Pivoting Rod and Ball - Rotational Dynamics

In summary, the problem involves a cylindrical rod with a ball attached to one end, which is initially vertical and stationary. The goal is to find the rotational kinetic energy after the apparatus falls through 90 degrees. Using the equations for moment of inertia and potential energy, the moment of inertia of the system is found to be 0.0985 and the potential energy is zero at the initial position. To find the rotational kinetic energy, the angular velocity (omega) needs to be determined, but it is not clear how to do so since gravity is not constant throughout the rotation.
DelPopolo

Homework Statement

A cylindrical rod 26.0 cm long with a mass of 1.20 kg and a radius of 1.50 cm has a ball of diameter of 7.80 cm and a mass of 2.00 kg attached to one end. The arrangement is originally vertical and stationary, with the ball at the top. The apparatus is free to pivot about the bottom end of the rod.

(a) After it falls through 90°, what is its rotational kinetic energy?

Homework Equations

KE=1/2I[tex]omega[/tex]^2
I=(2mr^2)/5
I=(2mL^2)/3

The Attempt at a Solution

Moment of inertia=I of rod + I of ball?
I=(2*m*(r+L)^2)/5)+(2mL^2)/3
I'm lost as to finding [tex]\omega[/tex] so I can find KE.

Please point me in the right direction.
Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Moment of Inertia of a rod about pivot is

[tex]I_r=\frac{mL^2}{3}[/tex]

And if you take level of pivet as zero level,after rod falls through 90°,total potential energy will be zero

so we have

[tex]PE_{initial}=\frac{1}{2}I_{total}\omega^2[/tex]

I=(2*m*(r+L)^2)/5)+(mL^2)/3
I=.0985

so

KE=1/2(.0985)[tex]\omega[/tex]^2

I need to find omega so I can find kinetic E. Correct?

How does one find omega? Obviously gravity affects the speed but gravity isn't the same over the entire rotation so how does that work out?

Last edited:
What's the potential energy of this system,when it's at rest?

Related to Pivoting Rod and Ball - Rotational Dynamics

1. What is a pivoting rod and ball?

A pivoting rod and ball is a system where a rod or lever is attached to a fixed point and a ball is attached to the end of the rod. The ball can rotate freely around the fixed point, allowing for rotational movement.

2. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is the study of the motion of objects that rotate or have a spinning motion. It involves understanding the forces and torques that act on these objects and how they affect their motion.

3. How does the length of the rod affect the rotational dynamics?

The length of the rod can affect the rotational dynamics in several ways. A longer rod will have a larger moment of inertia, making it harder to rotate. It also affects the torque applied to the system and the angular velocity of the ball.

4. What is the relationship between torque and angular acceleration in a pivoting rod and ball system?

The relationship between torque and angular acceleration in a pivoting rod and ball system is described by the equation τ = Iα, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. This means that the torque applied to the system will result in an angular acceleration, which is directly proportional to the moment of inertia.

5. How does friction affect the rotational dynamics of a pivoting rod and ball?

Friction can have a significant impact on the rotational dynamics of a pivoting rod and ball system. It can cause a decrease in the angular velocity and acceleration, as well as create a net torque on the system. This frictional torque can also cause the system to come to a stop if it is greater than the applied torque.