease of centripetal acceleration and velocity as the radius is increasing

simphys said:
No, it does not because T and R are not independent. You need to actually compute the velocity and acceleration and see what comes out.

Orodruin said:
No, it does not because T and R are not independent. You need to actually compute the velocity and acceleration and see what comes out.
Got it, thanks guys!

1. Why do v and a decrease as the orbit radius increases?

As the orbit radius increases, the distance between the object and the center of rotation also increases. This results in a decrease in the gravitational force acting on the object, causing it to slow down and decrease in velocity (v). Additionally, the acceleration (a) of the object is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the object and the center of rotation. Therefore, as the orbit radius increases, the acceleration decreases.

2. How does the decrease in v and a affect the orbit of an object?

The decrease in v and a causes the object to move at a slower speed and with less acceleration, resulting in a larger orbit. This means that the object will take longer to complete one full revolution around the center of rotation.

3. Is it possible for v and a to increase as the orbit radius increases?

No, it is not possible for v and a to increase as the orbit radius increases. This is because the force of gravity decreases with distance, causing the object to slow down and decrease in acceleration.

4. How does the mass of the object affect the decrease in v and a as the orbit radius increases?

The mass of the object does not directly affect the decrease in v and a as the orbit radius increases. However, a larger mass will result in a stronger gravitational force, which can cause the object to have a higher initial velocity and acceleration.

5. Can the decrease in v and a be observed in all types of orbits?

Yes, the decrease in v and a can be observed in all types of orbits, including circular, elliptical, and parabolic. This is because the force of gravity and the inverse relationship between distance and acceleration apply to all types of orbits.