Pipe-Line Construction: Dimensional Analysis & Pipe Roughness

• Thread starter Mech-Master
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Construction
In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a pipe-line and the need to choose a specific value for pipe roughness. The individual is using dimensional analysis to find the necessary pi groups, taking into account parameters such as velocity, diameter, density, and viscosity. They also mention the relevance of the Reynolds Number and its relationship to friction in pipes. The individual suggests referring to graphs in an introductory fluids book for more information on the topic.
Mech-Master
I'm designing a pipe-line and need to choose a specific value for pipe roughness. I'm trying to do dimensional analysis to find the needed pi groups.

That's what I did

ε (roughness of the pipe) = fcn(V,D, ρ μ)

V = Velocity

D = Diameter

ρ = density

μ = viscosity

Is there anything else I'm actually missing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If I recall correctly, friction in pipes has to do with the Reynolds Number (which is basically what you're going to find with those). There shouldn't really be any other parameters to consider. You can find graphs relating Reynolds #, relative roughness, and friction factor -- there are even some in my intro fluids book.

Does that answer your question?

Thanks for your message.

Related to Pipe-Line Construction: Dimensional Analysis & Pipe Roughness

1. What is dimensional analysis in pipe-line construction?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical method used to analyze and understand the relationships between different physical quantities in a given system or process. In pipe-line construction, it is used to determine the appropriate pipe dimensions and flow rates based on the desired outcome or performance requirements.

2. Why is pipe roughness important in pipe-line construction?

Pipe roughness refers to the irregularities on the inner surface of a pipe, which can significantly affect the flow of fluids through the pipe. In pipe-line construction, it is important to consider pipe roughness as it can affect the overall efficiency and performance of the pipeline, as well as the maintenance and operation costs.

3. How is pipe roughness measured and quantified?

Pipe roughness is typically measured using a non-dimensional parameter called the roughness coefficient, also known as the "k" factor. This coefficient is determined by dividing the average height of the pipe surface irregularities by the pipe diameter. The higher the k factor, the rougher the pipe surface.

4. What are the common methods to reduce pipe roughness in pipe-line construction?

There are several methods used to reduce pipe roughness in pipe-line construction, including smoothing the inner surface of the pipe, using coatings or linings, and installing inserts or liners. Other methods include regular cleaning and maintenance to remove any build-up or corrosion that can contribute to roughness.

5. How does pipe roughness affect the overall efficiency of a pipeline?

Pipe roughness can cause an increase in friction and turbulence, which can lead to higher pressure drops and energy losses in the pipeline. This can result in decreased flow rates and reduced efficiency of the pipeline. Therefore, minimizing pipe roughness is crucial for maintaining the optimal performance of a pipeline.