Physics textbook with difficult exercises?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a physics textbook that covers basic kinematics, dynamics, rotational kinematics, rotational dynamics, gravitation, and problems related to work and energy. The person suggests Problems in General Physics by I.E Irodov and 200 Puzzles in Physics by Peter P Gnadig, which both have a lot of challenging problems without much theory. The other person mentions that they have completed Concepts of Physics I and finds Irodov's book too difficult and asks for recommendations for other books with challenging problems. Some suggestions are Shaums Outlines series and Kleppner and Kolenkov's book, which have tough exercises but minimal theory.
Buffu
I am in search of physics textbooks which covers, basic kinematics, dynamics, rotational kinematics, rotational dynamics, gravitation and problems related to work and energy. I don't need theory. I prefer if the contains lots of exercise that are both difficult to solve as well as "concept testing". The book should contain answers even if it is not very detailed. Thanks for the help. :smile::smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I will suggest Problems in general physics by I.E Irodov that is a wonderful book and contains very good problems related to topics you mentioned. It doesn't contain theory and is collection of about 1900 problems including the topics you mentioned another fun book to try is 200 puzzles in physics by Peter P Gnadig.

Likes vanhees71
Vishal Mishra said:
I will suggest Problems in general physics by I.E Irodov that is a wonderful book and contains very good problems related to topics you mentioned. It doesn't contain theory and is collection of about 1900 problems including the topics you mentioned another fun book to try is 200 puzzles in physics by Peter P Gnadig.

Does irodov's book contains problems related to basic mechanics ? because his book "Fundamentals of mechanics" is too difficult for me to understand.

Actually there is a PDF version easily available online for both the books I mentioned try them if you find them difficult then try concepts of physics by H.C Verma the problems especially objectives will clear all your misconceptions. It contains theory as well which is even more marvellous. And trust me you will not find Irodov difficult after reading this book. Can you also tell which standard you are in?

Vishal Mishra said:
Actually there is a PDF version easily available online for both the books I mentioned try them if you find them difficult then try concepts of physics by H.C Verma the problems especially objectives will clear all your misconceptions. It contains theory as well which is even more marvellous. And trust me you will not find Irodov difficult after reading this book. Can you also tell which standard you are in?

I have completed most of "Concepts of physics I". Irodov's book is not what i want, it has weird notations of simple things like cross-product, dot-product and, is certainly aimed for students having higher education than me.
Anyway do you know any other book with problems ?
If not then i have to consider Irodov's book. meh.

Shaums outlines series, in theoretical Mechanics, College Physics , etc, contain problems (many solve), and contain little if any theory.

Kleppner and Kolenkov has tough exercises on mechanics. No answers, though, even if I have read that they can be found on the Internet (but so far I have unsuccesful in finding them).

1. What makes a physics textbook's exercises difficult?

There are several factors that can make exercises in a physics textbook difficult. These include the level of mathematical complexity, the conceptual understanding required, and the level of critical thinking and reasoning involved. Difficult exercises often require students to apply multiple concepts and problem-solving strategies.

2. How can I prepare to tackle difficult exercises in a physics textbook?

The best way to prepare for difficult exercises in a physics textbook is to first have a strong understanding of the basic concepts and principles. Practice with simpler exercises and build up to more challenging ones. Additionally, make sure to read the textbook thoroughly and pay attention to any example problems or explanations provided.

3. What resources are available to help with difficult exercises in a physics textbook?

There are many resources available to help with difficult exercises in a physics textbook. These can include online problem-solving forums, study groups, tutoring services, and even videos or tutorials provided by the textbook's publisher. Your instructor or TA may also offer office hours or additional resources to help with difficult exercises.

4. How can I approach a difficult exercise if I am feeling stuck?

If you are feeling stuck on a difficult exercise in a physics textbook, try breaking it down into smaller, more manageable steps. Look for any relationships or connections between the given information and the problem you are trying to solve. It can also be helpful to talk through the problem with a classmate or instructor, as they may offer a different perspective or insight.

5. What skills can I gain from practicing difficult exercises in a physics textbook?

Practicing difficult exercises in a physics textbook can help develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. These exercises often require students to think outside the box and apply their knowledge in new and challenging ways. Additionally, successfully tackling difficult exercises can build confidence and a deeper understanding of the subject matter.