Physics-please check answer (multiple choice question)

• Thread starter suzy123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Choice
In summary, the work required to stop a faster object with twice the mass of a slower object will be four times greater compared to the work required to stop the slower object. This is because kinetic energy is proportional to velocity squared, so when velocity doubles, kinetic energy quadruples.
suzy123
Physics--please check answer (multiple choice question)

Homework Statement

Two objects have the same mass. One is traveling twice as fast as the other. The work that must be done to stop the faster object compared to the work required to stop the slower object is:

a)two times greater
b)the same
c)four times greater
d)half as great
e)one quarter as great

Homework Equations

i think that KE=1/2mv^2 can help to understand the question

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the answer would be c although I am not entirely sure. I used an example where the mass would be 2 kg and the speed of one mass is 4 m/s and the other is 8 m/s. As a result, I got 16 J for slower mass and 64 J for the faster mass. So I think that the work for the faster mass would be 4 times greater than the smaller one

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's right. [itex]W = K \propto v^{2}[/itex], so if [itex]v[/itex] doubles, then [itex]K[/itex] quadruples.

Likes 1 person
Your working looks good to me.

Likes 1 person

What is physics?

Physics is the scientific study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe.

What are the main branches of physics?

The main branches of physics are classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. Other subfields include astrophysics, biophysics, and particle physics.

What are some real-world applications of physics?

Physics has many practical applications, such as designing and improving technology, understanding the behavior of materials, and developing medical imaging techniques. It also helps us understand natural phenomena, such as the motion of planets and the behavior of atoms.

What is the scientific method and how does it relate to physics?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to understanding the natural world through observation, experimentation, and analysis. Physics relies on the scientific method to make accurate observations, form hypotheses, and conduct experiments to test those hypotheses.

What are some common misconceptions about physics?

One common misconception is that physics is only for geniuses or highly skilled individuals. In reality, anyone can learn and understand the basic principles of physics with the right approach. Another misconception is that physics is solely focused on theoretical concepts, when in fact it has many practical applications in our daily lives.