Physics of Tires: Calculating Gas Mileage Difference

In summary: Don't tell anyone but I have driven on the road with cement filled tires. (Demolition Derby trick) The...In summary, the author is thinking about ways to calculate gas mileage and wants help from someone. They think they need to know the rotational kinetic energy, while having friction on a road. They think there are a few important things to consider: the change in aerodynamic drag with larger diameter tires, the change in rolling resistance, and the importance of air drag minimization. They think lighter weight is better for wheels and that the rotational kinetic energy is not a very important factor in fuel efficiency.
katteelynnn
This is not a homework problem.

I have been thinking of this for a while now. I am only in physics 2 my professor isn't smart as he thinks he is. I want to figure out how to calculate the gas milage difference from tire size. I would like help to point me in the right direction in order to solve this.
What i think i need to use for this.. I know i am wrong but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
I was thinking we would need to know the rotational kinetic energy, while having friction of being on a road. But how do I find the power base off of kinetic energy?

I think this would be absolutely amazing if I could figure this out.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the final drive ratio between engine and wheels is the biggest factor. The rotational inertia of the wheels is very minor when the weight of the entire vehicle is much greater.

katteelynnn said:
This is not a homework problem.

I have been thinking of this for a while now. I am only in physics 2 my professor isn't smart as he thinks he is. I want to figure out how to calculate the gas milage difference from tire size. I would like help to point me in the right direction in order to solve this.
What i think i need to use for this.. I know i am wrong but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
I was thinking we would need to know the rotational kinetic energy, while having friction of being on a road. But how do I find the power base off of kinetic energy?

I think this would be absolutely amazing if I could figure this out.
Welcome to the PF.

@jerromyjon is probably correct about the moment of inertia differences being a very small component of the gas mileage for cars (at least for small changes in tire diameter and type). There are a couple other things that you should be thinking about:

• The change in aerodynamic drag with larger diameter tires -- this can have a pretty large effect on gas mileage
  • The change in rolling resistance, mainly through any difference in recommended tire pressures
I know from personal experience that a major disadvantage of going to bigger tires on SUVs and trucks is that your air resistance goes up a fair amount (because of the bigger opening under your vehicle for air to pass through. (Well, that and the part where your speedometer is now off -- you have to keep correcting mentally for the difference). :smile:

berkeman said:
I know from personal experience that a major disadvantage of going to bigger tires on SUVs and trucks is that your air resistance goes up a fair amount (because of the bigger opening under your vehicle for air to pass through. (Well, that and the part where your speedometer is now off -- you have to keep correcting mentally for the difference). :smile:
This are good points but the mpg over rough ground could be helped somewhat with big wheels. I have recently started using a Landrover Freelander and a Toyota Hilux, both with large wheels. They glide up and over curbs and bumps that a 14" wheel would baulk at.
I would not be surprised if the Prof was just referring to the effect on the odometer reading. :smile:

sophiecentaur said:
They glide up and over curbs
You drive funny...
sophiecentaur said:
I would not be surprised if the Prof was just referring to the effect on the odometer reading.
That's an excellent point! :smile:

Likes Dale
berkeman said:
You drive funny...
I now drive over curbs because I can! It opens up many more possibilities for parking.

Likes Dale and berkeman
katteelynnn said:

to increase fuel efficiency;
a few things are important
1.wider tire is less aerodynamic but is more than made up with the lesser rolling resistance.
2.The larger of the two wheels of the same weights is less Fuel Efficient because the weight is farther from the center thus using more energy to get going.When it comes to wheels, lighter weight is better.
3.The ultimate win is a lighter, smaller rim and a larger diameter tire.
4. Air drag minimization is more important for fuel efficiency.

drvrm said:
When it comes to wheels, lighter weight is better.
I always thought that was to get a low unsprung weight, to make the suspension better and keep the wheels in contact with the road after hitting a bump on a corner.
I really can't imagine the rotational KE is much of a factor in fuel efficiency.

sophiecentaur said:
I really can't imagine the rotational KE is much of a factor in fuel efficiency.
Don't tell anyone but I have driven on the road with cement filled tires. (Demolition Derby trick) The acceleration that is possible is reduced somewhat by the added weight but the reduced rolling resistance improved fuel economy noticeably. You just can't go very fast because the handling suffers considerably.

Likes berkeman
jerromyjon said:
but the reduced rolling resistance improved fuel economy noticeably.
LMAO! Fuel economy is a pretty major consideration at a Destruction Derby... :biggrin:

berkeman said:
LMAO! Fuel economy is a pretty major consideration at a Destruction Derby... :biggrin:
It was an observation as I was modifying the vehicle for entrance, the first things I had to do was relocate the battery and replace the fuel tank with a smaller interior tank. (for safety)

drvrm said:
1.wider tire is less aerodynamic but is more than made up with the lesser rolling resistance.
4. Air drag minimization is more important for fuel efficiency.
The key factor is rolling resistance. Since the tires are partially enclosed by a car's body, the difference in aerodynamic drag doesn't have as much effect as rolling resistance.

Rolling resistance is related to how much the tire deforms at the contact patch, some of it is radial deformation, some along the tread surface of the tire in the direction of rotation, and some compression / expansion perpendicular to the direction of rotation, sometimes called squirm. A wider or larger diameter tier has less rolling resistance due to radial deformation if the sidewall stiffness is about the same as a narrower tire, but the tread surface deformation factors would remain about the same.

drvrm said:
2.The larger of the two wheels of the same weights is less Fuel Efficient because the weight is farther from the center thus using more energy to get going.When it comes to wheels, lighter weight is better.
Larger radius wheels rotate more slowly for a given vehicle speed. This exactly offsets the increase in moment of inertia due to the increased radius. There is neither advantage nor disadvantage from this factor.

jbriggs444 said:
Larger radius wheels rotate more slowly for a given vehicle speed. This exactly offsets the increase in moment of inertia due to the increased radius.
I meant to say that, but I didn't know how until you said it. :-p

1. What factors affect gas mileage in a vehicle?

The two main factors that affect gas mileage in a vehicle are the weight of the vehicle and the rolling resistance of the tires. The weight of the vehicle determines the amount of energy needed to move it, while the rolling resistance of the tires determines how much energy is required to keep the tires rolling. Other factors that can affect gas mileage include aerodynamics, driving habits, and type of fuel used.

2. How does tire pressure affect gas mileage?

Tire pressure plays a significant role in gas mileage. Underinflated tires have a larger contact patch with the road, which increases rolling resistance and requires more energy to keep the tires moving. This can result in a decrease in gas mileage. On the other hand, overinflated tires have a smaller contact patch, leading to less rolling resistance and potentially improving gas mileage. However, it is important to maintain the recommended tire pressure for optimal performance and safety.

3. Can changing tire tread affect gas mileage?

Yes, changing tire tread can affect gas mileage. Tires with a more aggressive tread pattern may have higher rolling resistance, which can decrease gas mileage. On the other hand, tires with a smoother tread pattern can have lower rolling resistance and potentially improve gas mileage. It is important to find a balance between tread design and gas mileage when choosing tires for a vehicle.

4. How does tire size impact gas mileage?

Tire size can impact gas mileage in several ways. Larger tires have a larger contact patch with the road, resulting in higher rolling resistance and potentially decreasing gas mileage. On the other hand, smaller tires may have less rolling resistance and can improve gas mileage. Additionally, the weight of larger tires can also affect gas mileage, as they may require more energy to move the vehicle.

5. Is there a way to calculate the gas mileage difference when changing tires?

Yes, there is a way to calculate the gas mileage difference when changing tires. This can be done by using a formula that takes into account the weight of the vehicle, rolling resistance of the tires, and other factors such as aerodynamics and driving habits. However, it is also important to consider the overall performance and safety of the vehicle when choosing tires, not just the potential gas mileage difference.