Physics G.R.E. for top universities in U.S.

In summary, the speaker is currently pursuing their M.Sc in Physics with a specialization in Electronics in India and wishes to pursue a M.S. or Ph.D in Nanotechnology in the U.S. They are interested in top ranking universities such as Stanford, Caltech, and Harvard and plan to gain research experience as a project assistant for one year. They are unsure if they should take the Physics GRE, General GRE, and TOEFL exams for their application and are wondering if they should go directly for a Ph.D or through a M.S. program. They also inquire about the average scores required for these exams and if anyone in the group has contacts with professors in these universities. The conversation also mentions that international students may have higher standards for the
saiarun
I am saiarun doing my M.Sc(physics)specialization in Electronics in India.
I wish to pursue M.S. or Ph.D in Nanotechnology in U.S. . I wish to get into any of the top ranking universities in U.S. like stanford,caltech ,harvard etc. I will be working as project assisstant for next one year in IISc, bangalore,India to gain research experience. My question is should I write a)physics subject G.R.E for getting into M.S./Ph.D along with b)General G.R.E and c)TOEFL. With my academic background of M.Sc and one year of research experience should I go directly for Ph.D. or should i go through M.S.course. What is the average score required in the above mentioned three exams, for getting into those prestigious university. Do any of the members in the group have contact with professors in those universities.

Thanking you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
apparently, the standards for international students are a bit higher than domestic students for the physics gre test, so that probably means that the average is more of a baseline for competitiveness.

the only top-tier school i found with an average figure was caltech: 880 average on the subject test, 600 verbal and 780 quantitative.

i'd imagine that comparable schools would have comparable standards.

yes me too giving gre for nanotechbology i am in eee and will give gre i am thnking of also giving gre in physics so that my marks in 12th r not counted.

As I understand, graduate programs require a higher Physics GRE score for foreign applicants because GPA means different things in different countries, and are based on different standards. Also, since many foreigners grew up in different culture circumstances and speaking a different language, it is expected that they will need a greater understanding of the subject itself to compete with domestic applicants.

I have heard that there are large collaborative efforts in India and China to collect Physics GRE questions, and that people from those two countries tend to study MUCH longer for the test than we in the States do.

As a general rule of thumb, I would think that a foreign student would have to get 50-100 points higher than a similarly qualified domestic student in order to be competitive.

can anybody confirm that gre sub test in physics strengthen ones stand in nano for ms?

What universities offer a master's degree in nanotechnology ?

It would be best to send an email to the graduate secretaries of the depts you are applying to and directly ask them. They will give you an honest answer.

Related to Physics G.R.E. for top universities in U.S.

1. What is the format of the Physics G.R.E. for top universities in the U.S.?

The Physics G.R.E. for top universities in the U.S. is a computer-based test that consists of two main sections: General Physics and Advanced Physics. The General Physics section includes questions on classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermal physics. The Advanced Physics section includes questions on topics such as quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and special relativity.

2. How long is the Physics G.R.E. for top universities in the U.S.?

The Physics G.R.E. for top universities in the U.S. is 3 hours and 40 minutes long. It is divided into two sections with a 10-minute break in between. The General Physics section has 70 minutes for 100 questions, and the Advanced Physics section has 100 minutes for 100 questions.

3. What is the scoring system for the Physics G.R.E. for top universities in the U.S.?

The Physics G.R.E. for top universities in the U.S. is scored on a scale of 130-170, in 1-point increments, for each section. The total score is calculated by adding the scores of the two sections. The average score for test-takers is around 160.

4. Is the Physics G.R.E. required for all top universities in the U.S.?

No, not all top universities in the U.S. require the Physics G.R.E. as part of their graduate program application process. Some universities may accept other standardized tests, while others may not require any standardized test scores at all. It is important to check with each individual university for their specific requirements.

5. Can the Physics G.R.E. be taken multiple times?

Yes, the Physics G.R.E. can be taken multiple times. However, there are specific rules and limitations set by the testing agency, such as a maximum of 5 attempts within a 12-month period. It is important to carefully plan and prepare for each attempt to improve your score.