Physics Software Ideas: Create a Simulation for Fun

In summary, the conversation is about creating a physics-oriented software as a hobby. The speaker is looking for suggestions on a simulation of a situation or concept that is not available in existing software. They want the software to cover high-school level physics with interaction and analysis integrated into a single system. The speaker has experience in creating a Flash-based program for gravitation but wants the user to be able to see the numbers in action. They also mention wanting to contribute to the project. The other person in the conversation mentions a cool program called Vad and suggests incorporating more features like energy, momentum, collisions, and graphs. They also mention finding a website with separate applets that cover various physics topics.
Vaal
I would like to create some type of physics oriented software as a hobby but I know there is already a lot of software out there. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a simulation of a situation/concept that they thought would be useful but have been unable to find in other software? (at least reasonably priced software)

Physics news on Phys.org
I would like to see the basics of high-school level physics with both interaction and analysis, all integrated into a single system. I wrote a Flash-based program that handled gravitation quite well, as well as accurate reflection of velocity on impact and air friction, but it didn't allow the user to see the numbers in action. Does that sound possible? I think you can find the reference tables online to see what classes normally cover. And of course, I would love to contribute, if you'd have me.

( http://www.soulfox.com/flash/gravitation2.php )

I think that is definitely a cool idea. I really liked Gravitation 2.0. I thought Vad(http://www.soulfox.com/flash/vad.php) was really cool too.

Were you thinking of something kind of like Vad except with a few more features, a few more numbers on the side and maybe a little more control based on the numbers as opposed to the arrow keys? I think it would be cool to incorporate energy, momentum, collisions and maybe some sort of spring. Also, maybe show graphs of some of these things vs time.

I also found this site, http://www.walter-fendt.de/ph14e/, seems to kind of be what you are talking about except it is a bunch of separate applets as opposed to just one that encompasses a variety of topics.

Let me know what you think.

Related to Physics Software Ideas: Create a Simulation for Fun

What is the purpose of creating a simulation for fun using physics software?

The purpose of creating a simulation for fun using physics software is to provide an entertaining and interactive way to learn about and explore various concepts in physics. It allows users to visualize and manipulate different scenarios and see how they play out according to the laws of physics.

What types of simulations can be created using physics software?

There are many different types of simulations that can be created using physics software. Some examples include simulations of motion, gravity, electricity and magnetism, optics, and thermodynamics. Other simulations can be based on real-world scenarios, such as roller coasters, pendulums, or planetary orbits.

Do I need to have a strong background in physics to use physics software for creating simulations?

While having a basic understanding of physics concepts can be helpful, most physics software is designed to be user-friendly and does not require a strong background in physics. Many programs also provide tutorials and guides to help users get started and learn as they create simulations.

Can simulations created using physics software be used for educational purposes?

Yes, simulations created using physics software can be used for educational purposes. They can be a valuable tool for teachers to use in the classroom to help students understand and visualize complex concepts in physics. They can also be used for self-study and exploration by students of all ages.

Are there any limitations to creating simulations using physics software?

While physics software allows for a wide range of simulations to be created, there may be some limitations depending on the specific program being used. Some simulations may only be able to model certain aspects of physics, and complex simulations may require more advanced software and computing power. Additionally, simulations are simplified versions of real-world scenarios and may not perfectly reflect all aspects of the physical world.