Pilot problem dealing with weight and magnitude of force exerted on pilot's body

In summary, the problem involves a pilot performing a loop-the-loop maneuver in an airplane with a speed of 300 mi/h at the top and 450 mi/h at the bottom. The radius of the circle is 1200 ft and the pilot's true weight is 160 lb. The questions ask for the pilot's apparent weight at the highest and lowest points of the loop. To solve this problem, a free body diagram is needed and the equation used is Fn = -mg + mv^2/r.
dgibbs

Homework Statement

The Pilot of an airplane executes a loop-the-loop manuever in a vertical circle. The airplane's speed is 300 mi/h at the top of the loop and 450 mi/h at the bottom. The radius of the circle is 1200 ft. Use American Engineering units in this problem.

A) The pilot's apparent weight is equal to the magnitude of the force exeted by the seat on his body. What is the pilot's weight at the circle's highest point if his true weight is 160 lb?

B) What is the pilot's apparent weight at the circle's lowest point?

Homework Equations

I know I have to find the some of forces and solve for his weight.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the first step is to draw a FBD and label the forces acting on the pilot.
At the top of the look, with the pilot traveling 300 mi/hr the forces acting are...

Gravitational Force = mg = 32 ft/s^2
w/Pilot's weight = 32 x 160lb = - 5120
Normal Force of seat = Fn = Fg = 5120 ??

I know I have to factor in the velocity but I am not sure what the equation is that i have to use...
Please help thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the right equation...

Fn = -mg + mv^2/r ??

any help please?

Related to Pilot problem dealing with weight and magnitude of force exerted on pilot's body

1. What is the maximum weight and force a pilot can handle during a flight?

The maximum weight and force a pilot can handle during a flight varies depending on factors such as the type of aircraft, duration of the flight, and the pilot's physical fitness. However, on average, a pilot can handle up to 9 times their body weight in force and up to 3-5 G's (gravitational force) before experiencing physical limitations.

2. How does weight and force affect a pilot's body during a flight?

Weight and force can have a significant impact on a pilot's body during a flight. The constant acceleration and deceleration of the aircraft, as well as the vibrations and turbulence, can put a strain on the pilot's musculoskeletal system and cause discomfort. In extreme cases, it can lead to injuries such as whiplash or even loss of consciousness.

3. What measures are taken to minimize the effects of weight and force on pilots?

To minimize the effects of weight and force on pilots, aircraft are designed with ergonomic seating and controls to provide support and reduce strain on the pilot's body. Pilots also undergo rigorous physical training and are required to maintain a healthy lifestyle to better withstand the forces experienced during flight.

4. Are there any safety precautions for pilots to prevent injuries from weight and force?

Yes, there are several safety precautions for pilots to prevent injuries from weight and force. Pilots are required to wear specialized suits, called G-suits, which help redistribute blood flow in the body during high G-force maneuvers. They also undergo regular medical check-ups to ensure they are physically fit to handle the demands of flying.

5. How does the altitude of a flight impact the weight and force experienced by a pilot?

The higher the altitude, the lower the air density, which means there is less air resistance. This can result in a decrease in the magnitude of the force experienced by the pilot. However, at extremely high altitudes, the lack of oxygen can also have a negative impact on the pilot's performance and increase the risk of hypoxia (lack of oxygen to the brain).