Physics News: Top Stories from Phys.org | Physics Forums

• Announcement
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a new feature called Physics News on Physics Forums, which lists the top physics stories from phys.org and allows for discussions on the stories. The feature updates every 30 minutes and is located in the top navigation bar. The conversation also mentions that the feature may not be well-known due to the extensive features on the site and that it was temporarily down for maintenance but is now back. Some users express interest in using the feature and have added it to their watchlist.
We are pleased to announce a new feature called Physics News. It's a simple page which lists the top physics stories of the past few days from phys.org. There is also a "discuss" link to generate a thread on PF if you want to comment on the story. The link is up at the top nav bar. The stories update every 30min. Enjoy! Check out what is new every day!

https://www.physicsforums.com/news

Last edited:
Likes QuantumQuest, ISamson, Charles Link and 7 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds good.

OK, now I've killed one unanswered thread. You owe me :smile:

Likes Evo, mfb and Greg Bernhardt
How many people use this feature? Has anyone "discussed" a new story from there?

Likes ISamson
I forgot all about it. Thanks for the reminder. I don't think I've seen any threads using it but I may not have realized where links came from on news stories that have been discussed

phinds said:
I forgot all about it. Thanks for the reminder. I don't think I've seen any threads using it but I may not have realized where links came from on news stories that have been discussed
I suspect this is common. Why though? Does it need to be renamed or moved in the navigation?

Greg Bernhardt said:
I suspect this is common. Why though? Does it need to be renamed or moved in the navigation?
I'm pretty sure the problem is that you have created such a rich site that folks just lose track of all the available features.

I have exactly this problem with my very extensive wood site, where I sometimes have people asking me if I have or could add a particular feature that I DO already have. There's just too much to keep track of and people kind of hone in on a few features that they use a lot and then forget that there are other things available.

Likes Bystander and Greg Bernhardt
I was unaware of it.
Just saw it because it was latest in Feedback and Announcements.

Looks interesting to me.
I have put it on my watchlist and will see how it works out.
Interestingly, I was considering making a post on this one, but from instructables instead.

Looks like the listings go away when they get old or exceed some number.

It's back!

Likes berkeman and ISamson

1. What are the latest breakthroughs in physics research?

The top stories from Phys.org often highlight the latest discoveries and advancements in the field of physics. These may include new theories, experimental results, or technological innovations that have the potential to revolutionize our understanding of the universe.

2. How can I stay updated on physics news?

Phys.org is a great resource for staying informed about the latest physics news. You can also follow reputable scientific journals, attend conferences and seminars, and join online communities of physicists to stay updated on the latest developments in the field.

3. What are some current challenges in the field of physics?

Physics is a constantly evolving field, and there are always new challenges to be tackled. Some current challenges include understanding dark matter and dark energy, developing a unified theory of quantum mechanics and general relativity, and finding ways to harness clean and renewable energy sources.

4. How does physics impact our daily lives?

Physics plays a crucial role in shaping our world and our daily lives. It has given us technologies such as electricity, computers, and smartphones, and has transformed industries such as healthcare, transportation, and communication. It also helps us understand natural phenomena such as weather patterns, gravity, and the behavior of matter.

5. What are some popular misconceptions about physics?

Some common misconceptions about physics include the idea that it is only for geniuses or that it is a boring and difficult subject. In reality, anyone can learn and understand the basic concepts of physics, and it can be a fascinating and rewarding field of study that helps us better understand the world around us.