Physics vs Engineering PhD Admissions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the competitiveness of getting into engineering and physics PhD programs. The speaker notes that it appears more difficult to be admitted into an engineering PhD program than a physics one based on admission statistics. However, they also raise questions about variables that may affect this comparison, such as the sample size, the proportion of graduates interested in pursuing a PhD, and the availability of PhD positions. They also mention the potential risks for students with lower GPAs in both disciplines.
Mark Wolter
I was on the grad cafe looking at admission statistics. It looks like it is much more competitive to get into an engineering PhD program than it is a physics PhD program. Is this true? Most of the GPA's of people who got into the engineering PhD programs had a gpa in the mid to high 3's while I saw several sub 3.0 gpa's being admitted into physics PhD programs (albeit not top ranked ones). I was looking at EE if that helps. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there are too many variables at play to make a broad generalization about which discipline is easier to get into for a PhD.

• Are you comparing physics undergraduates getting into physics PhD programs against engineering graduates getting into engineering programs or against physics graduates applying for engineering programs?
  • What was your sample size?
  • Can you assume that equal proportions of physics graduates and engineering graduates want to get into PhD programs in the first place? I would guess that more engineers would want to start professional careers right away, while more physics graduates would want to go into PhD programs.
  • Are there equal numbers of PhD positions available between the disciplines?
  • It's very rare for sub 3.0 GPAs to be accepted into physics graduate programs (and probably the same for engineers). While it's not impossible, there's a strong risk that such students will not be successful with their qualifying or candidacy examinations.

1. What is the main difference between a Physics PhD and an Engineering PhD?

The main difference between a Physics PhD and an Engineering PhD is the focus of the research. A Physics PhD typically focuses on the fundamental principles and theories of physics, while an Engineering PhD focuses on the application of those principles to solve practical problems and create new technologies.

2. Do I need to have a background in both physics and engineering to apply for these PhD programs?

No, you do not necessarily need a background in both physics and engineering to apply for these PhD programs. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in the field you are applying for and demonstrate a strong interest in the subject matter.

3. Can I apply for both a Physics PhD and an Engineering PhD at the same time?

Yes, you can apply for both a Physics PhD and an Engineering PhD at the same time. However, it is important to carefully consider the specific research interests and requirements of each program and tailor your application accordingly.

4. What types of research opportunities are available for PhD students in Physics and Engineering?

There are a wide variety of research opportunities available for PhD students in both Physics and Engineering. These may include laboratory research, computational modeling, theoretical research, and more. It is important to thoroughly research the programs and faculty at each institution to find the best fit for your interests and goals.

5. Are there any specific qualifications or experiences that are particularly important for admission to these PhD programs?

Admissions requirements for Physics and Engineering PhD programs may vary, but in general, a strong academic record, letters of recommendation, and relevant research experience are important factors. Additionally, having a clear research focus and a strong motivation for pursuing a PhD in the chosen field can also make a significant impact on the admissions decision.