Physics Olympiad question resistance and Electric circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the outcome of joining resistors with resistance R in a circuit where a potential difference of V is applied across AB. The questions address the effects of connecting different points in the circuit, such as C and D, on the current flow and potential difference. Through the use of Ohm's Law and the equation for total resistance in parallel circuits, the conclusion is drawn that connecting C and D will result in no current flow and no change in potential difference, unless the resistor values are known. The direction of the current flow is arbitrary and does not affect the outcome.
Hashiramasenju

Homework Statement

In the fig all resistors have resistance R. If pd of V is applied across AB.
upload_2015-11-12_7-39-12.jpeg

1)What is the outcome of joining C and D
2)Whats is the pd across CO
3)what is the resistance across A and B
4)What is the resistance across AO

Homework Equations

V=IR
1/∑R=1/R1 +1/R2

The Attempt at a Solution

So for
1) i thought that it would cause a short circuit because instead of flowing through the resistors co &od it would directly flow.
2)?
3)?
4)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hashiramasenju said:
1) i thought that it would cause a short circuit because instead of flowing through the resistors co &od it would directly flow.
What would flow from where to where? You are connecting C and D, not E and F.

what is the potential difference between C and D

donpacino said:
what is the potential difference between C and D
zero

So i understand that between C and D no current flows. So there is ans for 2)no change right ?

Hashiramasenju said:
So i understand that between C and D no current flows. So there is ans for 2)no change right ?
yup :)

so is the current direction i marked correct ? and does current flow from o to d or d to o ?

you won't know unless you know the resistor values... the real question, does the current direction you pick matter?

As currents can be negative, you can draw the arrows in any direction you like. One direction will lead to positive current, one to negative current - unless the current is zero of course.
Hashiramasenju said:
Correct. How did you figure that out? A proper description will help with the next part.

1. What is the Physics Olympiad question on resistance and electric circuit?

The Physics Olympiad question on resistance and electric circuit may vary, but it typically involves calculating the resistance of a given circuit or solving for unknown values using Ohm's Law.

2. What is resistance in an electric circuit?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material or component in a circuit impedes the flow of current. It is represented by the symbol R and is measured in Ohms (Ω).

3. How do I calculate the resistance of a circuit?

The resistance of a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). Therefore, the formula for resistance is R = V/I.

4. What is Ohm's Law and how is it used in Physics Olympiad questions?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental law of physics that relates the voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit. It is often used in Physics Olympiad questions to solve for unknown values or to analyze the behavior of electric circuits.

5. How can I prepare for Physics Olympiad questions on resistance and electric circuit?

To prepare for Physics Olympiad questions on resistance and electric circuit, it is important to have a strong understanding of Ohm's Law and how to apply it in different scenarios. Practice solving circuit problems and familiarize yourself with different circuit components and their properties.