Placing rock under ladder to stop it from slipping

In summary, the conversation is about explaining the solutions to parts (a) and (b) of a problem. There is confusion about where the value of 5.77 cm came from, and someone suggests using similar triangles to solve the problem. They also mention drawing a diagram to better understand the problem. Eventually, it is understood that the value of 5.77 cm was obtained through the use of similar triangles.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For part(a) and (b),
1675394717684.png

The solution is,
1675394798329.png

Can someone please explain the solutions to (a) and (b) to me? I don't understand where they got 5.77 cm from.

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
They used b to get a.

What answer did you get ?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
hmmm27 said:
They used b to get a.

What answer did you get ?
Thanks for your reply @hmmm27 ! The got 5.77 cm. But don't you think that is a little strange using (b) to get (a)?

I still don't understand (b). Many thanks!

Last edited:
So, what answer did you get ? and how did you arrive at it.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
hmmm27 said:
So, what answer did you get ? and how did you arrive at it.
I did't get an answer @hmmm27. I am wondering how the solutions arrived at their anwser.

Callumnc1 said:
is a little strange using (b) to get (a)?
Not at all. The answer to part b) is the explanation of how they arrived at the solution to a). Presumably this uses ideas earlier in the chapter, but I do not have the book.
Draw a diagram showing the ladder in both positions. Label the right-hand foot of the ladder P (the pivot point), the right-hand top of the tilted ladder B, the right-hand top of the upright ladder B', the left-hand bottom of the tilted ladder A, the left-hand bottom of the upright ladder A'.
Drop a vertical from A' to meet the sloping ground.
Draw a horizontal from B to meet PB'.
Spot similar triangles.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
Not at all. The answer to part b) is the explanation of how they arrived at the solution to a). Presumably this uses ideas earlier in the chapter, but I do not have the book.
Draw a diagram showing the ladder in both positions. Label the right-hand foot of the ladder P (the pivot point), the right-hand top of the tilted ladder B, the right-hand top of the upright ladder B', the left-hand bottom of the tilted ladder A, the left-hand bottom of the upright ladder A'.
Drop a vertical from A' to meet the sloping ground.
Draw a horizontal from B to meet PB'.
Spot similar triangles.
Thank you @haruspex , I will try that!

Callumnc1 said:
Can someone please explain the solutions to (a) and (b) to me? I don't understand where they got 5.77 cm from.

Many thanks!
I don’t see a reason for translating tilting into angle and back to vertical displacement of the left leg.
Are you familiar with similar triangles?

https://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/triangles-similar.html

If so, I would draw a 0.41 x 0.41 square at the bottom of the rectangle formed by the ladder dimensions.
The horizontal displacement of the top corners of that square should be equal to the vertical one, and both should be proportional to the horizontal displacement of the top of the ladder.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Lnewqban said:
I don’t see a reason for translating tilting into angle and back to vertical displacement of the left leg.
Are you familiar with similar triangles?

https://www.mathsisfun.com/geometry/triangles-similar.html

If so, I would draw a 0.41 x 0.41 square at the bottom of the rectangle formed by the ladder dimensions.
The horizontal displacement of the top corners of that square should be equal to the vertical one, and both should be proportional to the horizontal displacement of the top of the ladder.
Thank you for your reply @Lnewqban ! Yeah I'm familiar with similar triangles.

Callumnc1 said:
Thank you for your reply @Lnewqban ! Yeah I'm familiar with similar triangles.
You are welcome. :smile:
Then, you now understand where they got 5.77 cm from.

We have two triangles that are similar, then their corresponding angles are congruent and corresponding sides are in equal proportion.

Please, see scaled drawing representing our problematic ladder.

Attachments

• Tilting ladder.pdf
    21.3 KB · Views: 66
Likes ChiralSuperfields
Lnewqban said:
You are welcome. :smile:
Then, you now understand where they got 5.77 cm from.

We have two triangles that are similar, then their corresponding angles are congruent and corresponding sides are in equal proportion.

Please, see scaled drawing representing our problematic ladder.
That is very helpful @Lnewqban ! Thank you for your help!

Likes Lnewqban

1. How does placing rocks under a ladder prevent it from slipping?

Placing rocks under a ladder increases the friction between the ladder and the ground, making it less likely to slip or slide.

2. What type of rocks should be used to prevent a ladder from slipping?

Any type of heavy, solid rock can be used to prevent a ladder from slipping. However, flat and smooth rocks may provide the most stability.

3. Is it safe to use rocks to stabilize a ladder?

As long as the rocks are placed securely and the ladder is properly positioned, it can be safe to use rocks to stabilize a ladder. However, it is always important to exercise caution when using ladders.

4. Can other objects be used instead of rocks to prevent a ladder from slipping?

Yes, other objects such as sandbags, bricks, or even heavy books can be used to prevent a ladder from slipping. The key is to use a heavy and solid object that can increase friction between the ladder and the ground.

5. Are there any risks associated with using rocks to stabilize a ladder?

One potential risk is that the rocks may shift or move while the ladder is in use, causing the ladder to become unstable. It is important to regularly check and readjust the rocks as needed to ensure the ladder remains stable.