Physics of Drifting: Friction, Inertia & More

In summary, the conversation is about the physics of drifting and the factors that affect it, such as friction, centripetal force, and inertia. The person is also looking for assistance in finding the frictional force of a vehicle while drifting. They are advised to use a free body diagram and high school physics knowledge to solve the problem. Google has also been suggested as a resource for finding information on drifting.
John Muller
Hello,
I am making a project on the physics of drifting right now. I have searched the internet for a while now and have not found much about drifting. I am wondering how friction, the frictional force, the centripetal force, and how inertia impacts drifting.
I am also wondering if there is some way I could find the frictional force of a vehicle while drifting.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you had high school physics, static, and dynamics behind you, this would be a straightforward problem. Start with a free body diagram (Google is your friend), and post that. Get that correct and complete, then (and only then) start working on the equations.

Likes John Muller
John Muller said:
I have searched the internet for a while now and have not found much about drifting.
When I do a Google search on your thread title, I get lots of useful hits. What search terms have you been using?

http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/webproj...bbott/Brandon_Abbott/images/cars-drifting.jpg
cars-drifting.jpg

Attachments

• cars-drifting.jpg
    cars-drifting.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 648

1. What is the physics behind drifting?

The physics behind drifting involves the principles of friction and inertia. Friction is the force that allows the tires of a car to maintain traction on the road. Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion. When a car drifts, the driver intentionally breaks the traction of the tires by turning the wheels and then uses inertia to control the direction and speed of the car.

2. How does friction affect drifting?

Friction plays a crucial role in drifting. As the driver turns the wheels, friction between the tires and the road decreases, causing the car to slide or drift. The level of friction can be controlled by factors such as the type of tires, road surface, and speed of the car. Too much friction can prevent the car from drifting, while too little can cause the car to spin out of control.

3. What is the role of inertia in drifting?

Inertia is what allows the driver to control the direction and speed of the car while drifting. When the driver turns the wheels and decreases friction, the car's momentum wants to continue moving in a straight line, but the driver uses their skills to control the car's direction and speed by manipulating the car's inertia. The more skilled the driver, the better they can control the car's inertia and perform more precise drifts.

4. How does the weight distribution of a car impact drifting?

The weight distribution of a car can significantly impact its ability to drift. In general, a car with a front-engine and rear-wheel-drive layout is ideal for drifting because it has more weight over the driving wheels. This gives the car more traction to initiate and maintain a drift. However, with enough skill, any car can be drifted, regardless of its weight distribution.

5. Can drifting be dangerous?

As with any motorsport, drifting can be dangerous if not done correctly and with proper safety precautions. Drifting requires a skilled driver, a suitable vehicle, and a controlled environment. Attempting to drift on public roads or without the necessary experience and safety gear can lead to accidents and injuries. It is essential to follow all safety protocols and practice in a controlled setting to reduce the risk of danger while drifting.